Record Clamp, Yes/No?

To be fair, I think the OPs original thread question must have been aimed at owners of TTs that do not require, by design or manufacture, a clamp.
I think the OP is seeking opinions if a clamp as a optional accessory for their turntable is beneficial, in which case an answer could be YES or NO,along with supporting reasons.
Those with tables that require them will ofcourse say yes.

Well, not really Neil, it was more of an open question with room for individual interpretationā€¦

1 Like

How are you ? Are you closer to playing your LP12

best wishes

Ian

To be clear, my TT is designed to use clamps and rings, but they are optional. In my case itā€™s an improvement, but my original answer did qualify that it depends on the TT, and there is no right or wrong answer that can be generalized in any way (other than for TTs that require it)

3 Likes

Clearaudio concept with a clamp on mine

4 Likes

The Concept was the first Cleaudio I auditioned. At the time I had a Rega RP3 with GrooveTracer upgrades and the Rega PSU. After one weekend I decided to change. Then I ordered the Performance DC which wasnā€™t yet in production. That got delayed several times, and my dealer ended up selling me his demo Ovation. That was in 2012, and I still have that Ovation (although I did upgrade the tonearm). This is now the oldest component in my system and I have no desire to change it.

1 Like

I didnā€™t know that. I hope it is an even better combination with the Hana ML then. Feels right though! :blush::+1:

1 Like

Understood.

1 Like

Mine has a clamp on the record and a mana sound clamp on the turntable :

2 Likes

Hello, Ian. Ive been home for a few days now, but have not yet been upstairs to the top of the house to listen to music.

Iā€™ve reserved that treat for tomorrow. I was hoping to be joined, but may have to do it as a solo flight.

Big question - not yet resolved - is which LP to play first on the LP12/ARO with brand new (unplayed) Te Kaitora Rua slung on. Perhaps the new blue vinyl copy of Jeff Buckleyā€™s timeless ā€˜Graceā€™, or maybe some Beethoven on one of the unplayed new Carlos Kleiber LPs.

Thanks for asking, Ian. Much appreciated!

6 Likes

Hi Graham , I am so relieved for you :+1: :+1: :+1:

Which LP to play first? Simple answer , which is your most played LP - because that will help you feel that little more at home.

I would imagine that you have lost a degree of strength during your ā€œincarcerationā€ , perhaps a smaller system downstairs ?

Warning I have an advanced PHD in spending other peopleā€™s money

Very pleased to hear this Graham.
I do hope you still find time to continue your fascinating contributions to the classical music thread. As a novice in the genre I have found your insights and recommendations so helpful and inspiring.

1 Like

Ian and Kipstryker, thank you both so much for your kind comments.

Iā€™ll try to keep up useful comments on music - classical or otherwise. But I canā€™t guarantee against the odd whimsical sidetrack!

1 Like

The world is a better place with a drop of whimsy.

I have a VPI which comes with a weight but I donā€™t use it. I feel I makes the sound ā€ždeadā€œ.

My record player came with one but I think it sounds better without it, so no.

If it doesnā€™t dilute it too much, I third the relief/best wishes that youā€™re back home. I hope youā€™re there for good now?

Iā€™m also looking forward to a system pics post showing us your Quads and new DV cartridge!

Thatā€™s very, very kind of you - Iā€™m so touched.

I will do my very best to post some photos of the stacked QUADs, the new Te Kaitora Rua on the LP12/ARO and the new Wenge plinth for the LP12.

I have to confess to being a complete klutz at posting photos onto this site, so will need some guidance from some kind soul.

Iā€™m hoping to have a friend to join me at home for lunch or other tomorrow, so that may be the excuse needed to listen to the system for the first time in over a year. Too long away!

5 Likes

Nice one Graham.

Fantastic - Glad to hear you are out and home Graham (and can play all those records youā€™ve been buying whilst in captivity). Look forward to seeing some pics of your system.

Enjoy your freedom !

1 Like