Quality Non-Audiophile Mains Block

Filter Schmilter. :-1:t2:

1 Like

Please expand on this sceptical comment. :slightly_smiling_face:

No filter keep it real. :roll_eyes:

Can’t beat a no-nonsense hydra for audiophile extravaganza avoidance.

3 Likes

Yes a TNT Hydra much better than others. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I would loved to have a Chord M6 in my system, but unfortunately they are quite expensive.

(Pictures from my dealer’s visit to Chord a few weeks ago)

I attended most of a long demo of EM noise reduction technologies by Chord at the recent Northwest audio show.

The main presenter made a similar claim: that the ‘Aray’ technology in Chord UK mains plugs have a generalised positive effect on sound quality even when they are just plugged into a mains socket that is near your hi-fi system.

Those three silver canisters in the M6 are each, according to the Chord representative mentioned in my previous post, effectively the same as one Chord ‘GroundAray’ unit.

“…a next-generation high-frequency, noise-reduction device that connects to unused sockets on hi-fi and/or audiovisual equipment providing a low-impedance route for HF noise to pass through, directly improving the noise floor of the ‘host’ product.”

Apologies for drift into Audiophile mains blocks.

[In the above picture, it’s hard to tell whether that’s a shadow from the man’s hand on his trousers, or whether he’s overexcited about the Aray technology. :slightly_smiling_face:]

I recently came across this Makro Audio power block which is made in Germany. It seems to tick all the boxes and is very reasonably priced too.

3 Likes

Is that star wired?

I thought the OP was not asking about mains blocks for the hifi itself? That’s another matter!:slight_smile:

As for having filters connected nearby, I believe the more sophisticated passive ones (such as the Chord groundarays or similar) may have an impact as they are designed to “suck” noise in but I would not think that this applies in any really perceptible way to the inline basic filters such as the Tacima (when connected somewhere else in the house)

Thanks, I always wanted to take a peek in one of those - so 3 groundarays with busbars? hm?

Excitement about the money he will make. :rofl:

1 Like

Now that really is sceptical, Skeptical.

1 Like

Aray means.
Name Aray or (no variations) means Golden .
Person with name Aray may have an innovative mind.
Make your own mind up. :crazy_face:

Sorry Jim, I should have said, had a negative effect on SQ. Naim really didn’t like them at all. But of course everyones setup, and mains supply is different.

I wish I had noticed that talk, would have been interesting. At least with most of these expensive blocks you can generally return if they dont have a positive effect.

No its RADIAL wired, but if it keeps you happy, then (sigh) its star wired. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The 3 core input cable L,N & E wires each connect to the L,N & E copper bars which are each a single L. N or E single connection point.
The x6 output cables are radial out from each of the connection bars

2 Likes

Do you think star wiring vs radial wiring is irrelevant to the effect on SQ of mains power blocks in Naim systems?

No ! Radial and star are the same, both radiate out from a central point.
The terms used relate to either power systems with radial and with signal/electronics it’s star.

But don’t take this too seriously, it’s my leg pull.

Sorry, I’m being dim!

The radials go from the centre to the edge as the radius does.