Richer sound

The aforementioned phot’s

Have you tried speaker placement changes? Dynaudio usually needs to be farther from the back wall.

If your Rega Ania sounds brighter and harsher than your other sources then I would certainly investigate a variety of other cartridges such as the Goldring or Sumiko range which generally have a very nice balanced sound.

The other way of taming a shrill sound is usually by changing speakers as loudspeakers often have the biggest impact on tonal presentation. I’ve generally found Pro-Ac loudspeakers to offer a rich and weighty presentation and I would suggest floorstanders over stand mount as the larger cabinets enable greater bass extension. That’s a big room you’re trying to drive with a compact bookshelf speaker and I can’t help feeling a larger standmount design would be helpful.

I would probably look at an amplifier change last as I love Naim amplification, but if you decide that is the right approach I would recommend you take a listen to the Leema Acoustics range. I have never heard any amplifiers that offer so much bang for the buck or offer such a genuine taste of high end sound at affordable prices and the build quality is quite simply astounding. I reviewed the Tucana Integrated but they have recently launched the Neutron and Electron range which sound great and are even more affordable.

Hope that is helpful, JonathanG

1 Like

Try a Sugden IA4 as they are amazing.

1 Like

Not sure how that is going to make the OP’s possibly undersized speakers for their room / room position sound more bassey.
But yes Sugden make great amps.
I agree with some comments already made, given the layout of room and distance from some of the listening areas, larger speakers may be required… also slightly curious of the concave window between the speakers and what that might be doing to the sound… does the sound change much if a tick curtain is (temporarily) draped across that window bay? Concave structures can amplify … and is that concentrating certain frequencies ?

1 Like

Maybe all of the soft furnishings between & behind the speakers are absorbing all of the low energy and warmth from the presentation. I’d be inclined to completely re-site the speakers or maybe introduce a sub near to the listening position.

I am terrible when it comes to experimenting - gotta declare that from the get go!

However, I totally agree with some of the comments above about taking some time out and playing around with the placement of your speakers in the room to establish if what you are hearing can be improved upon. That process may not get you to any nirvana position but it may well help you understand what obstacles you need to overcome in your room, particularly if there are non negotiable limits as to where the speakers can sit!

I say this after having spent far too much ££ over several years achieving far too little before understanding that the room shape was having a massive influence on what could be achieved, without other acoustic measures being introduced.

As Simon mentioned, I too was wondering what limits the current speaker location may be having - I’m not entirely sure from the curtains if there is solid wall behind them, but there is certainly a large void created by the bay window arrangement.

This may not be helpful long term but I would be very tempted to temporarily place the speakers along a solid wall - I emphasise temporary!! Then check out the manufacturer’s guide on their speaker optimal location - from walls, seating location and between the speakers themselves. Whilst maybe not a permitted location, it would at least allow you to understand what your system is capable off. It may sound how you would want it or it may still sound relatively ‘weedy’ and at least you will have confirmed if an inadequacy exists in your system.

Too many words but the exercise I’m alluding to would take no more than an hour, provided your speaker cable length permits.

If you can’t for whatever reason do this, I would strongly suggest not to take punts on new components until you have had a good opportunity to listen to them in your room before purchase. This could save you a considerable ££ by avoiding components which may not improve your system in your room.

Peter

1 Like

I use Rel subs too but with active speakers, when I turn off the speakers the Rels just make a low rumble noise that couldn’t possible improve the sound but somehow it does and it improves the whole soundstage not just the bass.

Gary

1 Like

Odd isnt it? Mine is the smallest REL so doesn’t kick out the real low frequencies but by fiddling with the crossover point it seems to just be adding a layer of depth and fullness to the whole picture, supplementing a small standmount very well.

Bruce

2 Likes

I’ve tried a sub. It had three settings 34 to 128hz. I tried all three settings, but it never kicked in so no joy there. My Dyno’s roll off at 41hz and my hifi man said I should’t need a sub
Baz

My guess is that your speakers are too small for your room, and you’re also facing suboptimal speaker placement and listening position.

Assuming your chimney is centered in your room, I would start with placing your speakers on each side of the chimney, 3 ft away from the rear wall where the chimney is, and each speaker placed 4.8 ft away from the side wall (Golden ratio: distance from side walls = 1.62* distance from rear wall). It should give you more warmth and it should even bass response in your room. It has worked wonders in my room…

If it’s still not warm enough to your taste, maybe try small floorstanders. Neat sx2 (but maybe slightly too small), Dynaudio Evoke 30 or Sonus Faber Sonetto III come to mind.

2 Likes

Thank you for this Glen. Reorientation of the listening space is a non starter, but I think repositioning of the speakers could bear fruit. I’ve just been reading the on-line user manual for the s40s. They recommend not less than 0.5m from back and side walls, with no upper limit. I can achieve that, but I’m waiting for some new Chord speaker cables, which will give me the flexibility to experiment. They also state 2m as being the optimal speaker separation distance, which I already have.
These speakers have had rave reviews and I doubt that I need bigger cabinets.
Baz

I tend to think the same as said above. The room is too big for these bookshelves.
The consequences are a sound lacking meat on the bones, textures, bass. These later give density and richness to the sound.
Maybe listening much closer, as at the place where sits the table, could give a richer sound.
Or change the speakers for floorstanders.

2 Likes

This is very different from my experience. I have these speakers and listen to them for hours on end. They have a very nice warm but dynamic sound, low natural bass (not artificial/ forced sounding) and very nice detailed highs (helped by the super tweeter), not to mention the mid range which they are famous for. I did find them difficult to position though and initially wasn’t happy but once i got them setup correctly, cant think of what would materially better them, for similar money anyway. Great all rounders, in my view. Maybe you had a setup issue or room placement issues?

The S40s are great speakers and it’s most likely just a bit more power that you need for them. I had them with a 250dr and they had a very warm, rounded organic sound. They are extremely capable speakers and incredible value for money. I don’t think changing speakers will give you a big bang for your buck.like others have said, much better to spend money upstream. I do think that they’re speakers that respond well to power though.

2 Likes

The S40 could be very fine speakers, but the woofer is just 17cm. You need more low end energy to get a richer sound. I would have bought one or two Rel T5 or T7 subwoofers.

A 250dr is £4500
A single Rel T7 is £1000.

Oh, with a room that big, you should try the speakers further out in the room. And listen closer.

The sub most possibly wasn’t in the right place then.

Your dyno’s may go down to 41hz but they are probably not doing that IN YOUR ROOM. You’re going to need to experiment and move them around.

Is that the guy who sold you the system you are unhappy with? Just asking!

Trying different speaker positioning has to be a good idea though. It is free after all.

Bruce

3 Likes

I’ve listened to them I another room with other amps against 40.1 too. Pushy mids and tiring in comparison.

Hi Bruce,
Yes, that’s the guy, so he evidently wasn’t pushing for business!
Baz