Qobuz

Chromecast can and does support gapless, it app creators being lazy and seem to avoid using it correctly. It’s gapless for Google Play Music and Roon. Roon worked closely with Google to ensure they got the best out of the device, works brilliantly.

I’m sure that you’re right in those instances. In my experience it does not support gapless for direct Tidal, Qobuz or UPnP streaming in the entity that exists in my NDX2 or the other Chromecast Audio unit plugged into my other system.

1 Like

Naim- Please tell us when to expect the release of the Qobuz firmware update. I’m in the US and it’s a bit past due based on the Naim announcements.

Thanks!

2 Likes

It would probably be best to announce when it’s actually ready rather than pre-empting it and then disappointing when they hit some unexpected delay.

6 Likes

I’ll liaise with naim and update you on the situation when I hear back.

3 Likes

Richard, has the support for legacy kit like my Unitiqute 2 been put to bed? Seems that way from following earlier posts.

I think Stevesky’s post earlier in this thread gives a pretty comprehensive answer to that.

1 Like

Yes, also encouraging to see that had the hardware been capable, they likely would have tried to add Qobuz.

Thanks i missed that one. I would be interested to know what projected ‘shelf-life’ a Uniti Atom has if I upgraded? 5 years or so?

Well the old streamers were developed in around 2008, so they lasted about 10 years, but who knows what the future will bring.

I suspect it’s more than just the hardware. Tidal integration into the sub-optimal old platform took a great deal of resources to set up and maintain, and I suspect having to do the same with Qobuz, in addition to supporting the new platform, would be a considerable drain on resources.

1 Like

Well today I did a full sweep of my Roon Qobuz/Tidal and added pretty much most of my Tidal to Qobuz, some exceptions I can live without some others I have bought the cd’s instead as I had them as lossy MP3 and AAC from my old iTunes days so needed replacing. So it’s good bye Tidal for now. Qobuz has improved and over the last year I’ve added from Qobuz and not Tidal as a first choice. Feels like leaving an old friend as I have been a subscriber since it started. But I can’t justify Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify anymore.

5 Likes

When hardware is not capable to integrate Qobuz (NAC N272 for example), make it easyer to change a piece of harware, so integrate a streaming module in your streamer which is easy replaceable…Good example: airplanes; also after a long time of use often modifications or re-design are offered by the factory to integrate new stuff (avionics, engines etc…)

Well as this advanced transport and renderer ‘module’ is about a third of the design of the new streamers… I am not sure it is easily replaceable… there was a complete re design to minimise noise etc… this isn’t modular plug and play electronics on a technicians work bench, these are integrated products designed as a whole… and Naim explained in one of their talks at the factory they have had to move away from the modularity of some of their earlier designs to improve on performance, especially in the areas of of RF interference, ground plane modulation, decoupling, electromagnetic noise management especially on the digital side.

In your example of an aeroplane… the streamer transport is equivalent to the wings… wings are not easy to replace without completely modifying and changing the aeroplane.

1 Like

Qobuz on ‘older’ legacy products. I use mconnectHD app to listen to hi-res music on my ND5 XS streamer, which connects with no problem.
I have had Tidal subscription for some time and currently have took up the free months trial of Qobuz to compare. Hi-Res music on new recordings is a big improvement to ‘normal’ ie 44 CD resolution, but not on older recordings of music, clearly showing the limitations of recording quality at that time. Old recordings ‘Remastered’ sound different, but I would say not markedly better, (To my ears)
Bubbleupnp app (Android)also allows Qobuz Hi-Res to be streamed.
Both apps approx £5.

Hi Simon, thanks for reply, , I have to accept this, but you can also order a tuner module into your 272, so why not a streamer module…hi,hi.
It’s that I am extremely satisfied with Naim products / philosophy and sound for already 40 years…, so let see it as a little slip of the pen from Naim designers…

You can’t retrofit a tuner module into a 272 actually…

Latest update from Naim here:

4 Likes

Naim is delighted to exclude you and your Superuniti from this update.

Never ever will I buy a Naim product again. The Superuniti and the Ovators will be my last.

Pathetic support.

1 Like

I feel your pain. I am just livid that Subaru refuses to update my Outback to the new turbo H4 engine, and I’ve only had it two years. I’ll never buy a Subaru again. :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, no one is making digital hardware that is fully future proof. Naim had a pretty good run keeping the legacy platform up to date with new features and fixes for about 10 years or so. I had a ND5-XS for some 6-7 years. I added a Roon bridge to it for a bit last year, but sold it and bought a NDX2. If my NDX2 can stay current for the next 10 years I will be pleased. When it is superseded and can not get the latest and greatest firmware updates I may or may not replace it.

6 Likes