Qobuz

Is the Naim Qobuz update still scheduled to be released this week, as stated in Naim Connection and Richard’s posting ?

It’s not about scheduling, but when it’s ready.

Best
David

2 Likes

Probably, but they scheduled it to be ready this week. :crazy_face:

Maybe it is not ready to be scheduled?

It doesn’t really seem too fair a sentence, both because it’s not strictly true, and, fundamentally, and this forum as evidence, as because there are really few manufacturers interacting with their users so much by laying themselves in explanations and descriptions of his understanding and doing things.

I suspect it has been scheduled but is not ready.

No rush though, need to make sure everything is right.

2 Likes

Seems to be a lot of complaints when Naim don’t quite get it right much better to wait a short time to eleviate any niggly problems prior to the full release.

1 Like

Looks like Patrick Spence CEO of Sonos backpedals and states all products will work past May

“We heard you,” writes Spence, indicating the decision to stop supporting older products was deeply unpopular with its users. “We did not get this right from the start.”

2 Likes

Let’s see, I’ve been using the Logitech Media Server (in the form of Daphile now) for over ten years. Via 3rd party plugins it has kept up with the times.

Open source is not dependent on the company or author that originally created it. Even if the company fails, the code continues to exist and be developed by its users. Also, it uses open standards accessible to everyone; thus, it does not have the problem of incompatible formats that exist in proprietary software.

I’m streaming Qobuz to my Muso-2 now as I write this!

1 Like

Not sure that Sonos will stop working, my understanding is that “legacy” products in my case
four Connect amps and a first series Play 5 will no longer receive updates after May 2020. Mine are around 10 years old and the designs are earlier than that. They have been totally faultless in all that time and function perfectly, indeed the operating system I find better than my Naim units. Nevertheless I have a decision to make about replacing them for those parts of the house where non critical listening is required.

It would be good if these companies started designing all of their kit so that the silicon could be upgraded. I know the earlier uniti systems could be upgraded with a new card, seems like a good idea to me. It’s a shame to have to throw away a perfectly good speaker because the DSP/CPU etc is outdated in a few years time. Would be a good selling point imo.

Which Airports? Are they extremely old?

I can’t remember which ones exactly anymore. At the time they were obsoleted I was surprised since I had them for maybe 5 years since I bought them new, but they worked just fine for me. First Apple came out with new management software that didn’t work with those old Airport Express. Then the next OS upgrade wouldn’t even run the older software for them. I was left with devices that worked perfectly, but no reasonable way to manage/configure them.

I’ve got an old Airtunes capable Express and a flat white Extreme - I need to dig them out to see if they’ll be any use at some point.

Changing the Airport configuration software was annoying I agree, and it’s a shame they discontinued their Airport/Time Capsule line entirely.

I have an ancient iMac running Snow Leopard, and a few other Macs that can run older OS X installations so I can probably coax them to work - the Extreme in particular might be handy as a wifi extender though there are newer better technologies available.

I have an Airport Extreme and a Time Capsule. The Wifi performance on them is really pretty lackluster, after I upgraded my MacBook Pro (to mid-208 model) it constantly dropped connections. I have since tossed the Airport Extreme and reconfigured the Time Capsule as a network drive only, attached to a switch. Its used for remote backups of my wife’s laptop, and has Wifi disabled. I have since gone to Linksys Velop Mesh for home Wifi.

There are certain things Apple does well. Networking is not one of those.

1 Like

Yes, I suspect that’s why they disbanded the Airport team. The Time Capsule is handy in fairness but I’ve rarely restored from it, preferring to make clones of startup drives with Carbon Copy Cloner.

I think AirPort stuff was as good as anything in its day. Sure, there are better products around today, but the Apple stuff still works fine for an awful lot of people. If only other brands used the same plain English in their setup menus instead of that ridiculous jargon that most networking products are lumbered with, the world would be a slightly better place.

The setup for my Linksys Velops Wifi was automagical and just as easy, or easier, as any Apple device.

I think the SQ through Chromecast is pretty good. It is a shame however that it doesn’t support gapless playback which rules it out for me.

It does seem strange to me that Naim, having announced a target date, don’t feel it appropriate to provide a simple update on revised release date for their Qobuz related launch. I’ve no problem with dates being put back, silence is a bit different.

Peter

5 Likes