Qubuz and NDS

Hi
I have an NDS and wonder if it’s possible to stream Qubuz to the NDS from a networked PC.
The PC runs Asset.
I couldn’t find this specific request on the forums
Thanks

1 Like

Funny just thinking the same thing only a few minutes ago since I have Qobuz on my new Muso 2.

Googled it and a Naim thread came up - so it’s been discussed before on the forum.

Just Google ‘Qobuz on Naim NDS’

Hi Andy
That doesn’t show any Google hits for me. There is an NDX one connecting phone to NDX by cable, but not Ethernet
I did find a forum thread but that was using roon which I don’t have.
Can you attach a link to the thread?

Try this

Thanks Andy

1 Like

Hmm, seems a bit hit and miss.
Looks like I’ll have to play around unless anyone else has direct experience since that post

Same conclusion I reached. Oh well suppose I’ll have to buy an ND555 to solve the problem.

1 Like

If only… actually I find the Naim attitude to firmware for the NDS disappointing. I can fully understand where the NDS is hardware limited, new encoding, higher data rates etc, but I am not convinced it’s the case for Qubuz integration. However, I may be wrong.
With a policy of repair support for life, presumably they expect customers to keep them for life so should still do firmware improvements if technically possible. A new 555 is a bit much for a customer who’s already bought an NDS. These are big investments.
The way of the world I guess

I used foobar 2000 which has a upnp add on or ububblepnp. My pc had a soundcard with spdif that I took to the nds

The 1st generation streamers were originally designed for local streaming. Updates did come along, first Spotify and then Tidal was squeezed into the limited space.

There are several ways of streaming Qobuz, the best being Bubble UPnP server or Roon.

Some have had success with MConnnect.

The solution would be , for you, to buy an Nd5xs2, connected in SPDIF to your NDS.
Maybe I will take that route, but I would like to know first if the upgrade in sound vs Nds /555 dr for local streaming is worthwhile. For Qobuz and Tidal, it should be an uplift for sure.

BubbleUPnP (not Bubble UPnP server as suggested - a different product) on Android
and MConnect on IOS.
Easy.

1 Like

As with anything cheaper options are available but why hobble an NDS in this manner?

Absolutely possible - use the NDS within Roon, with a UPnP Bridge between the Roon Core, feeding the Ethernet input.
You get a better Tidal interface too, plus the whole metadata management for anything you store locally.

I use the SonoreUPnP Bridge on a Sonore UltraRendu, but have also a ‘LMS2UPNP’ solution running on a RaspberryPi, where I also run Asset UPnP server.
I also believe the RooUPNP solution works well.

No need to upgrade to a ND555, just get a Roon Core server and UPnP Bridge to ‘Roonify the NDS.

2 Likes

Agreed, feeding the NDS with a S/PDIF is a crazy solution, like buying an NDX2 to use a Chord DAVE DAC.
Just use the best input on the NDS, the Ethernet input and bypass all the limitations of the BridgeCo. board by using a Roon Core to interface to all streaming service, manage all your music and consolidate into a UPnP stream to the NDS.

1 Like

Another vote for BubbleUPnP here, I used it for a UQ1 rubbing off an Android phone, without any problems.

I do combine it with BubbleUPnP server to transcode to WAV, but that’s not essential.

@Diver99 IIRC there’s a thread somewhere where Naim technical staff explain they could do Tidal integration on the gen 1 streamers a bit easier than they could for Qobuz. I also thought they could do one, but not both, due to compute resources, I just couldn’t find a reference for that point

Yes, does the job admirably when the Naim App natively cannot.

I am not sure to completely agree. I agree if the goal is only to have Qobuz on the old streamer. Adding an Nd5xs2 is too expensive . A Sonore rendu is a good option indeed.
But if the goal, as mine, is to improve the sound quality, then it can be an option.
However no one for now shared on how sounds an Nd5xs2 or Ndx2 in Spdif to Nds.
I stay curious for that option.

Just not a fan of S/PDIF for anything beyond Redbook, where it was a design compromise like the actual standard.

1 Like

I have been using the Nd5xs2 into my trusty NDS via the naim DC1 cable for Qobuz,radio paradise etc, can’t fault it -sounds fabulous

2 Likes