Recommend me some Jazz versions of Beatles songs

I’m listening to a Beatles covers album by classical guitarist Miloš Karadaglić and whilst some of them are interesting I just know the originals far too well and am yearning for some improvisation.

Any recommendations?

.sjb

2 Likes

A big band version of Can’t Buy Me Love by Ella Fitzgerald

And I Love Her by Diana Krall

And I Love Her by Brad Mehldau Trio on the album Blues and Ballads

2 Likes

Bill Frisell All We Are Saying… is an album by American guitarist and composer Bill Frisell that was released in September 2011. It consists of songs written by John Lennon, both as a member of the Beatles and as a solo artist, arranged and performed in Frisell’s definitive style. The album also features violinist Jenny Scheinman, pedal steel and acoustic guitarist Greg Leisz, bassist Tony Scherr, and drummer Kenny Wollesen. The title comes from the first line of the chorus to Lennon’s 1969 single “Give Peace a Chance”.

4 Likes

Pianist Brad Mehldau has recorded quite a few Lennon McCartney songs on several albums e.g. Blues and Ballads, The Art of the Trio, Vol. 1.

Also Joshua Redman…

Dave

1 Like
2 Likes

“In My Life” is really special here. He plays that live a lot and it’s amazing.

2 Likes

Also, more CTI goodness:

2 Likes

Herbie Hancock “Norwegian Wood” off his The New Standard album.

4 Likes

This one is very recent.
A day in the life/ The Beatles/ Shabaka Hutching

2 Likes

Beat me to it! I love this track.

1 Like

Check out “All Your Life” by Al Di Meola.

5 Likes

Absolutely agree. Subtitled ‘A tribute to the Beatles’, recorded at Abbey Road, Di Meola referred to the Beatles music as being like Sacred Music to him growing up. And given that he is a great jazz guitarist it would seem to meet the bill.

I can second the Di Meola albums, I generally avoid any Beatle covers but quite enjoy his albums. He treats them with great respect and wonderful musicianship.

1 Like

Not sure if some will accept as jazz, alternative takes on performance by The Persuasions, Kings Singers and just one track, the Buddy Rich version of Norwegian Wood.

As posted by @frenchrooster (thanks)

1 Like

Joey Alexander - Blackbird, recorded a couple of years ago.

1 Like

You should open a Jazz Refreshed 2 thread. We could share new discoveries from Bandcamp. Some appear in this lp you mentioned too. Here the credits:

1. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (performed by Antonio Sanchez)
  2. With A Little Help From My Friends (performed by Mary Halvorson)
  3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (performed by Makaya McCraven)
  4. Getting Better (performed by Wildflower)
  5. Fixing A Hole (performed by Cameron Graves)
  6. She’s Leaving Home (performed by Keyon Harrold)
  7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! (performed by Brandee Younger)
  8. Within You Without You (performed by Onyx Collective)
  9. When I’m Sixty Four (performed by Sullivan Fortner)
  10. Lovely Rita (performed by Miles Mosley)
  11. Good Morning Good Morning (performed by Shabaka & The Ancestors)
  12. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (performed by Antonio Sanchez)
  13. A Day In The Life (performed by The JuJu Exchange)

Hi @frenchrooster I did start a Jazz Re:Freshed thread a while back but it wasnt well supported. With artists like Nubya Garcia currently riding high though and attracting interest in the mainstrean it might be a good time to start another thread.
Over to you
:+1:

1 Like

How about Django Bates: Saluting Sgt. Pepper?

Roger

2 Likes