RIP Judith Durham

Very sad to report that the Australian “National Treasure”, Judith Durham has passed away.
As lead singer with ‘The Seekers’, Judith seemed to be an ever-present personality on British TV, radio and the pop charts through the 1960’s and into the 70’s. She always came across as a classy, lovely lady with a beaming smile and with a such a beautiful voice.

The Carnival is Over. Rest peacefully Judith.

21 Likes

Rocking rolling riding out along the bay
All bound for Morningtown many miles away

11 Likes

Just a wonderful voice, the Carnival really is over now.

4 Likes

There’s a few great clips on YouTube where we can enjoy the magical performances still, including Georgy Girl from the Myer Music Bowl from 1967, and more recent ones that show the continued power and emotion of that beautiful voice. As I learned of the news just a short while back, this evening, I Am Australian.

4 Likes

I am not Australian but Judith Durham’s appeal spanned continents. The Seekers epitomised popular music in every sense of the word. She will be greatly missed.

3 Likes

Did buy the Seekers Greatest Hits album :cd: the other day. Not the sort of thing one admits to on this forum, but singers like her and Roger Whitaker did produce some very listenable work. Both with distinctive styles.

Very sorry for her family

2 Likes

RIP.A lovely lady and a great voice.

3 Likes

How true they were always like a hidden/guilty pleasure. Don’t think I’ve ever owned up to owing and playing the Seekers greatest hits.

Sadly taken too soon and definitely missed.

4 Likes

I removed my original comment , that having admitted it “I was off to the Naughty Boy’s Step” for having admitted it.

Ian

2 Likes

Why I thought it true, think I’ve just confessed to the same.

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Strange isn’t it? With acts such as The Seekers we can all recognise the musicality of the group and the exceptional beauty of Judith’s voice, and yet people seem to feel a slight embarrassment in admitting to listening to them or owning their records.
Judith was quite lovely in any case, and I must confess to having had a bit of a crush on her for many years. So I’m happy to admit I still like The Seekers and I listen to their greatest hits CD and their old vinyl records from time to time. They (and their music) was NICE! In this age that seems to be regarded as a bad thing, but it really shouldn’t be equated to ‘bland’. ‘Nice’ is good.

4 Likes

I also bought a Roger Whitaker “Greatest Hits” at the same time , for exactly the reasons you set out (except I didn’t have a crush on him)

3 Likes

Roger Whitaker, now you have gone too far. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

My next stop is Glenn Campbell’s greatest hits

2 Likes

I’ve got one of his. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve already got that one. Recommended.

1 Like

Yes, obviously I heard him on radio and TV , then I heard him thru’ a good Naim system he was very good- a huge difference

This is why, when asked what music I like, I struggle to answer as I like everything and nothing. I like “Straight Outta Compton” and I like “Georgie Girl”, but I don’t like everything NWA or the Seekers did. The same can be applied to every artist and every genre of music that I have.

2 Likes

Stunning beautiful voice. Judith had some bad luck in her life never recovered from that bad car smash. RIP Judith

3 Likes