Qobuz the best!

I’ve tried all the music apps now. I hesitate to post here when all I have is a lowly Muso 2, but none of them have the depth of sound and stereo image that I get from Qobuz. It’s a bugger to search and I can’t find out how to shuffle tracks but what a sound!

3 Likes

But variety is the spice of life.

My only Naim is also a Muso-2. I agree that Qobuz and the Muso are wonderful together. And a great value I think even considering the high cost of Naim gear. Mrs. mike33 even approves of it in the main living area! Out of curiosity, are you using a hard-wired or wifi connection?

2 Likes

hi @mikeo999 absolutely agree - i love qobuz on my muso2 - and not so lowly - it is a beautiful piece of design - both for looks and SQ.
to shuffle tracks in the app -say on an album - you need to start playing it then go to the track level and select the crossing arrows to left under the time playing. i am never sure if it works immediately so tend to then stop play and select play again. BUT beware shuffle will remain on until you select again to turn it off - eg it will still be set on next day on any album or playlist.

1 Like

I’m using wifi over a mesh system. It occasionally drops the connection, but I’ve found that switching it off at the mains and then back on again quickly restores it. A small price to pay for that sound quality!

Quboz does sound good but it’s catalogue is not great if you are younger.

Define younger! Im 59, like some, but not much, young stuff

1 Like

I tried quboz but my two boys said the choice was not there compared to tidal so we went back to tidal.

1 Like

It’s choice is lacking and I am not young either. :slight_smile: But for this forum I am most likely. I still have both for this reason. As Qobuz has something’s Tidal doesn’t and hires is a bonus.

I have also opted for Qobuz, mostly on SQ grounds. Content also is an attraction, but that may change if the likes of Primephonic get integrated into streamers.

Roger

1 Like

I would rather have a better selection of music than a restricted one based on sq

1 Like

So would I. That’s the other reason I opted for Qobuz.

Roger

Not sure what your argument here is, but hey fill yer boots! I don’t particularly care!

We had a run off between Spotify Premium, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Premier. The best sounding was clearly Qobuz, then Tidal at a close 2nd and Spotify a very obvious 3rd. Went for Qobuz with Spotify as a backup, to fill in the blanks.

2 Likes

I still a year on run Spotify (for playlists), Tidal Hifi mainly on the go and MQA, plus Qubuz Sublime.

Qobuz is hopeless being used as mobile even with downloaded content, music choice is more classic, but yes I can find most of want I listen to in 24 bit.

Tidal is so Rap USA centric, but again search and you can find everything, but all CD quality. Used in the go and in the car allot, also used with my AS Cobalt for the full MQA unfold.

Spotify if only they would go full HiRes, their playlists, catalogue and auto play mix Roon Radio type function.

In summary if Tidal would become less Jay Z centric I could live with it.

2 Likes

Currently I’m using Deezer as my backup as I love their playlists. Quality is not up to Qobuz standards and a shame no integration with the NAIM app but Chromecast works well.

Interesting my son said the opposite … with Qobuz having the best choice for what I can only call more ‘alternative’ music … although both are limited compared to Spotify…apparently. Tidal seems to be best for US ‘urban’ and gangster style music… if that floats your boat.

Yes I have also found Qobuz usually better choice than Tidal, especially for more European/British music… but still both limited in places… and then I buy the CD… but where Tidal excels is with its curated playlists… Qobuz is getting better here but further to go…
Oh yes the other irritant with Qobuz… is it’s definition of folk, being a folk fan (and some one who is lamenting the suspension of regular Folk East this year), Qobuz’s interpretation is anything but, tending to be MOTR US singer song writer which to me is something a galaxy away from real folk music… it might be a cultural thing where US and British have very different understandings and sensibilities of folk music… perhaps US Bluegrass is closest to (British) folk

2 Likes

Tidal Master is a bad design decision, MQA, it is a deal breaker. Everything else is better than Qobuz.

The problem with Qobuz is that I cannot find some albums, I am not talking about some rare or exotic albums, I am dumb-struck to find that some of most well-known, and popular albums are not to be found on Qubuz.

However, I pick Qobuz over Tidal, none is perfect, but you have to live within the constraints.

1 Like

@Simon-in-Suffolk is absolutely right about qobuz coverage of folk music - but not only do they include much that isn’t really folk - their coverage of world and folk is very poor- possibly this is because so much is on tiny labels? so i follow @MikeyBoy strategy- qobuz with spotify as backup. but if spotify can sign up small independent labels why can’t qobuz do the same?

1 Like

I agree. As just one example, I enjoy the often gloomy music of the Unthank sisters. There is some available on Qobuz, but it’s a pretty limited selection. On the classical side, the whole of the outstanding Hyperion catalogue is missing. Neither of these omissions really bother me, though. I don’t expect a streaming service to have everything I want to listen to. Rather, I see streaming in part as a way of exploring new material, new genres even, and comparing performances. I still buy CDs and downloads, particularly of folk and classical but considerably fewer than I used to, and even allowing for the Qobuz subscription cost I’m quids in.

Roger