Recommendations for Uniti Atom components

It does not have a tape out or line out. It only has a post-volume control pre out. This was explained in the second reply to your initial post.

Sorry Halibut. Crystal mentioned plugging into a tape out which is why I asked the question.

That was in reference to “Naims integrated amps and separates” and, I believe, meant as ‘if you want this, you need an integrated or separates and not a Nova’

I also said for Naims integrated and seperates amps not the all in ones. Very different product line.

Let’s get this clear. You want great headphones. So you need a dedicated headphone amp. So you need a line out or tape out from the preamp. The Atom does not have one. It has a pre out. This is post volume control. If you mute the Atom to turn off the speakers the pre out mutes too. So it’s no good.

If you want a line out or tape out you really want a separate amplifier. A Nait XS3 or Supernait 3 has a suitable socket. So you can connect a headphone amp. You then need a streamer. A ND5XS2 is the ideal match for the Nait XS3. A NDX2 is the ideal match for the Supernait 3.

The combination of streamer and amplifier will do the same things as your Atom. But they are better all round. Both will enable you to connect wherever headphone amp you want. You can mute the speakers but still listen to the headphones.

I hope that helps.

2 Likes

Now that, Hungry Halibut is the clear and concise explanation i’ve been looking for. Thank you!

Great. If you need to know more just ask.

well… since you offered… Would I need a preamp for my phono if i get the XS3?

So now im reading that these Naim products are good but that they are overpriced and that I should be looking at Schitt or others… What a rabbit hole i’ve started down! I’m just looking for great, clear sound on some great high end bookshelf speakers, high quality headphones and the ability to easily stream the highest quality FLAC or other files + my vinyl. I want to finally ‘hear’ my music- to hear all of the notes and nuances.

Not if it’s a MM cartridge.

They are not ‘overpriced’ but cost what they cost and sound as they sound. Of course there are alternatives that may or may not sound better.

As an owner of both brands, I can tell you that Naim and Schiit are in a very different league. Schiit is affordable and practical but Naim is better quality, product and engineering in every aspect. The Atom being an all-in-one budget solution focuses on sound quality through the speakers rather than the headphone out.

If you’re looking for:

“… great, clear sound on some great high end bookshelf speakers, high quality headphones and the ability to easily stream the highest quality FLAC or other files + my vinyl. I want to finally ‘hear’ my music- to hear all of the notes and nuances.”

Then Schiit is far out from giving you that, and I’m afraid that the Atom is not that device either. You’d be looking at all-separate stages and spending much more than the cost of an Atom.

1 Like

If your are still looking for a Naim dealer in Southern Cal- Venice Audio (Venice CA). Peter Selznick the owner is great.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.