Replacement for my Tablette 10s

Try the Neat Ministra … these are isobarik and very punchy they may be worth a home trial…either that or the PMC 25.21i … another well balanced mini…

1 Like

Initially I wasn’t keen on floorstanders — thought about a choice between PMC Twenty5.21 and Neat SX3 after listening to a lot of monitors. And when we tried floorstanders, it turned into Twenty5.23 vs SX1 — especially for orchestral music but also they made a difference for “simple” piano sonatas. Think Beethoven Pathetique, for instance.

1 Like

In all fairness, the footprint is the same.
But visually, my wife prefers a less intrusive Mass

…or the Neat Momentum SX3i. They need a meaty amp, though i suspect a NAIT XS 2 maybe up to it. Just…

As a note don’t rule out a sub … I would suggest a second hand velodyne DD10+ amazing sub with incredible bass and integration (I use one) look to pay sub 1k… This would out perform allot of speakers…and would work brilliantly with the tablettes…

Fair point — but the 23 are fairly slim, one might even say elegant… And fairly nice wood — we have oak.

Maybe audition with her first some massive Kudos Titan, and then introduce in the Twenty5.23. All is relative… :rofl:

1 Like

Bloody hell — 3.5K. For this and the monies for the Tablettes or PMC 25.21/23, one can buy some proper speakers… :joy:

1 Like

Trying to shape her thought ?! :joy:

I’ve also found a better source can help with Bass/LF. I was pleasantly surprised when I added a better DAC when I had my xs2.

1 Like

Yeah I have seen them second hand …they are reasonable then…I would not suggest buying new…but they are amazing…its worth a thought…

Yes you are correct but there is a limit to the tablette…

1 Like

Yes Sir, I agree. Hence the D2R’s for me.

2 Likes

Fab!

1 Like

Indeed - switching from Atom to Nova I got a bigger soundstage out of Tabs but no more bass

3 Likes

The golden ratio is 1.6 : 1.0 : 0.6. Box dimensions approaching this ratio will have less internal sound resonances. If you adhere to that theory, floor standing speakers are probably a compromise because they would magnify a narrow band of frequencies inside the box.

It is probably why almost all BBC speakers use this ratio with different box sizes.
With all reservations… :wink:

Ignoring the fact that floorstanding speakers could be made with precisely those ratios of internal dimensions, many speakers aren’t simply boxes inside at all, e.g. isobaric and transmission line designs. With these the external box proportions give no indication at all of whether internally there might be more than one one pair of reflecting surfaces that may give rise to standing waves at the same frequency. Other factors also come into play including angles of internal surfaces (some even have curved sides hinting at just that internally), and the use of absorbent materials.

There is therefore nothing about a floorstander per se to suggest it is any more compromised than a standmount - and indeed at least at the bass end there is every possibility that they will be less compromised than a standmount - however, given the necessary additional materials and complexity of design, it is likely that for a comparable mid and top a decent floorstander would be likely to be considerably more expensive than a standmount, and may place greater demands on the power amp. But that is the price of full range sound (alternatively a sub, or better still pair, with attendant challenges of integration).

IB, that all make sense but I have a feeling that today’s loudspeaker designs are all about fashion.

I think the simpler, most effective and less expensive way to make a good sounding box is still a rectangular enclosure. Look at Spendor, Harbeth, Tannoy, Audio Note, JBL, etc, etc… Is this just nostalgia or what?

Look at PMC - the higher level designs not the possibly more fashion influenced ones: the boxes are rectangular, but the internals far from, with reflections very different: and to me at the bass end transmission lines beat other designs hands down. Or look at Wilson Benesch - I don’t think they are a follower of fashion, but most of their designs are not rectangular boxes (oddly the Square series was, and I suggested it earlier in the thread - but purely for its consistent 10 inch depth meeting the OP’s strict limit that rules out most speakers).

I know what you mean about transmission lines. I have built TL speakers in the past with long hair wool damping, Dynaudio and Kef drivers…

I too prefer the bass output from transmission lines and yes, small PMC’s could be a good option for the OP to avoid boomy bass from an enclosure close to the wall.

I have had bookshelfs that have lacked bass (NSats and SCM 11’s) and the best upgrades for bass were upgrading the LP12 and adding the 272. The 10’s are fantastic. I would try to home demo a better amp/source in addition to trying new speakers

1 Like