Real use case on speaker cable damaging naim amp?

Absolutely an elegant design decision, and not unique to Naim, numbers of other well regarded audiophile rated amps of the 80’s & 90’s used speaker cable inductance loading.
Amps that use an internal inductor have no control over the actual inductance load when ‘any random speaker cable’ is added in series, if too high, depending on speaker, it gives HF roll off (dull output)
The Naim (& others) speaker cable loading method completely avoids this.

However looking at independent test data I believe modern Naim amps have bandwidth limitation applied above 20kHz which makes the need for such strict cable spec requirements unnecessary
So yes Naim need to own up to this, but as it will do nothing for growing speaker cable sales, don’t hold her breath.

1 Like

AFAIK all Naim Amps have been bandwidth limited to some extent. I think the top end rolls off fairly steeply from around 40kHz (I’m sure @NeilS can enlighten here)

It might be more helpful if Naim would specify the requirements of the amps rather than providing the specifications of a couple of (their) cables that work. That would give people much clearer information to do their own homework rather than feeling the need to ask Naim.

2 Likes

Not sure why people keep talking about the amp design per se? As if accepting and liking it (and ultimately how it sounds - which we do!) also means accepting a poor job in explaining what it means for the user? So liking a brilliant design really isn’t the point. At all.

It’s what Naim provides as information and guidance to the user and the dealers as result of their specific design, and associated risks. I also notice people talk about THE Naim amp as if all Naim amps are the same … which they are not, and this seems to be acknowledged also in my SN3 manual - but it all bizarrely ends there, all for us to miraculously untangle and discover! I also know from my own humble experience that my Naim amps are not the same in this respect, for sure - yet they have pretty much the same guidance in their manuals, more than 30 years apart? Here:

My Nait2 manual:

My SN3 manual:

I wonder how difficult it is to improve on the above?

Btw can anyone tell me which Naim amp(s) can be used with any high quality speaker cable and what is a “high quality speaker cable”?

Should a forum be the place to expect to find the most important (and lacking!) accurate and clear manufacturer guidance information? If so, should this then not be mentioned in the manual? (unless I’ve missed it)

3 Likes

I agree that “some” and “any” desperately need clarification. They can’t test every third-party cable but publishing the requirements and tolerances for each type of amplifier would help here.

1 Like

I agree.

IMO, what Naim should say is that they recommend using their own cables, with a minimum length of 3,5 metres - or cables which provide at least X pF and Y μH.

Based on the spec for A5, from @GadgetMan above, then using 3,5 metres of A5 these figures are:

Capacitance - 56 pF minimum
Inductance - 3.5 μH minimum

2 Likes

It isn’t really in Naim’s interests to say who’s cables are compatible and I’m not aware of any other manufacturer who does this either, although most do tend to incorporate the inductor in the output stage minimising the risk of the average loudspeaker plus cable causing the amplifier to oscillate.

I remember one lecture where they said, (partly in jest), “set out to design an amplifier and you’ll probably end up with an oscillator, design an oscillator and it probably won’t!” That has stuck with me after all these years :0)

1 Like

I’ve managed to find this Richard:

This relates to the CB & olive amps.

Regards
Neil.

4 Likes

When I purchased my Supernait 3 I was in doubt of using my existent Audioquest Robin Hood speaker cables with the Supernait, as no one had a clear reply contacted audioquest in the US to know if it would impact or damage in any way the Supernait 3.

Their reply was that the Audioquest Robin Hood are safe and compatible with the Supernait 3 and that I can use them without worrying and that they will sound great.

And yes, they sound great and the amp runs cool. Compared to the NacA5 that I find it to be great for the price, but still preferred the Audioquest presentation and refinement.

1 Like

Naim have no duty of care, as a matter of law, to an end user who uses non-Naim cables with Naim amps.

One step further in evaluating naca5. Clean cut on 6.8m wires and fresh solder on never used naim plugs. Drilled 4mm holes into a pcs of wood (the plastic cap was not on during soldering). Flux made it super easy for the solder to flush out. Took few seconds with a 100W solder iron. Most of the struggle went into getting the black back caps on again… I guess what one should do is to come in at an angle bending the copper wires to say 10 and 2 a clock.

3 Likes

Yep. As you say it makes it easier to get the cap back on.

Nice work though on the soldering :+1:

1 Like

Cable manufacturers should be accountable for their own cables. They should be stating whether they are compatible with Naim amps and offer a guarantee. It’s the cable manufacturers that are taking your money not Naim so why should Naim help them out?

Peel them off some more .
It’s important that the soldering isn’t to high,if so it will touch the contact housing.

Your soldering looks pretty good, but there is very little room onside that black plactic box. I find it best to strip only about 10mm of the wire, and to not cut the web between them, so that after soldering you can bend the exposed copper out to fit in the holes. Then the remaining insulated cable still fits through the entry hole.

Also, you should ideally have the wires right down inside the slot. If they protrude above it, or if there’s a blob of solder on top, this can make it impossible to screw the box together.

This may all seem a bit OTT, but the black box should really be free of the cable, not clamping it at all.

2 Likes

Ah so when they twist to fit inside the back cap they turn and get closer to the sides yes. But I managed to close them and look correct so I guess this work is done anyway but thanks for the tip :+1:

As Chris SU described much better,the cable should not be clamped or touch…

Fat chance of that, what would be easier and more practical is for all the cable vendors to publish the cable specs… The all important inductance, (important for Naim that is) capacitance, resistance, size (mm/2 and AWG) dielectric & copper with any plating spec

Fat chance of that :joy:

Ok naca5 lovers out there :slight_smile: They are in. Let’s see how it goes. Will give em a week or two then comparing with my Oephi Ascendance. Different price range of course but let’s see what synergy adds not thinking about cost.

First thing that comes to mind with naca5 in my 552, NDX2, 300DR system is - Flow :+1:

4 Likes