Replacement for my Tablette 10s

FWIW - I ran a pair of ProAc D2’s with my XS 2 a few years back and they are fantastic.

Good luck with your search and hopefully you have a local dealer who can let you home demo.

1 Like

Just a thought: I recently tried a pair of Hifi racks stands with my ATC scm11’s, at first I liked what they did, but then realised a lot of the bass had gone, tried a little sub; didn’t work, I put my heavy metal stands back - all back to normal. Thankfully I needed a pair of stands on my upstairs system & they were great (didn’t want too much bass in the bedroom :grimacing:).
I can suggest moving your speakers slightly closer to the rear wall, the slightest movement makes a lot of difference - speaking from my experience with my SCM’s (which don’t ‘go down’ very far in the bass dept) :slight_smile:

Only heard them once but they generated a surprisingly big sound with the right system behind them. It was a very big listening room too.

1 Like

The SX3 are great speakers – thinking about them for a second system. But I am not sure whether they will deliver the bass the OP is after… Beautiful treble though!

1 Like

Budget is not really the issue. Floor standing speakers are a possible but I want to explore stand mounted first.
I have tried Neat SX2 and they were okay but my view is they are no better than the Tab 10, that is why I got them but I think the same issues would have arisen eventually with the Neats.
The ATC SCM11 were demoed and were the best of the lot, no doubt, but no oak so not had.
Spendor A2 may be an option, but I need to listen to them first and test at home.

@crispyduck
@Murmur Probably my future system. ( I too have room issues/ my MA rx2 Are rear ported and 20cm from wall)

1 Like

Just got Tabs 10s myself and don’t find them too light in the bass at all. My previous speakers were too much being floorstanders. Stands make a big difference I have found. Perhaps you have some bass suckout in your room. Have you measured it to see?

2 Likes

They don’t, tabs wiped the floor with them in my demo, they sounded very boxey to.

2 Likes

I tried them in my demos recently worst of the lot in my opinion, horrible sounding.

1 Like

Dear @crispyduck, upon buying the PMC ( for partnering with the Nova) did you had opportunity to compare the .21 vs .22?

It can be too much though if room isn’t right. It was in my case. With the Tabs I just got they don’t take up any less space, but are easier to place as being a sealed box and don’t get the resonance issue I had and bass is clear and defined now. My room is not much smaller than the ops and mine face down the long wall. But I guess it really depends on where the listening position as well as speaker position that matters. If you have no options in this then you have to make hard choices, mine was to abandon floorstanders.

1 Like

However the OP wants more bass than the Tab 10s give…

I have heard them both and I think the 22’s would just be too much for my room, particularly the bass. I have to say the 21’s are not lacking anything in my room. I think it was @feeling_zen who once said that when going for PMC’s, go for one size smaller than you think. In the end though it is all down to your ears, room etc

2 Likes

Think @Naim_The_Dragon made a good point about amplification.

1 Like

with due caveats, ( in case is Not possible to make a home audition/ that’s my case) it’s better Not to risk and make a conservative approach. Think you And @feeling_zen are right about size of speaker

When you give up trying to find a standmount with bass, try the Wilson Benesch Square 2, 3 or 5. All same 10 inch depth and 8 inch width, but increasing height and lowering bottom end - and available in oak.

Great thing about the 21’s, IMO, is that they seem to do everything well. I listen to a lot of classical and they have such a low colouration and noise floor that I can hear hear so much detail but in a very unforced, natural way. My wife, who rarely comments on my hifi, suddenly announced that she liked these speakers because ‘ they don’t force the music onto you’.
I also like to turn the volume up on occasion and you would not believe the soundstage and volume these little marvels can produce. Leftism by Leftfield is just awesome

2 Likes

I have the 21’s “taller” brother — the 23 (same driver and tweeter). Both are great speakers in my opinion. The 23 though offer more “gravitas” as you would expect from a bigger speaker, and the 23 are also very easy to place.

With the arrival of the so-called “improved” Twenty5 series, one can get great deals for the old series. A good time for bargain hunters. :smiley:

3 Likes

S**t. I got to Make an appointment in my dealer… ( curiosity…) :sweat_smile:

I very much agree that PMC offers great detail — superb for listening “into” music. I also listen to a lot of classical music. Almost exclusively classical, and a bit of Jazz on occasion.