Rel Bassline Blue Naim Bannana Plug Connection?

Glad to help.

I haven’t ever used Bassline Blues. I have some Signal Cable high-level REL cables which are nice (you can get them as mono cables, and/or you can get them with spades). But otherwise, I either use the stock REL high-level cables, or my own custom made (mono) cables for dual subwoofer configurations.

The non-Naim Bassline Blues should work just fine connected at the speaker ends. However, in a dual mono subwoofer configuration, you don’t need the two separate positive leads (Red & Yellow), which are summed by a single, stereo REL subwoofer in single subwoofer configurations. The choices are:

1. Connect both the Red & Yellow leads, of each high-level cable, to the corresponding speaker’s positive binding post. This may be doable with spades if your speaker’s binding post can accomodate a pair of stacked spades.

2. Use only the Red OR Yellow lead, of each high-level cable, to the corresponding speaker’s positive binding post. This is fine because you don’t need to sum both the left & right signals to a single subwoofer, when you use a dedicated subwoofer for each channel. The input to the subwoofer will be a few dB less when using just the Red or just the Yellow lead, but that should be fine. There is one possible minor disadvantage, as explained to me by REL Support, in that the floating positive lead can act like an antenna into the REL amplifier. They advised that it is best to disconnect the unused positive lead at the speakOn connector side (trim or tape the disconnected lead to avoid shorts). Not something that you should mess with unless you are comfortable doing so.

Hi @freedomsounds. Just checking in on this thread to see how you are progressing. I can add a bit about the Bassline Blue cable.

In conversations that I had with REL support when I was researching how to connect a stereo pair to my Naim 500, they mentioned that the Bassline Blue for Naim differs from the “regular” Bassline Blue by the addition of 100 ohm resistance in series to the positive lead. This makes them compatible with the particular design of Naim power amps. So the stock cable supplied with a REL sub could be made compatible with Naim amps by a similar modification. This was actually suggested as an alternative to the Bassline Blue.

Hi JSchmidt, Thank you for checking in, it nice to see that there are a few sub lovers with naim systems here. I was wondering what the cable code differences between the Naim Bassline Blue & the Regular BLB so that is good to know. I was not sure what I was going to think of the NBLB cables when decide to take the leap of faith, but will say that I am glad I did ! They really are a step up and sink very well within my Naim ecosystem. The thing that was most surprising for me was I had just switched out a hi cap 2 non-dr with a SuperCap 2 non-dr in the
system (282,250,nDac,Xps 2 dr) and the system was sounding off (flat). The xps & hi cap running without the subs had a naturalness & transparency I had not attained before it the system, but when I switched out the hi cap for the SuperCap all of the transparency and openness went south, even after a month of SC run-in time the naim magic had still not reappear. So, just on a whim I decided it was time to get the proper cables for the subs and add them into the mix and it was a real surprise, because right from the start the soundstage & most of the naim magic came back and after a week of tweaking the subs it sounding more like naim normal.

For some reason the cables and subs allowed the power of the SuperCap to really shine within the system. I was pretty close the switching the hi cap back in, but now I do think I could go back unless it was hi cap dr.

I know Rel states that the BLS affects the whole sound stage & I will have to say that its true & in a good way. A worthy upgrade.

I run dual REL R-328 subs with a 300DR. I connect the subs to the speaker terminals using a cable my dealer made up from Transparent in-wall shielded cable. It sounds great and I have never had issues with the amp heating up.

Looks great !

I’d be looking for a less cobbled together connection than this.

An ideal might be a solder-on 4mm plug with a side entry available for the non-critical sub connection.

When I had A5 and a sub I just ran some QED 42 strand (or similar) piggybacked at the speaker end.

Not sure how proud I am of this but:

1 Like

Fortunately, my speakers feature WBT cable connectors that have both banana and spade receivers. I use the bananas for my speaker cable, and spades for my REL cables.

I would just use spades on speakers that give you both options, as those Focals do. Worked well on my Kudos speakers too with an N-Sub. Failing that your soldered solution would be my first choice. It doesn’t mater what it looks like if you can’t see it, although I can see that hacking into a pair of Super Lumina cables to do that might be a step too far for some.

I added the stackable Cardas plugs with my REL sub and single binding post speakers. That way I didn’t have to change the plugs on my WH Phantom cables. The REL cable can be either bare wire or spades. They work very well and I’m completely happy with them.

I don’t understand (out side of cost) why Rel did not make or allow for an alternative Naim BLB cable with Spades. At first I was hesitant to go with the stackable bananas and was wanting and wanting to go the spade route given my SLSC are bananas. But guess there is a reason.

The whole point of the Naim version is that it allows you to connect at the amp end for which bananas are the only suitable option. If you connect at the speaker end you can just use the standard Rel cable (with spades) as you no longer need the mod.

Ok, I have a question that’s a little off topic. Has anyone here ever used a Power Line on a Rel Sub ? And if so what was the experience ?

Hi Richard - what is the issue with connecting to the 250DR here (as I have, not having seen this thread before)? I’m using the Naim-specific BassLine Blue and have had no issues, other than the crappy plug connections.

I don’t know anything about the REL baseline cable that they say is designed for use with Naim other than the reports from users here, so I’m unable to comment on that.

The issue with connecting the high level feed straight from the amp is that it can upset Naim amps, resulting in impaired overall performance at best and instability and hum through the speakers at worst. This is why Naim recommend it’s fine from the speaker’s terminals, that way the sub cabling is not really seen by the Subwoofer and performance is maintained.

This is what REL say about the “Naim” version of their Baseline Blue cable…

What’s In a NAIM? These same benefits are available to most NAIM owners—especially the older, classic models. These units feature an unusual output impedance that is quite complex. REL worked closely with NAIM engineers to model this behavior and arrived at a special circuit built into each NAIM cable that replicates this impedance so that it is safe to run Bassline Blue on early NAIMs. We even sourced a wonderful stackable banana plug that makes it so easy to use the cables, just plug them in to NAIM’s flush-mounted chassis banana sockets and then plug your speaker cables directly into the rear of our stackable banana plug

Personally, I just connect my pair of RELs to the speaker terminals. I have no desire to spend $1400 for a pair of fancy REL cables. Not to mention, when using a pair of subs, connecting them at the speaker terminals is much tidier.

Trouble is, when using only one amp you need two cables (if I’ve read it correctly) which seems extravagant. Using the standard cable, I did indeed suffer from hum from my NAP250, but the BassLine Blue cured it immediately with no apparent ill-effects…

You don’t need two cables if you only have one sub. If you have two subs you always need two cables, whether you connect at the amp or at the speakers.

On a Rel cable you can split the outer sheath to run the cores to each speaker, but a much cheaper alternative is to use any old cheap thin speaker cable instead. If you don’t fancy making them up yourself you could easily get a competent dealer to do it, or a cable company such as Designacable.

I must have missed something. How to you wire a single sub to a single speaker and ensure that you get the signal to both?