Retirement Rig

I bought my retirement system 15 years before I retired. I found myself a single parent with a much reduced social life. Made sense to remortgage so that I could buy the system given that I had many evenings free to use it. 21 years later it’s still the same although my sources are now different (Xerxes became an Lp12 and CDS3 recently became an NDX2). One of my better decisions I must say…

4 Likes

:laughing: It’s parked in my living room these days! Biking days now are on comfortable Harleys!

2 Likes

I got back into Hi Fi for the same reasons in 2006, best thing about getting divorced! I’m now looking to finish the upgrade journey which is the point of this post, music has been the constant in my life and has never let me down so hearing it at it’s best at home has been my endeavour - sorry sounds a bit deep and dark but it’s not meant to :laughing:

4 Likes

Retired in 2013. Lucky to be able to at 60. Hadn’t had a “nice” audio system for many decades. With everything happening in the world, mostly not good, I decided 2021 was the year I would get back into “HiFi”. It’s actually probably cheaper than antidepressants, alcohol and drugs. Bought most of my end system this year. Waiting on one more piece still on back order and possibly one other. It keeps me sane.

2 Likes

I thought these were to be used with the Hi Fi… :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I probably should have said excessive amounts…

4 Likes

I remember reading a tip for enhancing hi fi performance for only £6 or £7. Buy and drink a bottle of wine while listening.

3 Likes

Something many of us do regularly I am sure…

1 Like

It’s a great upgrade. :grin:

1 Like

You’ll struggle to get a decent wine for £6 these days.

4 Likes

Doesn’t need to be decent to get the upgrade effects, a big bottle of white lightning would do the trick!

On the other hand it’s relatively easy for €6.

Indeed.

Same issue here @benjy except it was a move from cd to streaming. The world’s music at our fingertips these days is such a delight.

Take care

G

1 Like

Hey, don’t dis my favourite wine.

2 Likes

The situation is however reversed when it comes to whisky. For me it sort of evens out.

1 Like

The only trouble with that is that the musicians make so little that we may well have far less music in the future. We can’t have something for nothing.

1 Like

That will somehow have to get sorted out between the musicians and labels sooner or later.

I pay less than $13/mon for Qobuz. I would happily pay double or triple that if I knew that all that extra money went to the artists. Otherwise, the only way I can support artists is going to concerts and buying records. I don’t use CDs so I don’t buy them.

The only concerts I attend are jazz and classical. Rock concerts are just too damn loud, and I am forced to wear earplugs if I go. I went to see Hot Tuna last year. It was originally sold as Hot Tuna Acoustic when I bought tickets, and ended up Hot Tuna Electric when I arrived. I hated it, whereas Hot Tuna Acoustic I saw previously is one of the best concerts I’ve been to.

1 Like

I really hope someone is thinking/working on some mechanism where you can add some amount to appreciate good albums … if you could just feed a sum at the right spot so the money is shared among the musicians according to the same rules they get paid and distributed for the album itself.

Now, I haven’t thought this through, but how about a fixed cost when you add an album to your favourites?