Real use case on speaker cable damaging naim amp?

It needed to be with a different coating.

Blockquote Only the smaller boxes (Atom, Unitiqute, V1) use the small Naim plugs as the closer spacing is needed to fit all the connections on the small rear panel. All other Unitis accept regular sized Naim plugs.

Correct, but it’s worth noting that the pins themselves are the same, only the plastic housings for the plugs changed.

KR

Peter

3 Likes

I’m getting Deltrons. Nickel for the amp and don’t know for the speakers. Can’t figure out which metal the terminals on Spendor D9 is. They look greyish.

1 Like

I bought most of my Naim equipment, over 30 years ago, from Grahams HiFi in Islington. They refused to have anything to do with the Naim speaker plugs at the time, preferring ordinary, well-made banana plugs. I’ve never felt any need to change.

I contacted Spendor support about my D7.2’s, and was told:

The more important aspect of this connection is the contact patch created between the 4mm plug inside the terminal panel. The D-Line binding posts are Rhodium plated. As long as the 4mm plugs are of good quality and create a good contact patch inside, you can use any brand. Take out the materials (Gold or silver as an example) from this connection and focus on a good mechanical interface.

1 Like

Thank you! If it wasn’t such a pain to solder or should I say weld the Naca 5 one could buy Deltron nickel, gold and silver plated and compare. If one was such a person that is😊

1 Like

I’m such a guy. Unfortunately. Curiosity is pain. Will change to deltron gold shortly. But that means gold to gold plating but different mechanical connection.

1 Like

Oh so they went with rhodium. The more controversial metal plating of them all (I do use it in some positions but there are many opinions on rhodium)

I’m such a person half way. I want to hear the difference but suck at soldering so wouldn’t.

Recommend you get flux (fluss) if you solder now and then. It helps out a lot getting a shiny good float of the led and lowers the melting temp.

1 Like

Indeed - except that they are not ‘right angled’ plugs - although I guess that might sometimes be a good thing for anyone wanting to keep the cables clear of the rack.

I wonder which bananas are used on Super Lumina?

Only the plastic body makes them right angled and the way that you sold of the cable into plug. Soldering wires into the pins straight on. It’s certainly not as easy as soldering in the conventional way, but I do it quite regularly! :roll_eyes:

KR, Peter

2 Likes

Quite right, and with a bit of care you can of course use either version without the plastic box.

1 Like

Red & black heat-shrink :+1:t2:

Old bananas only mounted with a screw are out. The screw was almost loose on one end.

In with Deltron golds, both soldered and screwed. Time to burn it in with some music.

4 Likes

Did you notice any differences in sq?

Oh tough one. Would I make a bet it does? No :slight_smile: But it feels better because I have verified and made them technically better than before therefore I know I get as much as I can out of the naca5 at least with what I have to work with for now. The Deltrons also fit much better in my speakers than the ones that I changed from. So the feeling is that it sounds better but you know, a super challenging thing to AB test :smile:

And I really enjoy how they perform in my system :+1: To me they sound more balanced than how I remember Phantom and how TQ Ultra Black II sounded at my place. The two later ones added to much warmth which to me means less presence and timing, speed, boogie, pace, rhytm, flow.

You are still using naca5, right? Evaluated anything else?

2 Likes

@Blackbird, you haven’t yet answered this:

Cause last time I owned them I didn’t think they were more than average. Those were 2.9m and I have no idea how the connection to the bananas were made. They also didn’t have the naim plugs on the amp end. And that was with a SN1 and there from I went with chord, then TQ Black II then Phantom and now Oephi Ascendance. Also evaluated TQ Ultra black II. The system has during this period moved from SN1 to SN2, SN3, 272-250DR, 272-250DR XPS 555PSDR, 300, 552 NDX2…… I’ve gone throne everything naim soon :see_no_evil: I haven’t compared them back to back with Oephi yet I must add. Will make a switch next week.

And I also thought naca5 was more of a low/medium level system match but since one of those with 500 systems that bought my stuff and the guy that I bought my 552 from used naca5 I wanted to give it a try again many years later if following all guide lines I’m aware of (more length, proper soldered connection etc). And to my ears and in my system I really like it. It’s not the last thing in detail maybe and in what some may refer to as “HIFI” but I immensely enjoy listen to music now and it just feels right. And I’m one of those that first and foremost want to enjoy music more than listen to a bass note at 143Hz.

2 Likes

Over what period of time was this…? Seems like a huge level of changes…?