RCA to DIN Connection

Hi,
I can understand the technical justification why Naim sources connected to Naim amplifiers use DIN to DIN conections because the design of both source and amp are optimised for maximum sound quality via DIN.

What i cant technically understand is why forum members recommend RCA to DIN connections in preference to RCA to RCA where a source has been optimised for RCA output and the Naim amp RCA input would have been optimised for the option of RCA input.

Can anybody offer the technical justification for using RCA to DIN in preference to RCA to RCA as i am struggling to understand that going from RCA to DIN is better sound quality wise than RCA to RCA.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

This was, if I recall, explained very recently by our esteemed moderator @Richard.Dane - I believe it’s to do with the better earthing arrangement in the Din plug. Basically, where Din can be used, it’s best to use it. A technical explanation is one thing however, listening for yourself another, and probably better.

1 Like

This might help;

All else being equal, even having just one DIN gives some advantage.

1 Like

Thanks for your response.
I have a Chord Signature RCA to RCA on order and can change this to RCA to DIN if i can be convinced it will sound better, but just dont want to change without being really sure its better. Its an expensive experiment if its not the best option sound quality wise.
I can see that earthing may be optimised going din to din i just cant see it crossing over from rca to din.

You can take the advice from Naim, who know quite a bit about how to get the best from their equipment, or you can ignore it because you are not convinced. Nobody is going to try to convince you. It’s simply a matter of choice.

3 Likes

I had the din connector that came with cd5si and I tried a direct comparison to the linn silver RCA I have on everything and the RCA blew it out the water I immediately called a very good friend to try and he couldn’t believe the difference and said how many people are missing out?
In my opinion Din is a multi connector compromise others may not agree and don’t have to. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Im seeking advice to make an informed decision, so i am seeking to be convienced one way or the
Other and i appreciate your input to the discussion.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience with directly comparing din and rca connections.
Thats one positive vote for rca.

Thank you for sharing this FAQ its an interesting read and supports the benefits of din to din connection between naim equipment.
Interesting to note that Naim is one of very few manufacturers that still prefer din wifh most ofhers going the rca and balanced xlr route.

I’d be interested to know if Naim have considered balanced connectors and if so why they decided against them. I note the option for balanced headphone output exists on the Atom HE.

Naim do use balanced connections in the Statement amplifier.

I would guess that previous to this they saw little point as most Naim gear outside of the NAB300 and NAP250 Pro (where balanced connection is a necessity for studio use) was single ended.

2 Likes

Were the actual cables the exact same? That’s the only valid way to compare the connectors used.

1 Like

I had the chance to have my Ansuz A2 fitted with DIN to RCA. I did not because in case of reselling chances are bigger to sell RCA to RCA than DIN to RCA.

@Richard.Dane
The lavender din was plugged in as was the Linn silvers at the same time and the comparison was done via remote control to select the CDP output.
The difference was huge.
Fact being that both cables are only available properly terminated from the manufacturer as source I don’t see the point of diy ing the connectors with all the inconsistency that brings.
I did however do the comparison with el cheapo RCA to RCA and the performance was still better.
It’s not complicated to try if you agree fine if you don’t then that’s your opinion.
It’s not subtle and costs next to nothing from a bits drawer.
I’m quite sure you know that the Linn silver doesn’t fit a Din plug and I’ve no intention of fudging it like some manufacturers with heatshrink to hide the fudge. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

So you compared not only two different types of connectors but also two completely different cables?

1 Like

Yes and got completely different results for the better. :+1:t2:

Mm well that is not really helping this person out since it is a question related to RCA vs DIN using the same cable. Of course you will get different results choosing between all different cables on the market. But that is not the question here.

2 Likes

The question was between Din to Din or RCA to RCA or why some mix RCA to Din
Simple question.

”I have a Chord Signature RCA to RCA on order and can change this to RCA to DIN if i can be convinced it will sound better, but just dont want to change without being really sure its better. Its an expensive experiment if its not the best option sound quality wise.
I can see that earthing may be optimised going din to din i just cant see it crossing over from rca to din.”

I’ve tested two different interconnects, both available as either DIN or RCA. In both cases the DIN was preferable to the RCA phono version.

Also, just for reference, for a properly valid comparison always only have one interconnect physically connected to a Naim source at any one time as otherwise performance is impaired (be sure to switch from one output to the other - never have both enabled at the same time) particularly, I have found, for the DIN connection, for some reason.

4 Likes