Replace CDX2 to NDX2

Of course there are many companies making streamers and transitioning from CD to streaming does make sense based on the opening post. You could audition a number.
Or just get the NDX2 and stay with Naim.

1 Like

Does the Node 2 have digital out?
If so, how about nDAC with the XPS DR?
Ought to improve both the CDX2.2 and the Node 2.

2 Likes

Yes, it has but I read that NDAC is very sensitive to the quality of the transport!

CDX2.2 into nDAC will be more than fine. If you do not need network streaming, and all the paraphernalia that comes with it, this will be at least as good as an NDX2.

All subject to personal preference of course. I had the original CDX2 not long after it first came out. I thought it was a great music maker. Very immediate and communicative, more so, I thought, than the CDS2 (head unit) which I traded in against a new CDX2. The CDS2 might have sounded a bit more relaxed and refined, the CDX2 a bit more unruly, but the CDX2 just boogied that bit more. I eventually succumbed and bought a CDS3, hoping to get the best of both worlds, and it was good, but perhaps a bit soporific. So what I’m trying to say is, there are no guarantees with any of these “upgrades”, Tread carefully.

3 Likes

This is my story with Naim streamers and CD players:

My first Naim source was a CD5Si which sounded pretty good with a Nait 5Si.
I then bought an ND5XS and a while later added an upgraded DAC. Sold the CD5Si as it paled in comparison.
Then I bought a CDS2 with XPS which sounded so much better than the ND5XS with external DAC. An NDS with 555PS then came my way and I ripped all my CDs to NAS. The CDS2 with XPS was sold to finance the NDS 555PS. I thought the NDS vs CDS2 was different and not necessarily better.

Later down the line I bought a CDS3 with XPS2 which I had serviced.

My preference overall is slightly towards the NDS because of flexibility and am using it with the better power supply, but the CDS3 is just lovely.

I missed CDs when I went streamer only. And the differences in sound are there. The CDS3 and NDS both have their individual qualities.

If you can have both then that is a good place to be. If you can’t then the streamer will overall win because of the flexibility.

Sometimes it’s a head vs heart decision. No doubt the head will say NDX2 and the heart will say keep both.

I still regret selling my CDS2 with XPS. One of the only bits of hifi I can say I truly miss.

Make your decision carefully and look at finances. By all accounts the CDX2.2 will sound slightly better than the NDX2.

3 Likes

Hi,

I tried the NDAC with the Node2i. I didn’t get the improvement I expected. Feel free to read

(Node 2i with Naim DAC upgrade - less of an improvement?).

In view of the experience my take on it is that you probably should go for a better streamer/DAC like the NDX2, rather than to hope for the Node2i to match the quality of the CDX2.2 by adding the NDAC. (Please note that I have not heard the CDX2.2, only my own CD5x) Or at least, if possible, try the NDAC before purchase. If you plan to also use the NDAC for future streamers or even the CD anyway, it seems to be a nice product to invest in, as you can connect many devices, and a lot of people report they like it and find improvements in sound charachter and quality with Naim gear quite a bit up the ladder.

regards

2 Likes

I have toyed with this conundrum for the past 8 years, ever since adding a little UnitiQute into our system…sound comparisons aside (albeit not being equal as NDX2 would be more equivalent to the CDX2 as opposed to the Qute) the convenience of accessing all our music at the touch of a (sometime frustrating) button, the app drives me nuts sometimes, plus internet radio (I don’t have any subs services) there is still something magical and cool about popping that puck on a silver disc!

I guess this is the CD generation equivalent of the vinyl thing - compared to streaming…

Is it silly, a physical media and different interaction experience, when all that should matter is the sound…I still feel I would regret parting with my CDX2.

Good luck in your search.

2 Likes

Thank you arf005 for your feedback. I have the same feeling, I’m interested only to the SQ but I’m still linked to the phisycal experience to load the CD inside the drawer. From the SQ point of view the files loaded on a NDX2 surely reach the same level or higher than CDX2.
Best option may be to sell the Bluesound and buy a very good deal NDX2, live for a while with CDX2 and NDX2 and decide in relax what is my cup of tea!

