Show us your Sondek

I have one of the 40th anniversary LP12’s Blackstar

Wonderful product - the plinth is amazing, couple of little knotty bits in it from the barrel, very solid piece of wood, a very impressive sounding deck

And the 40 year old bottle of Highland Park whisky that came with was rather special I must say

5 Likes

Nice one. Yes I would’ve preferred my small bottle in the gift set to have been filled with that!
You must agree though, cueing up with the mild smell of whisky would’ve been cool :joy:

Yes indeed very cool. Wish I was there

I have obviously missed something here, but where have the last few days posts gone &, perhaps, why?

A different thread perhaps? Last post on this thread was Bevo’s above from 5 days ago. Nothing since then until yours today.

This possibly :thinking:

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/radikal-2-demo/19134/34

Or maybe this one…?

A couple of shots of my SimPlinth in high gloss Indian rosewood. I contemplated fluted but this one drew me in. No regrets.

28 Likes

Drop dead gorgeous…if I was to build another LP12 your plinth would be the one for me.
ATB,
Mark

1 Like

That’s clearly a Linn arm, but which model, and is it a special finish?

It looks great, in any event.

Its an Ekos SE (just magnify the photos) very nice arm indeed. I don’t know how to tell the difference between SE 1 and 2, but @Toon will confirm, I’m sure. It certainly is a beautiful plinth.

1 Like

Apologies @Richard.Dane,

You are correct. The thread I was hoping to pick up on was the Solstice one & I got confused because the last couple of posts I remembered mentioned the LP12. Embarrassingly, I even wrote one of them!

Sorry for wasting your time.

1 Like

A quick pic of my main Sondek.

Its fairly average in spec but does sound nice… Valhalla (upgraded by VP) SME iii and currently an old A&R cartridge whilst Im waiting for Jico stylus to arrive for my Shure. Anyway, hope you like?

38 Likes

No pictures, but just back from an extended demo at my dealer with a Magik, Akurate, Klimax (Radikal1 and Kandid), Klimax (Radikal2 and Exstatic) and Solstice.

Pretty clear cut to my ears that the new Radikal2 and Exstatic are a significant improvement (at a significant cost!) and take the LP12 to new heights.

The way in which the (new) top end Linn reveals detail is stunning. Sadly the Solstice cannot compete - its very different to the LP12 generally and a fun listen, but I know I won’t be even slightly tempted to deviate from the Linn upgrade path.

A very fun few hours and can’t wait for a home demo very soon!

10 Likes

That’s a really really nice looking original Sondek :+1:
Love those flutes. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

The lift/lower device is black on the /2, and the head shell is slightly longer to accommodate larger cartridges.

13 Likes

In the interest of information there is only the Ekos SE and the Ekos SE/1
The first one has a short headshell and longer armtube and the second one has got a longer headshell with curved side a shorter armtube and no black paint on the platform and preloaded bias.
There is no SE/2 at all.
The SE/1 now comes with a silver cuing lever instead of the black one.
Phew!

3 Likes

Ah, thanks Skep!

You’re welcome @stuart.ashen
I was beginning to confuse myself. :sunglasses: :+1:t2: :joy:

1 Like

That sounds like quite a demo! Do let us know what your next move is.