Qobuz price reduction

I only renewed in july - £160 for the old legacy Sublime package which offered discounted hi-res downloads but only CD quality streaming. Only £20 per annum more for the hi-res Sublime package now so seems like a no-brainer to upgrade.

May I ask when you click ‘Subscribe’ if it takes you to a confirmation screen with the pro-rata price or does it just process it?

Clicking on the link in the email takes you to the normal subscription choice page. Then you click the one you want (can also be a different one, so you can go from Studio to Sublime) and it logs you in, and then it shows the new price for you.
(It’s initially a bit confusing but I suppose it first has to log you in, so it knows who you are and can show you the correct pro-rated price. But I suppose they could have done a dedicated landing page when coming from the email for renewal with some info)

When the hi-res downloads are cheaper than CD quality (no discount) for selected old and new releases the Sublime discounts are very welcome.

The only caveat is that sometimes in sales, depending on the label I think, the downloads are actually cheaper for anyone to purchase with no additional Sublime discount - the sale price can be lower than the normal Sublime discounted price. Some labels however offer Sublime subscribers sale prices discounted beyond the sale price.

I’ve not had an email. Can navigate to the subscription pages though.

Just log in and select the package you want……it works out the Pro Rata cost….
You then just pay via whatever means or decline.

1 Like

Then I’m sure you can simply go to the normal subscription page (which happened from the email anyway) and click the subscription you want, and it will do the same and show you the pro-rated price that you can choose to pay or not

For once I bought nothing in the ‘big sale’. I thought the vouchers were a bit stingy as you had to buy a lot more to use the modest voucher savings - they were also time limited to a few weeks or a month I think.

Just wanted to be sure that clicking ‘Subscribe’ showed the pro-rated price rather than processing it immediately.

Yep, it does. This was initially my worry/confusion too when landing on the normal subscription page, coming from the email

1 Like

I see. The point of my question (that was answered) is really that if one doesn’t purchase downloads at all (I don’t), it’s rather pointless upgrading to Sublime. I have a SSD loaded with CD and HiRes files attached to my Roon server and it has had no changes (i.e. no new files) since I started using Roon with Qobuz.

Replied to your question before seeing further responses, so yes if you don’t purchase downloads probably no benefit for you currently.

1 Like

I would rather go to Amazon, buy the CD, rip it to my NAS. You may say hires may sound better than CD, but it is not entirely true most of the cases.

I’m certainly not convinced there’s a huge difference between CD quality and hi-res streams/downloads.

I’ve tended to purchase the physical CDs when there’s no hi-res download available - the reason is simply the cost as Qobuz do not discount items (for Sublime subscriptions) at CD quality even if there’s no hi-res version to buy which is daft. Naturally the CDs are often available cheaper than downloads too. I guess many things I purchase to download I already have on CD/vinyl.

I just have Premiere. I buy from Bandcamp if I can. Then look at Qobuz if not available. If it’s too high price I buy the cd from Amazon. I don’t buy enough from them to pay for sublime, I tried it for a few months once and even with the discount some where we’ll overpriced. I feel some they still charge more for to compensate the cheaper ones.

1 Like

Check your spam/junk mail folder, that’s where mine went.

1 Like

Thanks, did check yesterday but nothing there - possibly as I’m on an old unavailable tariff.

1 Like

My offer said I had to wait until Monday to renew my annual streaming plan and get a prorated discount.

Weird that it isn’t the same for everyone. Are you maybe less than s month into your subscription year?

Interesting to see how so many people happily spend thousands and thousands on kit, but then celebrate a £2 per month saving on the best quality streaming service available for running native within the Naim ecosystem. Personally, I’m actually quite alarmed by this reduction, because if Qobuz feel the need to start chasing custom this is potentially a slippery slope. They will never ‘out-market’ some of the higher profile competitors, so where will this leave us if they fold? Spotify? Tidal without the benefit of MQA?

Careful what you wish for, I say. I’d happily pay double to help sustain a healthy, financially viable Qobuz.

6 Likes

Sadly, I think Qobuz will come under increased competitor pressure as Apple and Spotify move to CD quality streaming. Most of Qobuz’s customer base are audiophiles who value CD or Hi-res streaming over MP3/320kps streaming. With the difference between CD quality and hi-res being either being minor or inaudible they are at risk of losing customers to Apple and Spotify with their richer ecosystems and larger databases. As much as I like Qobuz I will have to seriously consider dropping their services once Spotify release their CD quality streaming service. The rest of the family are on Spotify and I don’t like paying two fees for essentially the same thing.

3 Likes