Replacing Washi paper with Lyra Lydian

Many owners of Lyra heads are faced with an unpleasant moment, or rather, with contamination and wear of Japanese Washi paper, which is installed at the factory and acts as a boot.

This problem also affected my Lyra Lydian. Decided to figure it out. Since this paper comes in various types, textures and densities, and there is absolutely no information on the Internet, I had to turn on the deductive method and look for the right one, the one that was on my head from the factory, fortunately there were small fragments thereof on the cartridge. In general, paper of various textures was put on Lyra, which can be seen in numerous photos on the net, therefore they did not adhere to any strict standard.
Japanese Maruishi silk paper, a high-quality hand-cast restoration paper from Japico, was selected.
Ingredients: 100% manila.
Density 9 g/m2.

The texture and density are exactly the same. Kuranai natur (9 g / m2) was also suitable, but it is a little yellow, not bleached. For gluing, I chose and used a non-toxic glue stick for paper and fabric. You need an invisible amount on the tip of a toothpick. I applied it to the old places of gluing. It is important to use only non-magnetic tools.
In general, the work is not very difficult, but it requires a certain restraint and maximum accuracy.
I hope that this information will be interesting and somewhat useful. Photo:

Old Washi removed…

New paper installed…

With casing…

In its place…

For factory comparison

Sorry for my English, I used a translator :wink:

12 Likes

Nice looking job.

Does it make any difference to the performance?

Thanks. I didn’t notice any obvious difference. The weight remained the same.

Very interesting thread, Mike.

My wife is a Paper Conservator, albeit Art on paper, but she will be interested in this as she has a general interest in Japanese paper. She may not have any more insights than what you have discovered as it’s not her expertise area, but I will show her your discoveries.

She will be fascinated to discover that Washi Paper is used in TT components.

Incidentally, when we were in Japan some years ago, we went to a traditional Washi paper manufacturer to see the paper making process. Very interesting.

1 Like

Nice job. Very neat.

Does the Linn Krystal cartridge have the same as it does look very similar?

2 Likes

Agree your comments about the job/neatness.
Don’t know about the Krystal but my Kandid certainly appears to have Washi (or similar) paper fitted.
Hope it never needs replacing…I don’t have the patience or skill to replace it!

Can someone explain to me why they glue fancy paper to the cartridge in the first place? Thanks

1 Like

I’m assuming to keep dust and general muck out of things… but someone more knowledgeable than this armchair high end MC cartridge expert will hopefully be along to say for sure :slight_smile:

But why not close it in another way or use something that won’t require tracking down fancy Japanese paper and delicate surgery … (or lasts at least as long as the stylus)

Effective, and very light/non resonant? And esoteric - to aid with the legend!? :wink:

Well, “many owners of Lyra heads are faced with…” seems not entirely effective. But of course I should have thought of the catch-all hifi cop-out in your second sentence. I wish I could use something like this in my job. “Why is this application crashing all of the time, and miscalculating my totals” - “we listened to it and it sounds best this way” :rofl:

1 Like

It’s a type of non woven fabric, which is often used to deaden sound waves. Presumably it’s not microphonic.
Performs like a nude cartridge but not actually nude?

An interesting program on NHK World not long ago, explaining the wonders of Washi paper.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s a wonderful example of intricate Japanese culture.

It’s not a fabric, but paper. Made from the Mulberry bark…so I am told.

There are many types of Washi paper. The Washi paper used by Mike to repair his cartridge is definitely a Non Woven fabric. IMO.
The washi paper shown in the link I posted that is used to repair old books is also Non Woven fabric.

Mulberry bark is used to make Washi paper, but so are other things.

Maybe it contains the answers you seek.

It will also give you opportunity to learn about stuff, other than layers, packets and protocols. :grinning:

It’s either Paper or Fabric, FatCat, it can’t be both.

If it’s authentic Washi Paper, then it’s paper made from a tree as opposed to a fabric like cotton which is made from a plant/flower or Papyrus, which is made from grass.

I’ll take a look when I’m back home from this horrible 12+ hours journey I’m still on. Thanks :slight_smile:

According to UNESCO, the craft of Washi Paper making is classified as an ‘intangible cultural heritage’.

I love the word ‘intangible’.

1 Like

No reason why it can’t it be both.
There are many types of Washi paper. The Washi paper used by Mike to repair his cartridge has the structure of what I know as Non Woven fabric.

Paper isn’t nessercerilly made from a tree.

Cotton paper, made from cotton.
Woolen Paper made from a mixture of wool and cotton.
Flax paper.

Viscose which is known as a fabric is made from wood pulp. :nerd_face: