Record Clamp, Yes/No?

Thank you, James and Neil.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

2 Likes

Yes - it’s an integral part of my turntable. SME.

1 Like

KleosSL by sc-sld, on Flickr

My Verdier La Platine Granito came with this beauty, the Lys Gyroscope. It works well at 33 1/3 and 45 and is battery powered but rarely sees any action except to adjust the speed on occasion. The record sounds the same either way, with or without it, in my opinion. It does start a conversation better than anything else in my system. I think the Herbie’s turntable mat, also pictured, makes more difference in the sound.

More recent pic below from another unit I saw online tonight. They are out there if you know where to look.

3 Likes

Is it screwed in or is it loose?:thinking:

@Bjorn

Mine is not screwed. It just drops onto the spindle in a comfortable fit. If you see one you like, you might ask that question; there may be some that out there that screw down.

The only thing to be careful of is the set screw that leads to the oil “well” adjacent to the spindle, which keeps the bearing lubricated. The set screw has to be flush with the platter or the record will not lie flat. The Lys will then wobble as it goes around. Sub-optimal for sure.

I agree with everyone who replied that it depends on whether the turntable was designed to be used with a record clamp or weight. That said, if the question were a tiebreaker between two decks of similar performance, my answer would be, “No”.

I know we LP12 owners can be a bit opinionated sometimes, but that’s no reason for your dealer to ostracize us.

OK, I’ll get my coat.

The record clamp advice comes from Infidelity and based on the premise of “tried it and it did’nt work” or had no benefit. The achillies heel of the LP12 used to be the three point springing which at one time could loose its well known essential vertical bounce almost as soon as it was set up. Those days now long gone thank goodness.
The springs probably don’t like any relativly heavy weight on the platter.
A lot pf this from the late Derek Jenkins who know LP12s back to front.

I hope lunch and the audio lived up to expectations

best wishes

Ian

Hello, Ian. Lunch was great, but still haven’t listened to music yet… Have a lawyer coming this morning who ‘sprang’ me from that vile institution where I was incarcerated, so that could be the excuse.

1 Like

Honestly, you could (should) write a book. Sounds like a hellish ordeal from all you’ve mentioned. Like Kafka meets One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

I could write a book, but I won’t, as I would have to go through in my mind (or what’s left of it) that hell on earth all over again.

Anyway, that’s all over now, baby blue.

I shall be listening to my music system shortly (unplayed ‘deep blue vinyl’ copy of Jeff Buckley’s ‘Grace’) for the first time in over a year, so all’s well in the world at the moment.

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve been through something strange Graham, something to share with the rest of us in the thread who aren’t up to date?:thinking:

Really? Think not.

The Avid Acutus SP has a screw-on clamp that is an integral part of the table while for the Techdas AF3P, it’s an option. I prefer the AF3P without weight be it Tungsten, Tungsten Carbide, Ebony wood etc.

On my Michell Orbe yes, the clamp is screwed down onto the record.
It just depends on the record whether the collar underneath is used with the convex or concave profile.

Is your name Graham?:thinking:

So, Graham writes this… and you want a thread on it?

Who has talked about a thread? If you publish a post about being in captivity, you might want to shed an explanatory light on it without going into any details, to avoid unnecessary misunderstandings, that’s all.

Er…

Anyway, as you say…up to Graham.
Back to clamps.

This was my point, nothing else… Of course it’s entirely up to Graham, back to clamps.