Resurrecting 30 year old system, speaker quandary caused by SWMBO

When I used to run a rock disco I used to use a 50w stereo amp. It was good for very loud play in quite a large pub room or small to medium size halls - After one gig someone asked what power I was running, guessing 3k. They didn’t believe me when I told them! But then my speakers were very efficient horns, a version of these:
Maybe your wife would like them instead?!

4 Likes

These are the Totem Forest Signatures that Mrs Mike approved, quite elegant and run nicely with Naim:

3 Likes

They look lovely to me but except as a really last resort stands are probably not an option

1 Like

Stunning to look at!

2 Likes

I don’t think I have seen many (if any) critical comments about Totem on this forum - but their distribution isn’t strong in UK

2 Likes

Something completely off the wall*, that may have some of the sound signature elements of the Epos (due to the lack of a crossover… not even a single capacitor!).
The Eclipse TD508Mk3

. * Pun intended, although they CAN be wall mounted!

Another (slightly!) more conventional option to consider woruls be the Neat Iota Alpha… They are VERY compact being less then 1/2m tall.

6 Likes

I would suggest a look/listen to the neat range of floorstanders I have a pair of
Xplorers which give a great well balanced sound and are easy on the eyes being fairly short.

Second that Granted - excellent speakers

Xplorers are great speakers, and I did consider buying a pair. If that form appeals then Shahinian Arcs might be worth a look. That’s what I ended up buying instead, as they had the edge on sound quality for me. A good used pair can be a real bargain for the performance they offer. Probably best to wait until you have a 250 to drive them, though.
For something smaller also consider Shahinian Compass.

3 Likes

The Eclipse are just a bit too unconventional in appearance, the Neats on the other hand look like contenders!

1 Like

Hi @Nicosrex,

I made the mistake of listening to a pair of SBLs eighteen months ago, they are the best sounding speakers for my room I have heard - Victorian semi with brick walls. Since buying them I have:

Sold my beloved EAR amp for a 300DR;
Bought an uprated pair of PXOs for them;
Had a new set of drivers fitted - some of the last I think Naim had.

And …SWMBO loves 'em; it only took thirty years of conditioning with non-boundary speakers.

They are wonderfully fast and phase coherent. If they work in your room I am sure you will be well pleased.

M

4 Likes

@ChrisSU , I also love the great soundstage of Shahinian Arcs, but believe they need lots of room around them to perform at their best. Also, they would need to be a great bargain SH to fit the OPs budget! I have never heard the Compass but their rather individual appearance might appeal on aesthetic grounds🙂. The Neat range is definitely worth investigating.

1 Like

I like my Arcs, and don’t find them particularly fussy about positioning. A new pair now is quite expensive, but older used ones do come up for sale fairly regularly and I reckon the OP might find a pair within his budget with a bit of patience. I was prompted to suggest them thinking that they could be considerably cheaper than the Xplorers that were suggested earlier.

2 Likes

…welcome back and I would put a plus one for the folks recommending the ProAc Tablette 10.

I enjoy ProAc speakers and they have a wonderful synergy with NAIM. I have owned the ProAC D2’s and currently the D30RS speakers.

Hopefully you have the opportunity to have a demo at a dealers and then at home prior to the final decision.

Good luck with your upcoming decision…

2 Likes

The suggestion was Alphas not Xplorers.

PMC GB1s can be picked up for less than a grand and go well with Naim. I’ve been using the i versions for years. First with an XS and now with 72/Hicap/180. Being transmission line they are not to fussy about positioning.

1 Like

I was responding to @Granted who suggested Xplorers.

I’ve recently got some OB1i’s to go with a Supernait 2 and am very pleased. The rear corner (slightly toed in) is ~35cm from the rear wall. Bass is fine and I suspect they could go even closer to the wall without too many problems.

2 Likes

@ChrisSU. Thinking back, my comment on the Arcs was probably more to do with my difficult listening room rather than any inherent characteristics of the speakers.

@ Nicosrex. An interesting read might be the the thread “Epos ES14’s to Shahinian Compasses”. There are also a couple of members here who have posted pics of their Compasses in the system pics threads.

Regarding the op simple solution get rid of swmbo I would, why should she dictate what he can and cannot have jees :flushed::thinking: if I was in same situation I would question our relationship :thinking:. It’s about give and take and from what I’ve read she’s in control here and not prepared to compromise. Give into women all the time you’ve made a rod for your own back. Would she like it he dictated what she can and cannot have… :thinking: though so