Radio 2’s Ken Bruce moving on

I used to enjoy Tommy Vance Friday Rock Show and above all others, Alan Freeman’s Saturday afternoon programme, which was just perfect IMHO. Of course, those were on Radio 1 before it became a hip hop and rap station and Radio 2 stepped up to play everything else apart from classical.

4 Likes

I loved the Friday Night Rock Show with TV but one of biggest disappointments in my life (at that time) was first seeing him present TOTP. From his show I had imagined a really cool looking dude but in real life…he wasn’t

3 Likes

Vernon Kay to replace Ken on R2. I wonder what’s the equivalent of subtitles for radio? :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, best you can say is he’s inoffensive. Potentially his career revolves around his wife Tess Daly, who’s a proper decent media presenter imo.

Give him about 20 years and he may turn out OK.

3 Likes

Agree, he’s inoffensive, just glad its not turned out to be some so called celeb, wonder what will replace Popmaster.

Vernon’s Pools?

5 Likes

But what has happened? Ken is suddenly leaving before the end of his contract, so it must be down to something major I’d have thought?

BBC have decided to let him go earlier. It’s not unusual for a company to do that and make a clean break. It helps to stop the leaver becoming aware of future plans.

1 Like

Another reason to follow KB over to Greatest Hits Radio !

5 Likes

It’s all a bit lo-fi or not so easily available with reasonable quality in my area.
My only available FM is from Aylesbury (Quainton Hill Transmitter) at 1.42kW & 15 miles but is 110-degrees off beam on my G14, so it’s a bit hissy hopeless.
DAB in my house is kitchen only
iRadio is 48kb/s, a low bit rate

I’ve always supported the BBC. For decades. The past 10 years it’s become worse and the last 2-3 years rapidly so. There seems to be something really inherently wrong with the people who run the BBC.

9 Likes

Many a true word spoken in jest.

It’s been a shift from deep down emphasis on quality with some faults, to a firm like many others, glorifying superficial nothingness with a whole set of other faults.

3 Likes

A side effect of cost cutting etc?

1 Like

Not what I was thinking. It’s the choice of programs, the choice of people and the way they treat people. I suppose it’s nothing new. They treated John Noakes terribly and I still haven’t forgiven them for that.

4 Likes

They’re all overpaid babblers.
Like a well worn in Dutch clog. Although it’s your feet that have been broken in.

Still dodgy though and arguably a kiddy-fiddler…

I think the BBC management are doing a great job. Assuming that their goal is to have as few listeners as possible.

4 Likes

Moving on from this Friday now, rather than the end of the month. Beeb behaving badly…

3 Likes

If W1A was a new program now, I suspect a lot of viewers would assume it was a documentary.

4 Likes

Bruce is now gone. Dignified to the end. BBC, you have turned into an absolute disgrace. Whoever is in charge, you need to be sacked and I think this is a major turning point in the UK’s patience with being forced to pay for something that actually doesn’t represent what the public wants.

4 Likes