Richard Thompson

I’m about to be a little controversial here! Having first encountered RT when seeing him and Linda perform IWTSTBLT in a Sheffield pub in the early 70s I’ve been a great admirer of his guitar playing. His voice, on the other hand, just doesn’t do it for me. As a backing vocalist, fine. As lead, or solo, very mediocre. I really don’t get the hero worship I’m afraid. Talented yes, musical god, I don’t think so.

1 Like

If being a gifted singer was a pre-requisite for making good music there’d be precious little of it about :laughing:

2 Likes

Totally agree…but never understood why i never became successful, my singing in the shower is awful apparently.:wink:

2 Likes

RT’s voice is idiosyncratic, for sure. For those of us who enjoy it, it’s probably more to do with it suiting those remarkable songs perfectly. For those who don’t, it’s like paint stripper. Like, say, Dylan, Jagger, Plant, Joplin and many more: voices that many find to be an assault on their senses, but they work in context.

@Gazza You just need better material :wink:

5 Likes

to improve the sound you most likely need to move back from the shower-head and adjust your toes in…

4 Likes

Apparently its really bad…but costs nothing to try😉

1 Like

With the latest perfect pitch software you’d be fine. There was a really good documentary about it on BBC Radio 4 Extra.

2 Likes

Did no-one else notice that his new partner’s name is Zara Phillips ?!! :smile:

1 Like

SS500

RT fans get yer lugholes round this.
Kami Thompson and her hubbie James Walbourne’s new folk pop band The Rails. JW is the lead guitar player for The Pretenders.
Stunning album with seriously great songwriting. Influences include Fairports, Aimee Mann, Crowded House, Everly Brothers, Al Stewart.
Kami is clearly now a much better vocalist than either of her parents. And her hubbie gives his more famous father-in-law a serious run for his money on the old geetar.
But the songs are so superb. Just 10 of them and no filler. Dark lyrics against wonderful melodies and chord progressions. In a fair world there could easily be 4 or 5 singles on this wonderful record. Easily the best new album I’ve heard in 2019.

3 Likes

Just checked them out on Youtube - blimey she sounds just like her Dad :flushed:

1 Like

I saw them last week, I posted this in the Concerts thread. What concerts have you been to in 2019?

the last time I saw Richard in concert, The Rails were the supporting act on first, and very good they were too. On the strength of their performance, I bought their first (?) album, which unfortunately I found strangely underwhelming. Perhaps their choice of tracks has improved since then.

1 Like

I enjoyed Fair Warning, but it didn’t live up to them live. Cancel the Sun is the one where I think they’ve really nailed it, very fine songs really well performed.

Maybe I should give them another try then Mr Eoink.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.