Replacement for Titan 808s

@pumpexch Funny . I’m 62 and had my mid life crisis in my forties. Bought and rode a bunch of Motorcycles. Lots of road trips with friends. Mainly BMW’s : 2 R1100RT, 1 R1200R,
2 K1200RS, 1 K1200S, 1 K1200GT, 1 Honda ST1200abs, 1 Triump ST995, 1 Triump Tiger 1200abs. I spent a sh.t ton of money on the bikes , riding gear, suspension upgrades, lighting all types of modifications. Had a lot of fun. Then things got difficult and I got sick and figured close to 100,000 miles and I never had anything bad happen, time to hang it up. Best to walk away while I still could. Never really cottoned to the idea of eating through a straw

1 Like

I know you use Dunc but on the whole most say they need lots of room also.

2 Likes

If speaker width is an issue what about one of the PMC fact signatures- could be worth a listen?

Apologies - just seen that @Dunc has already recommended!

How about some smaller Titan’s - 707’s perhaps ?

I have 606’s in a room slightly smaller than yours (22’ x 13’) firing across the smaller dimension of the rectangle. They sound fine.

2 Likes

Sopra 2 perhaps ?

If you like the 808 sound signature and need a stand mount, how about the 505’s ? Or 606 perhaps - still a floorstander, but same footprint and ‘airspace’ as 505 on stands.

Alternatively, I heard the Wilson TuneTots on the end of 552/500 a little while back and they sounded fabulous and very ‘full range’. Seemed to suit the Naim’s very nicely.

Whilst the Wilson Audio Sasha DAW are less tall, they are quite wide and, need a lot of space behind them, so close to a wall is no no IMHO.
They do sound very good though.

shrank over time? :wink:

1 Like

As @Dunc and @crispyduck already suggested, with your system I would also give PMC fact.12 signature a listen. They sound amazingly and I think your wife will like them.

Avalon acoustics and Vimberg are worthy of consideration & listening. Much more modern styling too.

I always think posts like Wow! are a bit mindless but somehow Wow! seems the best option in this case.

Wonderful system in a wonderful room with a wonderful view.

.sjb

7 Likes

Another PMC Fact 12 recommendation.

How close to the wall are we talking?

Hi @pumpexch ,

Considering their intrinsic qualities, especially when it comes to low frequencies, sealed designs might be an interesting option to consider.

Sealed designs tend to be easier to accommodate.

My previous speakers, relatively small (Jean-Marie Reynaud Abscisse), use to cause more room-related issues than those I have now (a lot bigger).

Unfortunately, well-designed sealed speakers tend to be costly, but they are worth it, in my opinion. I wouldn’t go back to a ported design.

Depending on your budget, brands to consider would be: ATC, YG Acoustics, and, of course, Magico. But I suppose there are other good options out there.

Cheers

Actually at their widest they’re only 14” or 35cm. And I’ve heard them setup close to a rear wall and they sounded wonderful.

1 Like

I have tried my fact 12’s in loads of positions in my room, close, wide, etc, etc and right now they are once again close into the corners and tight ish to the rear wall.
Out of all the speakers i have tried, i have found these by far the easiest to live with as far as position goes, they are a fast, detailed speaker, that works very well with naim.
The dealer first mentioned them, when i was discussing my system and room problems and have to say he was right, as they just sounded great right from the off.
Well worth a try i would say

1 Like

Just to add i was also very interested in the titan 808 and 88, but was told in my circumstances, they probably would not be best suited and actually worse than what i had before the fact 12’s

I’ve only ever heard them (Wilson Sasha DAW) at around 18"-2’ away from the rear wall but felt they should have been further out into the room. The bass to my ears was borderline boomy even at the distance that I heard them. Apart from the slight over-emphasis on the bass, they did indeed sound lovely.

You said recently :

« A latest pic, speakers moved, much more air around them for a faster bass and cleaner detailed sound.«

So finally you put them again in the corners ?

1 Like