Recommend speakers

Sure. I have ran AcousticResearch/Epos/Mission/Mordaunt-Short/Naim(passive & active)/Q Acoustics/Rega…

I demoed Kudos X2 alongside Neat Motive SX2 - I went with Neat out of the two.

3 Likes

I can pick up the motive sx 1 2nd hand the same price as new sx 2 . Or sx3 about the same . Any thoughts please . Room size 14 ft 7 " x 13 ft 3 " .

Also how do you , think pmc twenty 23 would compare to the neat ?

To be fair i have not heard the SX1s so i can’t comment on those. Some say they’re quite bass heavy but as i say, i don’t know about that… I have heard the 3s and they sounded (to me) wonderfully musical, i would have them in an instant… I’m told by many reliable sources (dealers & forum members) that the SX2s are the sweet spot of the Motive range. I would try and get a pair of seconds from a dealer, this is what i did. I managed to pick up a brand new pair of Motive SX2’s (seconds) for £1049 from a highly regarded dealer. For the life of me (2 years later) i have not noticed why they were seconds. I can’t notice the defect on any of the cabinets (then again i’m as blind as a bat athough my hearing is good). A fantastic saving!

2 Likes

I auditioned my Nova with Neat SX1s and PMC Twenty5.23s. I really liked the Neats, but found that for my taste the bass control and responsiveness of the PMCs won out. They do work well with the Nova in my system. I would have been very happy with the Neats. I didn’t hear the Twenty.23s, just the Twenty5s. (I also heard Kudos X2, they didn’t work for me, having seen other people’s comments I wonder if the pair I heard were brand new and needed running in.)

1 Like

I bought my X2s new when I had a Superuniti, and I remember being quite underwhelmed by them at first compared to my dealer’s demo pair, so you may be right. I’ve been impressed by how much more they have to give as I’ve upgraded, so I have yet to move on from them. Haven’t heard the Neats, though.

2 Likes

@Clive1 I have the Neat SX1’s and the PMC Twenty5 23’s, both running off Novas, I pretty much agree with @Eoink’s summary. To my ears the PMC’s are a step up but the relative retail price is about £1300 more than the Neat SX1 so perhaps to be expected.
The previous Neat Motives were felt to be bass heavy by some this is changed with the introduction of the SX1.
Given your budget and what you are driving them with I think the Neat SX2’s would be a good fit, the SX3’s are also worth a listen, but there are a lot of options out there, time to get out and listen, only your ears can decide

2 Likes

Think perhaps , I need to stick to standmounts , just seem to find them more enjoyable , faster , puncher.

Think that may help narrow down your selection process, lots of really nice standmounts on the market, eg. Neat, PMC, Proac, KEF, Spendor all should have speakers within your budget, some will have to be ex demo or second hand.
Also if your interested in the PMC’s the Twenty5 21’s replaced the Twenty21’s. The older model can be bought for under a £1000, might be worth checking out

1 Like

I’ll third the Harbeth P3ESR… Seems to fit what you have described. I’ve owned PMC LB1 Signature, Proac Tablette 50 Signature and Totem Model 1. The Proac and Totem are considerably brighter and leaner sounding than the Harbeth. The PMC, perhaps only this particular model is not good.

1 Like

Does anyone now how the pmc twenty five 21 would work ? Room 13ft 3 " x 14 ft 7" with naim uniti 2 .

Based on your description, definitely audition some Sonus Faber. I found the Sonetto V with a Uniti Star, and while I found them amazing (both sound and WAF) with some music, I had an issue with the top end. Since you seem to hate brightness so much, my issue might be your salvation.

ATC SCM11 V2:- I just captured a nearly new pair on the bay for £825 and I am very impressed. These speakers have achieved consistently good reviews. They do need strong amplification, here is the spec:-

• Drivers: HF 25mm Neodymium, Mid/LF 150mm
  • Matched Response: ± 0.5dB
  • Frequency Response (-6dB): 56Hz-22kHz
  • Dispersion: ± 80° Coherent Horizontal, ±10° Coherent Vertical
  • Sensitivity: 85dB @ 1W @ 1metre
  • Max SPL: 108dB
  • Recommended Power Amplifier: 75 to 300 Watts
  • Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohm
  • Crossover Frequency: 2.2kHz
  • Connectors : Binding Posts/4mm Plugs, bi-wire
  • Cabinet Dimensions (HxWxD): 381x232x236mm
  • Weight: 10.9kg
1 Like

Hi , I’ve had a couple of demos , and listened to a range of speakers and at the moment I’m leaning towards either b&w 706s2 or paradigm b15 or a pair of b&w pm1 , but I cant demo those and they are 2nd hand . Any thoughts welcomed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.