Radio Paradise FLAC........and ALAC

They have been very proactive in sorting out a FLAC stream that works, although it’s a shame vTuner can’t support it. Still, at least the new streamers can run it with AirPlay or Roon.

…and for the older streamers, Minim does the job very nicely. Here’s my updated ‘Radio Stations.m3u’ playlist:

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:-1,[RP;flac] Radio Paradise FLAC
http://stream.radioparadise.com/flac

#EXTINF:-1,[RPMellow;flac] Radio Paradise Mellow Mix FLAC
http://stream.radioparadise.com/mellow-flac

#EXTINF:-1,[JBRadio2;flac] JB Radio2
http://199.189.87.9:10999/flac

Put this .m3u file in your music library so that it is scanned by MinimServer, and then set up transcoding in MinimWatch (on the System tab, add ‘flac:wav’ in the stream.transcode field).

3 Likes

Adrian. Thanks for posting that as I’ve tried many permutations and still have no output from the 272. I’ve copied your entries above into my m3u file overwriting previous entries, rescanned with minimserver on the Rasberry Pi 3 and then tried playing each of the streams. Each one fails with the message Can’t Play > Skipped Track followed by Stopped > Press Play To Start on the 272 display.

Stream.transcode is set to flac:wav - using *.wav returns error ‘… requires a converter’ as some of the wildcard source formats require additional packages.

Clearly something is askew. Can anyone suggest what might be missing? The relevant log output shows a transcoding problem, but all searches point me to fixes that require the stream.transcode to be set to what it is.

23:14:49.317 Thread-1956: Streamer: processing HTTP request
23:14:49.318 Thread-1956: Streamer: streamID is RP
23:14:49.318 Thread-1956: Streamer: streamInfo-RP has value flac
23:14:49.318 Thread-1956: Streamer: URL scheme is http
23:14:49.318 Thread-1956: Streamer: request path is stream.radioparadise.com/flac/$!transcode.wav
23:14:49.318 Thread-1956: Streamer: transcodeType is wav
23:14:49.319 Thread-1956: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found, Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 23:14:49 GMT, Connection: close, Content-Length: 36, Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
23:14:49.319 Thread-1956: Transcoding converter not configured
23:14:49.319 Thread-1956: HTTPConnection: completed request; socket=Socket[addr=/192.168.1.8,port=1968,localport=9790], keepAlive=false
23:14:49.319 Thread-1956: HTTPConnection: closing Socket[addr=/192.168.1.8,port=1968,localport=9790]

Hi Gents,

Regarding getting FLAC radio streams to play on Naim products, the limitation is not vtuner but rather our older range of products don’t support the unusual permutation of FLAC in an OGG container. They support Vorbis in an OGG container.

If you have a Muso Gen2, Atom, Star, Nova, ND5 XS2, NDX2 or ND555 then they can play these streams, if you add them as a station via the vtuner webpage. Set the format as OGG and bitrate as 1000.

We’ve held off from adding them to Naim’s Choice as it causes support headaches when the stream works on some products, but not others. The 320K AAC is the current safe option that works on all.

Best regards

Steve Harris

4 Likes

Hmm, the error in the log indicates that a stream converter is required. I thought that the FLAC transcoding was supported natively by the FLAC libraries but perhaps that is not the case.

Before installing a converter, try changing your transcode spec from flac:wav to flac:L16.L16 is 16 bit LPCM.

If you get the same error, installing a stream converter on a Pi is quite simple and should definitely fix it:

apt-get install libav-tools

This will install the avconv program and put it on your path. MinimServer will look for this automatically and will use it for transcoding. You can check this by looking at the stream.converter field on the System properties tab in MinimWatch.

@Stevesky, thanks for the info about FLAC in an OGG container. I curl’ed the stream URL and saw this was the case when I was setting this up and wondered if that might be causing problems.

Thanks Steve, I had assumed that this wasn’t an option as you can’t select FLAC from the options available on vTuner, and Bill from RP said recently that vTuner wouldn’t support their lossless streams. I’ll try again though, and if it works on my Atom, I might even be able to use multiroom to get it onto the NDX through the back door.

Hi Guys,

No probs.

I just popped Radio Paradise Mellow Mix on the Naim’s Choice section in 320K AAC format. Earlier this month Scala FM was also added, as a little spring clean of this section of VTuner.

Regards

Steve

2 Likes

Adrain - thanks hugely. Installing that package has resolved it, the three streams you put up now work correctly at my end. Much appreciated.

It would be good if this was covered in the MinimServer etc guides. There seems to be an assumption that everybody knows this stuff inside out; as I said in another thread half tongue in cheek I’m happy to blunder around on a computer till it works, but the lack of info can be v frustrating. Sorted now tho. :slight_smile: but for good measure, the first install attempt on this only half worked; it reported a stream of errors (could not get…, not found etc). Tried exactly the same thing again 2 minutes later and it all went flawlessly.

http://icy-8.radioparadise.com/flac added as Steve suggested at vtuner works and is showing 44.1KHz/933b/s on a NDX2. Just add it to you presets. It sounds rather good.

1 Like

Thanks for the FLAC link for RP. I just added to my Nova. Works great. Shows 44.1kHz 938kb/s as well.

Marty

Glad it’s working for you, HouseholdNaim. There is good documentation on the MinimServer web site. Check out the doc on MinimStreamer here:

https://minimstreamer.com/userguide.html

How to you add the link with a Nova?

Go to the ‘myradio.naimaudio.com’ website.
Get the MAC address for your Nova (can be found in ‘Settings’ ‘Network’ menu from the front panel of the Nova).

Just follow the menu prompts to register your account.
For the Radio Paradise url, use the one provided above.

Your new radio preset will be available in the ‘Added Stations’ folder under the Internet Radio source tab in the Naim App.

2 Likes

Tried that. Entered the MAC address only to find that there appears to be an existing account with a German email address registered to it which is a) Odd and b) means I can’t go any further.

Queries raised with naim and vTuner and will wait and see.

I get a 404. Hmmmm.

Try http://myradio.naimaudio.com/setupapp/naim/asp/AuthLogin/SignIn.asp

Thanks David that worked but I think my vTuner account is linked to my old UnitiQute2 (long gone). I cannot see on either the Naim or vTuner site how to open a new account (I will have a different email account associated with it). Help appreciated.

Neil

I may be misunderstanding, but there is no Flac option when adding a stream. I’ve tried using the options available but they don’t have any content when I attempt to play them via the naim app.

OGG and bitrate at 1000 from a previous post.

See Stevesky’s earlier post which explains that unusually, the FLAC stream is in an Ogg Vorbis wrapper, so you need to choose that option.