Resurrecting 30 year old system, speaker quandary caused by SWMBO

They are the oak. Despite what it says on their website, ProAc no longer do them in maple.

I’d be interested in what @Nicosrex ‘s better half thinks of them, or at least the small stand mounts approach. The SBLs are great - I’ve had three pairs - but these little speakers have been an absolute revelation, and there is no buggering around with gaskets, silicone, metal pads and all the other setup malarkey.

1 Like

Just curious. Did you play with placement? Distance between them, toe in? I’m always a bit surprised at speakers up against the wall and firing straight out.

But I can understand it being an aesthetic constraint, I have to deal with those myself (no rack).

They are in fact a bit toed in. ProAc recommend they they are toed in more, so you can’t see the inside edges, but as we sit all over the room that’s not so practical. It seems to give a nice room filing sound, which is what matters to me.

1 Like

It’s clearly off topic, but I thought you were a great fan of Fraim? What made you change? Or is it an old photograph?

I suspect from the Italian stylist angle something like a single column stand would be more appealing…

FWIW. Mrs. Opus very much likes the looks of my ProAc D20R in Ebony. She says they are very elegant, and she actually works in the Fashion/ Textile industry!

2 Likes

Thank you all for your input, your comments have been constructive, understanding, often humorous, and have made me feel very welcomed.

@anon4489532, your system looks elegant and stylish to my eyes and fits very well in your room, the speakers and equipment rack look very well matched too. While conceding that your Tablettes and stands look a lot less obtrusive that my ES14s, she basically has vetoed any open stands as looking “too industrial”.

@Innocent_Bystander, single column stands have also been ruled out with comments like “looks top heavy” and “like a very thin man with an enormous head”.

@opus, I have no doubt that your ProAcs would get the nod as far as appearance goes. Sadly they are going to be well outside the budget. :cry:

De gustibus non disputandum est. This is true for both the sonic qualities (my priority) and appearance (hers). Thank goodness the LP12 requires no compromises (other than budget) as it has the sound that I love and she likes its classic and iconic looks, my chrome bumper Naim kit likewise will sound great when serviced and the simple understated appearance has her wholehearted approval.

The SBL was something that I aspired to 30 years ago, I liked their sound and their quirky looks, but price considerations, lack of a suitable solid wall to stand them against, and my unfounded fears about setting them up ruled them out at the time. These no longer apply, and as a bonus the financial risk is low because if they don’t suit for whatever reason I should be able to sell them on for pretty much what I pay for them.

Out of curiosity I will audition some more modern alternative floor standers including those that have been kindly suggested here but I strongly suspect that I will struggle to get the sound that I like for a price that is affordable to me.

Any further suggestions will be very welcome.

You guys have been brilliant, and have increased my excitement and anticipation to be able to listen to music with real enjoyment at home once more.

I will continue to update as things progress.

Thank you all again so much.

4 Likes

Given the comment about column stands, how about slim floorstanders, e.g. PMC Fact 8? Also my previous suggestion if N-Sats wall mounted, and N-Sub (though some people are happy without the sub)

Well, at least it’s now very clear that stands are out, which is helpful. I’m sure you’ll be more than happy with the SBLs, they are lovely speakers and are very neat and tidy. I had a cherry pair of the Mk2 all over veneered versions and they were very smart.

While realising it can be really annoying when people make these suggestions, do consider getting a CB Nap 250. It will drive the SBLs so much better, and given you could sell the serviced 140 and that the speakers are well under budget, is easily affordable. You’ll end up with a wonderful, classic system.

1 Like

Slim floorstanders are indeed my “plan b” if the SBL prove too elusive to find the right pair or unsuitable for any reason.

The N-Sats, or indeed any wall mounted speaker are a possibility, although I may find it difficult to site them as there isn’t a lot of wall space due to chimney breast, alcoves with planned shelving for vinyl storage and the wall-mounted TV. Will keep them in mind as overall plans for how the room will be laid out evolve.

Fraim is great. I just wanted something smaller, simpler and more discreet, yet which still performs well. The maple and silver Fraim jarred next to the oak and black speakers.

It’s as if you are inside my head!

My dream electronics are (and have always been) CB NAC 32.5, HiCap, NAP 250.

Once everything else is sorted, I will hope to move towards that end in increments, so that I can enjoy each improvement for a while before moving on to the next.

I had that for a good few years. The 32.5 is just lovely, especially the little toggle mute switch. If you do make gradual improvements, I suspect the 250 will be the biggest. It really brings the SBLs to life, despite the fact that they are easy to drive.

1 Like

If you go for a Chrome bumper 250 you may find it cuts out if you play it loud for any length of time. I had to move up to 135s to manage to have a party! My previous Nap 90 was much less prone to that in spite of being less powerful so your 140 should be fine.

1 Like

I owned a 250 for years and it never once cut out. It can drive SBLs hard for hours on end. With some daft load it may, but that’s better than frying one’s tweeters.

3 Likes

Both PMC and ATC do speakers intended for wall mounting, while flush mounting (face of speaker flush with wall) of speakers has advantages: This can lend itself to placing speakers within shelving full of vinyl, CDs, books, etc, with the fronts of the shelf contents levelled with the speakers (or even better, some unevenness to create a scattering effect on reflected sound).

2 Likes

I have known 250 CB’s to cut out especially on hot summer nights here in Australia in the middle of a party - but of a laugh at the time, bummer on the party mood though

3 Likes

Will bear that in mind. Hopefully won’t be an issue, room isn’t too big, and for a party I always have the kitchen system. 2700 W of Yamaha PA is plenty loud enough, even cut back between 3 and 8 DB it rattles windows 3 doors away with the mixer lighting less than halfway up the green.

1 Like

Will definitely look into them as a possible option!

Would these be an alternative to open stands ? They look very chic to me

They are by Quadraspire

2 Likes