3 Likes

Parted with mine. I loved it but I’m still waiting for that pang.

1 Like

Hi Mike, if I well understood you are fully happy about the change right? If the sound quality is the same or higher I think also that in a few time a good streamer with a very good App may help to forget a CD player but…

I have not listened to this much music for years. I can’t really say more than that.

1 Like

You should try the NDX2 for sure. Personally, I replaced my CDX2 with an NDX2 and have never regretted it. Paired with the XPS-DR I was using with the CDX2, it sounds wonderful - and the opportunities it brings to discover new music is icing on the cake.

3 Likes

Thank you AlanJ,
If the sound quality is equivalent to CDX2 ok, unfortunately I cannot try a NDX2 before buying. It would be a blind change. I read that the sound timbre is different but I can’t really believe that NDX2 does not have the typical Naim sound. Just in case I’ll use both with XPSDR not bare.

For my part I felt the NDX2 was an improvement over the CDX2 - with, in particular, a wider soundstage. As I said, I never regretted replacing the CDX2 with the NDX2. However I didnt buy it blind. I had the benefit of my dealer’s NDX2 for 10 days before deciding. I’d always be very wary of buying blind.

I like to play and collect cds although I have an nd5xs2.Cds are my preference. I play a cd over and over till I know it by heart. I fidget with streaming because the choice is huge and I never listen properly. Just me.
I had a ndx2 on loan for a while but sadly it was one beset with problems and returned.
The flat capped cd5xs is becoming long in the tooth and I felt it could be bettered.Although it’s ability to switch between speakers and headphone amplifier is much appreciated.
After chats with the dealer this turned up on the doorstep.image
Accuphase dp430 and whilst not to my design taste or really the best in the range it really does show how far CD players abilities/cost have come since Naim bowed out of the market. Sad but I shall probably be nudged toward a Hegel Mohican (nice …last of) which won’t look out of place with the Naim bits.

Give me something new and Naim of the equivalent for about £5000 and I would order it tomorrow.
N

Richard. If you feel this post is a platform for other manufacturers please wipe it. But as it a market in which Naim no longer participate
I thought it might be informative . Votre choix.

4 Likes

I had a CDX2 and nDAC with XPSDR and then PS555DR. My streaming solution was to replace the CDX2 with Innuos Zenith 2 and Audiophilleo + PurePower. I still have the CDX2 so my wife doesn’t have to grapple with an App. I didn’t have to grapple with a NAS, Ripping and Minim/Asset because the Innuos does it all.

If you like Chord DAC or other USB DACs you don’t need the Audiophilleo, but you can get further SQ improvements with the Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker which cleans the signal.

Mine make beautiful music into a 552/500 which replaced a 252/300.

Phil

2 Likes

It’s actually pretty straightforward for most networking needs if you don’t overthink it, and none of switches, better NAS, better cables, etc., is necessary to get good SQ from the NDX2. Very similar to all the things you could do to CDs was well, from magic potions to painting their rims, but the CDX2 makes fine music without them as well

2 Likes

Not my experience.
Sure when I used to have a Naim cd player I would just place, pluck and start.

1 Like

May not have been your experience, but has been for most, and digital angst should not be a factor in deciding for or against an NDX2. In most domestic networks, hooking up and NDX2 to wifi or an ethernet cable will most likely not be an issue, and a fancy switch or cable will not transform its sound to something completely different-
And yes, you could simply plug in a CD, but you could also have listened to the people who told you to buy their magic marker to paint the CDs.
And on the NDX2 with a streaming subscription, you can simply tap something and play it.

Do you think I’m easily led?
I made the move with no regret and I know what I’m talking about , the network environment is something to be dealt with more than you would think or Naim or whatever makes you think

1 Like