RIP Christine McVie

Very sad news…

The real gems of her work are to be found within the forgotten Fleetwood Mac albums: Future Games, Bare Trees, Penguin, Mystery to Me and Heroes Are Hard To Find.

Her compositions on these albums are a thing of beauty equal to her songs on Fleetwood Mac, Rumours and Tusk.

7 Likes

Really sad news, she was a very talented lady whose songs were something rather special. Hard to accept that we will not hear anything more from her.

1 Like

Very sad. One of the bands I regret I never saw. R.I.P Perfect Songbird

3 Likes

Christine McVie…Perfect… she was a great blues singer

4 Likes

Very sad news. I haven’t followed her since Chicken Shack so don’t know the Fleetwood Mac Christine, but I Would Rather Go Blind has always stayed with me…a classic song sung beautifully.

Hope she and Stan are whooping it up…

2 Likes

If not my most played LP Rumours is in the top 5, great memories.

I was staying in a hotel inside Jaisalmer Fort, Rajahstan and playing Rumours quite loud via a Sony Walkman connected to a TV this was pre mp3 players and bluetooth speakers then there was a knock at the door and a lovely couple maybe 10 or 15 years older than me an American and his Spanish wife told me how they’d fallen in love listening to Rumours back in the late 70’s whilst travelling around India and they had come back to celebrate their wedding anniversary.

We all spent a lovely evening together eating and drinking said goodbye and never saw each other again.

5 Likes

Streaming my Hi Res Rumors now. RIP.

3 Likes

Another great and talented artist lost. Her purity of voice and the emotion she managed to convey made her unique. RIP Christine

2 Likes

Very sad news.
Christine was such a talented lady who always seemed to conduct herself with class, grace and with a tremendous strength of character to get through so much turmoil throughout her life.
Rest peacefully Songbird.

3 Likes

I likewise played that cut on vinyl at a reasonably loud volume today.

As everyone else has said, a massive loss to the ‘real’ music world. Been a big fan of FM and all the individual members since first hearing them in 1974. R. I. P.

Such a beautiful song, made me teary eyed.

3 Likes

She was my favorite of all the FM players. She just owned every moment she was in the spotlight. I fell in love with her on a BBC Desert Island Discs podcast in 2017, and love her new reissue “Songbird - A Solo Collection” on Quobuz. Can’t believe the rest of the FM players survive and Christine is gone. RIP for a great lady, and a great musician. And a great leader of Fleetwood Mac. Not forgotten. And not gone. But no longer present as she was.

2 Likes

Very sad. Suspect a lot of Fleetwood Mac streams and downloads across the world in the coming weeks.

1 Like

How terribly sad. I discovered Rumours in the late 80s via a cassette belonging to my stepfather. Only many decades later did I find it had been originally released on my third birthday!

If you can get hold of the Classic Albums documentary on the making of Rumours, I’d strongly recommend it. If you can’t, this page has a lot of the same anecdotes, including the slightly unusual way that Songbird was recorded:

“There were fights, breakups, drinking, drugs” – Fleetwood Mac Rumours track-by-track with co-producer Ken Caillat | MusicRadar

Mark

1 Like
1 Like

Rumours was one the first albums I ever bought on vinyl and was the first CD I ever bought when the CD revolution came around. I saw Fleetwood Mac with Christine McVie and the Birmingham NEC in 2015. Despite being one of the most awful warehouse like venues, it is up there with the greatest gigs I have ever been to. Feeling very emotional this morning. Music gets get you like that. RIP

2 Likes

Sad News.

Love it or hate it Rumours released in the middle of the Punk explosion became one of the most played biggest sellers of all time.

Very pleased I went to see the band some years ago when Christine was back in the fold and they still sounded great.

2 Likes

Some great photos - how poignant is the last one!

5 Likes