Radikal 2 demo

I think with Cymbiosis it’s included in the price of the kit. It was when Peter upgraded my LP12 to Karousel

1 Like

I think that is fair comment. However, Linn themselves have never made claims that the more expensive case improved SQ. I wonder if that position has changed with the new versions?

There’s already a thread « New Linn Ekstatic and Radikal « , as Clare pointed. Too many Linn threads may indeed be a little too much. Specially now, as there is the Solstice.

1 Like

Interesting. Wondering what the Rad II improves over the Rad I when used for the motor only.

1 Like

Apparently it does. I’ll want to hear that for myself before committing of course. Still need to get the Karousel assessed and fitted. Assuming the hype is true of course.

Good Evening All,

I have posted on other forums and, possibly here, about the audition I attended down at Cymbiosis in August 2019. Peter very kindly/ patiently went through just about every possibility up to Klimax level.

It was fairly easy to determine improvements with each change, especially played through active Naim amplification into Kudos 808’s.

I haven’t heard the Karousel or the Radikal 2 but have no doubt they would each be an improvement. I don’t need to read opinions on forums to determine that these new parts will represent an improvement. It wouldn’t be possible for a manufacturer such as Linn to bring out a part which was a backwards step. Something about you can fool some of the people some of the time…

It does become a question as to whether you want or can afford to spend the money.

I would love to hear what a Radikal 2 would do on my deck which is fitted with a Urika 2 in to my soon to be bought Klimax System Hub in to a 10 channel Akurate Exactbox in to my modified Isobariks.

It is still my intention to sell my turntable though as I can’t keep playing this game.

Regards

Richard

clare.newsomeNaim Staff

(Radikal 2 demo - #16 by clare.newsome)

Maybe you could ask on the Linn Forum….

Would this be the “WigWam” forum?

Yes I’ve heard and seen it. Not impressed doesn’t look that good in the flesh - I expected more and the LP12 walks all over it because you’re not limited to the phonostage. Sorry just being honest.

Should be interesting to compare both with same phono and cart.
I heard the Solstice package, was not impressed too. But I feel it can have a lot of potential, if associated with another cart and phono.

Yes FR I agree to some part with you. I’m comparing it to my LP12 which is pretty much as top spec. you can get, with a Lyra Etna SL and a Whest Titan phonostage, so Solstice can’t be compared on a fair playing field.

1 Like

I did the Akurate / Klimax comparison a couple of years ago. I’ll admit that part of my interest was that I found the Akurate Radikal I then had to be, relative to its cost, ungainly and cheap looking, while the Klimax Radikal, to my eyes (and especially in black) to be one of the most beautiful hi-fi components I’ve ever seen.

Anyway, I went into the dem with modest expectations – I only needed the Klimax to be a little better to be worth going for. As it turned out, I found the difference to be greater than that. With the Klimax, the LP12 sounded more articulate, and leaner and cleaner overall (though not bass-light). Reinstate the Akurate and the LP12 suddenly sounded fatter – pleasantly so, though, and not in any way broken. After a few back-and-forths, I decided that the Klimax was sufficiently better to be worth the extra.

4 Likes

Thanks Corry for the insight.

Pete

You’re welcome! I’ve heard good things about the improvements the Radikal 2 brings. I look forward to hearing your impressions.

I am visiting @Cymbiosis on Wednesday so hope to hear the Rad 2 then if possible

we did a comparastion in the summer on Akrute vs Kilmax - Kilmax Rad took it with ease just more music from one box, and the soundstadge was ashtonishing

from friends I know who have had the rad 2 fitted either spec it is a very good upgrade on the Lp12

my budget was spent this year on Kore to Keel (and the small matter of Kudos Titan T505) I will talk to PS but I have slightly bigger plans on the deck for early 2022, something to do with ladies shoes :wink: :wink: :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Bluenose no changes. The upgrade consists of a new tachometer, motor and mainboard for the Radikal :+1:t2:

1 Like

You won’t regret that upgrade - expensive but puts the LP12 on another level :+1:

2 Likes

:grin:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.