Record cleaning machines

Finally looking to invest in one so just wondering what which ones folk are using, any issues, ease of use etc?

Cheers, Rack. :+1:t5:

I use the Moth RCM. You can buy it ready built or in kit form to save some readies if you choose. I bought mine built.
It’s not the nicest looking thing but it’s served me well. Must have had it 15 years now. The replacement felt pads are reasonably priced too. Most importantly you can hear the difference after cleaning.
Regards,
Steve O.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Moth that I bought second hand. Does a good job and quite easy to use.

Previously I used one of the manual ‘Disco Antistat’ cleaners. I thought that did an acceptable job but a fair bit more effort and time.

1 Like

I had a Nitty Gritty for about 20 years. It served me well and cleaned many LPs. And then I bought a Pro-ject VC-S and in many ways it was even better. It has so far cleaned about 500 LPs and so I recently replaced the velvet lips on the vacuum head. It does a great job and considering it’s so affordable, I can highly recommend it.

2 Likes

I use a Loricraft PRC_4, but I am now smitten by the Cavitation cleaners; in particular, the Klaudio machine:

1 Like

One of the best is the Audio desk systeme this is one of the ultra sonic / cavitation cleaners

I think the Project VCS (I have the mk 2) hits the sweet spot for price and performance. Sure, the ultrasonic cleaners might do a better job but they cost way more. Anything cheaper than the Project probably isn’t doing a good job. I’m very pleased with my VCS mk 2

5 Likes

I also use a Moth, built it myself.

Does a great job, the only downside is the noise it makes.
Luckily I have a pair of military grade (Royal Artillery) ear protectors. :hear_no_evil:

4 Likes

+1 for the Project VCS-2. The vacuum is rather noisy though.

3 Likes

Another vote for the Project VCS, although the better half will not allow it to remain in the living room. Admittedly not the best looking bit of kit. But it does work and doesn’t cost a fortune.

1 Like

I have a Loricraft. Find the thread a bit of a faff!

Peter

And another vote for the Project VCS MkII, great value and a good upgrade for the vinyl enthusiast.

1 Like

I also use the Project VCS. Mine is a Mk 1.5. Quite noisy though!! Works really well especially with the Tonar Wetgoat brushes I upgraded to from the supplied brush. I’ve only ever used the Project fluid as it works really well. Use distilled water for a rinse cycle afterwards!

1 Like

Same with the Keith Monks Discovery machines. Mine was great for a year or two, but over time the vacuum tube became clogged up (not helped by the thread running through the very narrow tubing) to the extent that I can’t use it anymore. I bought a Project VCS-2 a year or two ago and the Keith Monks has been sitting in a cupboard unused ever since then.

The Project platter supports the label only. This means that the cleaned side doesn’t get contaminated when you do the other side. Since minimal pressure is needed when brushing, this is not an issue.

A dust cover is extra. I got one since dust is the enemy.

I use a separate brush when rinsing to minimise contamination. For this I use an Okki Nokki brush, just so I can tell them apart.

Some distilled water is better than others, depending on how it is purified. I use APC Pure.

I can do about 15 or so records per hour. Worth thinking about as it can be quite a chore.

Thanks for the replies folks.

A local dealer has offered me a Watson RCM. It’s not one I’ve heard of but I guess it’ll do a decent job?

It looked solid enough when I saw it back before the lockdown and pretty compact too.

Don’t know if anyone here has any knowledge of them though?

Cheers, Rack.

That certainly looks pretty solid, but never heard of it before. My initial thought though is that i don’t really like cleaners that use a full sized platter. It’s not necessary and it’s just another way to contaminate a side you’ve just cleaned with crud left on the platter by the dirty side.

Hi Richard was thinking the same thing after reading @Ravvie’s comment about the Project and it’s a great point you’ve both made.

Cheers, Rack.

Get yourself a spare record mat and the problem is solved.

2 Likes

One potential problem with the Moth clamping system, is, it could result in damaging the surface of the label. Not a problem with most records, but the matt surface texture of an SXL is very suseptable to damage. The rotating action of the locking nut turns the matt surface into a shiny surface.

(Don’t worry no record label was harmed during the production of the photos below)

Solution.

Place a disc between the label and locking nut. I use the centre of an unwanted record.

1 Like