Rega P8 to P10 - what to expect?

I swapped from 8 to 10, keeping the cartridge - a Rega Exact - and everything else the same. It was a - to me - very significant improvement. Everything was much more natural and engaging, simply more musical. In addition to the sonics, the 10 has a beautiful arm and the ceramic platter and brace are just lovely. It also has a big solid power supply, unlike the little Neo that comes with the 8, which is much nicer to use. I later swapped the Exact for an Apheta 3 and Ania, which was a very large improvement. So I’d say that if you can afford it, get it. It’s a wonderful turntable.

7 Likes

A lot would argue the cartridge is the least important but I agree the difference will be noticeable but not huge. Personally I would not upgrade p8 to p10

The P10 is the only Rega turntable that is a fundamentally different, the bearing, sub-platter and platter are heavily upgraded and not compatible with any other Rega deck.

Thank you HH, hearing a first hand experience is very helpful. The beautiful - and no doubt better - tonearm is certainly also part of the attraction, as is the ceramic platter.

I actually went from a P8 to a P10, eventually running through the rega aura phono stage.
The P10, apheta3, aura, is a great set up to have, and it takes quite a bit more investment to really up the game from here.
But a better cartridge is one way, and cartridge’s certainly make a big difference, and that’s what i did by going to the dynavector drt xv-1t, only problem was this also called for a better matched phono stage to really show what it could do, plus the P10 could really take it, due to the tonearm restrictions.
But what i am trying to get at is, you really need to look forward to where you think you will end up at.
If you like rega cartridge’s then the P10 will be absolutely fine, but if you feel you might want to stray away from them, then the P10 will soon show you it’s limits, as the tonearm doesn’t have the adjustments you really need, and nothing you can do about that.
So maybe a different turntable is really the way forward, one with all the tonearm adjustments you need going forward? Rather than the more plug and play rega.

Obviously there’s differences between the P8 and P10 in the design, but the P8 with apheta3 is the sweat spot, and best for value. But only you can decide.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input.

This one spins records everyday in my household.

5 Likes

Thanks for the input. FYI I also have an LP12 Akurate but have currently decided against a wall shelf, mainly for aesthetical and practical reasons - and the LP12 is hysterically sensitive to floor vibrations whereas the Rega is surprisingly immune in this regard. I find the Apheta 3 to be a very good cartridge (unlike the 2 version), so non-Rega cartridges aren’t really a consideration in connection with a possible P10.

1 Like

My pleasure…but it must be really difficult for you to mske sense of all these different opinions.
Best thing is to have a long enough demo in your own home. This is what I did…I did not need to make a formal comparrison though, as the difference was so obvious and the P10 sounded just so good.

Same story…I changed from an LP12 to a P9 because the LP12 was so sensitive.

Was on a demo of the P8 and P10 at my dealer a few months ago. Both players had the same pickups, both were played with the same equipment with the same music, ie an A/B test. No doubt the P10 sounds better, from good to magically good.

5 Likes

If you´ve got the money (and the time) you could wait for the Naia. :slight_smile:

The apheta3 is a great cartridge, and once again the sweet spot in the range.
You could always wait as the new rega above the 10 is not far away now, and i guess many P10’s will be traded in for this, and so the P10 price will certainly take a dive

I have to admit that having taken my LP12 thru several minor and major evolutions, spending a lot of time/money doing so, and being impressed by my 2nd system P6, I have been curious about the P10 more than once.

Interesting thread.

I do love my LP12 so it’s doubtful I’ll change. Plus, I’m not sure I could ultimately embrace the whole skeletor look of the P10.

1 Like

Sorry to divert from the thread, but thought I’d mention…was listening to John Barleycorn on the LP12 and then moved it to the office P6 to do some work…who turned the technicolor off? No comparo! Just to be clear.

Had the same thoughts, the only difference was, that i had a RP8 with some modifications done to the arm by Origin Live. Talked to my „personal salesman“ and he suggested to wait and get a „used“ Vertere MG One MK II. His Vertere…

Listened to them both, the P10 wasn‘t „blown out of the water“ by the Vertere, but the differences were clearly audible, so i pulled the trigger.

I consider the P10 as a bargain under them „top turntables“ in the last 5 years.

If you got the funds, go for it.

Can you remember what was better with the Vertere MG1 vs the P10? Curious. 3 years ago I was doubting about buying one or the other. Finally bought the P10 and the PhoenixNet switch for the same money as MG1. The long list of possible upgrades ( cables, motor, ps) for the Vertere was determining for me . With the P10 there are no upgrades.
I bought the best possible cart to go with it and I am done.
But was really tempted by the Vertere, specially its much better looking vs the Rega.

What caught me in the end was the lower end, meatier, very precise. The presentation was a lot more involving versus the Rega, it got me more at the edge of the seat, if you know what i mean, little bit itchy.

They don‘t differ very much and it is, as always, a matter of taste.

1 Like

Lots of people would agree with you, but I have never really understood this - not that I would criticise either turntable choice.

I could ‘upgrade’ my house in Tasmania by building a large extension, but choose not to do so - it is not worth it to us. The fact that the option exists does not make the house I have any less pleasing.

In hifi, I upgraded my NDX2 by replacing the internal PS with an XPSDR. I could upgrade again with an even better PS but that possibility doesn’t make the NDX2 any less good as a streaming source, and it would seem strange to me to refuse to get an NDX2 if it sounded good merely because the PS options exist.

Am I missing something obvious?

2 Likes

In my case, and probably many others, having a turntable that you can’t upgrade is good for the peace of mind. It stops temptations and thoughts like “ maybe i should try the new motor, if only I could get the new improved ps…”.
If I haven’t the audiophilia disease, it should not be a problem.

2 Likes