Qobuz

When hardware is not capable to integrate Qobuz (NAC N272 for example), make it easyer to change a piece of harware, so integrate a streaming module in your streamer which is easy replaceable…Good example: airplanes; also after a long time of use often modifications or re-design are offered by the factory to integrate new stuff (avionics, engines etc…)

Well as this advanced transport and renderer ‘module’ is about a third of the design of the new streamers… I am not sure it is easily replaceable… there was a complete re design to minimise noise etc… this isn’t modular plug and play electronics on a technicians work bench, these are integrated products designed as a whole… and Naim explained in one of their talks at the factory they have had to move away from the modularity of some of their earlier designs to improve on performance, especially in the areas of of RF interference, ground plane modulation, decoupling, electromagnetic noise management especially on the digital side.

In your example of an aeroplane… the streamer transport is equivalent to the wings… wings are not easy to replace without completely modifying and changing the aeroplane.

1 Like

Qobuz on ‘older’ legacy products. I use mconnectHD app to listen to hi-res music on my ND5 XS streamer, which connects with no problem.
I have had Tidal subscription for some time and currently have took up the free months trial of Qobuz to compare. Hi-Res music on new recordings is a big improvement to ‘normal’ ie 44 CD resolution, but not on older recordings of music, clearly showing the limitations of recording quality at that time. Old recordings ‘Remastered’ sound different, but I would say not markedly better, (To my ears)
Bubbleupnp app (Android)also allows Qobuz Hi-Res to be streamed.
Both apps approx £5.

Hi Simon, thanks for reply, , I have to accept this, but you can also order a tuner module into your 272, so why not a streamer module…hi,hi.
It’s that I am extremely satisfied with Naim products / philosophy and sound for already 40 years…, so let see it as a little slip of the pen from Naim designers…

You can’t retrofit a tuner module into a 272 actually…

Latest update from Naim here:

4 Likes

Naim is delighted to exclude you and your Superuniti from this update.

Never ever will I buy a Naim product again. The Superuniti and the Ovators will be my last.

Pathetic support.

1 Like

I feel your pain. I am just livid that Subaru refuses to update my Outback to the new turbo H4 engine, and I’ve only had it two years. I’ll never buy a Subaru again. :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, no one is making digital hardware that is fully future proof. Naim had a pretty good run keeping the legacy platform up to date with new features and fixes for about 10 years or so. I had a ND5-XS for some 6-7 years. I added a Roon bridge to it for a bit last year, but sold it and bought a NDX2. If my NDX2 can stay current for the next 10 years I will be pleased. When it is superseded and can not get the latest and greatest firmware updates I may or may not replace it.

6 Likes

Which of the streaming services that do not yet exist would you like Naim to design their current range of streamers to support?

9 Likes

Hi Richard, I haven’t seen the update showing up on my ND555 also not when searching for updates. Am I missing something, as the I,press ion was given that it would be available last week ?

1 Like

That’s a shame, but perhaps Naim is not for everyone…

1 Like

Naim launched the SuperUniti in 2011 and discontinued the product in 2017.

When launched the SuperUniti supported local streaming and Spotify, Naim then squeezed Tidal into the product do you expect Naim to carry on squeezing new services for the foreseeable future?

The SuperUniti still provides the services when you first purchased the product.

2 Likes

Bert, it was but there’s been a slight delay as a couple of issues cropped up on the Beta at the last minute. See the latest updated info from Naim here:

3 Likes

If fact, even Spotify was only added some time after the SU was released. It was done in time for the release of the Musos, I suspect because Naim saw it as well suited to their target market. The original streamers and Unitis started life with local streaming only.

1 Like

The only word missing is from the penultimate paragraph. ‘Hopefully’.

This is like saying everyone should get a free DR upgrade. I’d like native Qobuz in my 272 but cannot have it, and that’s that really. Though if you plan to man the barricades in Salisbury, let me know and I’ll be there.

Why does @domenico need a Naim update to be able to stream Qobuz to his Superuniti? Does it not support upnp? I have been using Logitech Media Server (LMS) for many years, now in the form of Daphile, and with a simple Qobuz and upnp plugin, you have the capability to stream Qobuz to a upnp enabled player. There may be other options for him too that I am not aware of.

4 Likes

Indeed, there are a number if ways to get Qobuz onto an old Naim streamer, some of them free. BubbleUPnP server is another option.

2 Likes

It is quite unrealistic to expect Naim to support Qobuz (Chromecast, Airplay, etc.) in the first-generation streamers. But what Naim have failed to deliver is a little plug and play box that only contains the NP800 streaming board and that can be connected to legacy DACs and streamers via S/PDIF. From this perspective the support for legacy DACs and streamers indeed is not very inspiring.

1 Like

It’s great that Naim still provide support including firmware fixes from when Tidal have made changes. This is as much as you can expect from a 10 year old platform that originally was only designed for local streaming.

3 Likes