RIP Panasonic Plasma

Your LG does look very nice and is a full edge to edge screen which is why I would be able to go up to a 50 inch set, my now dead Panasonic was a 42 inch model but with about an inch and a half surround and a bit wider at the bottom

LG OLED 55-65, great TVā€™s have bought two, technology and screens are top notch, check out Which TV reviews, good info.

3 Likes

Made in Bradford !

1 Like

Since you asked, Ā£303 in 1970 would be the princely sum of Ā£4,722.41 today. Probably even more once you factor in all the covid-related inflation this year.

Itā€™s still a lot of money for a size of TV that today would be practically classed as portable.

In answer to the OP, Iā€™ve been extremely happy with my Sony KD49XH9505 which is well within your budget. Lots of 4K fun.

Mark

OLED is an excellent but relatively new technology and remains relatively expensive. I think there are only two OLED models on the market in the UK with screen sizes below 50 inches, one is LG and the other Sony (both 48 inch). Both have had excellent reviews in recent weeks (see What HiFi website for example). The Sony comes out best but it is more expensive, although prices will likely fall in coming weeks/months.

SWMBOā€™s 42ā€ Panasonic Plasma 3D died a few months ago. Took it to a local repair man who said it wasnā€™t economically repairable, so I took her to the local Currys and she picked a 49ā€ (I think) Samsung QLED TV and is very happy with it.

Iā€™m still watching my choice of programs in my my man-cave using a 40ā€ Sony set. Had it for along time an d have no ambitions to replace it until it eventually dies.

This happened to us, although we did have insurance and so a very costly repair was undertaken and fortunately a wait of only two weeksā€¦ I think the PSU modules on those Panasonic plasmas must work hard.
However after the repair we decided to sell the TV on ā€¦ we bought an LG OLED smart TVā€¦ it was a TV and technology that surpassed the colour gamut and dynamic range of the Panasonic Plasma, and provided a useful increase in pixel resolution tooā€¦ the LG is probably the best TV we have ever owned.
We had both TVs calibrated, which I really recommend if you are a film viewer lover. The LG is 12 bit colour supporting high definition colour space decoding and has good decoders of HDR and Dolby Vision. We turn all processing off for best most life like picture rendition.

1 Like

I would love to go the OLED route but as you say there are only two manufacturers that produce sets at about 50 inch and while the LG and Sony models do get excellent reviews I donā€™t think I can stretch to the Ā£1500 for the LG or the Ā£1700 for the Sony so a high end LED set will probably be the way forward

We have a Sony 49XG9005, last years version of this years 49XH9505.

It doesnā€™t have Apple TV built in, but does have all normal catch ups, plus Netflix and Prime. Itā€™s 4K and with a little setting up, produces brilliant images.

Iā€™d say that out of the 6 flat screens weā€™ve owned over the years (inc 1 Panasonic plasma) itā€™s the best.

Sound is a bit poor but I link it to my Unitilite and Linn 109s and it sounds good.

Itā€™s black friday in 2ish weeks, TVā€™s will be at their absolute lowest prices then. You might be able to get one of those OLEDs for near to your Ā£1k budget. If not a very good LED screen could be had for Ā£700.

1 Like

Havenā€™t looked in much detail but John Lewis offering LG OLED 55 inch for Ā£1098, may be better deals around. Beyond Television a bit cheaper at Ā£999, some decent bargains out there, especially for last years model.

Was just going to say the same.

Wasnā€™t aware of this, old article I think but explains it well.

I assumed inserting black frames would ā€˜dimā€™ the image, this seems to suggest it does but perhaps not too important.

1 Like

No motion blur with LG OLED technology, far from it, razor sharp even through high speed rapid changes, and gone are the green shadows from the older plasma tech with rapid high contrast transitions ā€¦ great for gaming because of thisā€¦ ā€¦ but yes LCDs can smear and blur horribly.
BTW switch off motion smoothingā€¦ it can look ghastlyā€¦ motion should be gated at the refresh rate in my opinion for authentic feel.

OLED will be a must when I get my next TV assuming it hasnā€™t been surpassed. The LG panels are sublime.

Entirely agree with your earlier comments on disabling processing.

Iā€™m extremely sensitive to video interpolation frame rate wise and simply cannot abide to watch 24 fps film material interpolated to 60/120 fps etc, just looks unnatural to me but I guess that may change as technology gets better.

Indeedā€¦ I edited my post aboveā€¦ disable motion smoothingā€¦ and let motion be gated at the refresh rateā€¦ far easier on the brainā€¦or that is what I am conditioned to see with films and original crt technology.

2 Likes

Motion smoothing (and high native frame rates) can make fiction terrible to watch. The paradox is that it actually makes it look ā€œtoo realā€ and the suspension of disbelief is breached. High native frame rates can be OK on documentaries and such.

2 Likes

You could. Or rather, I could too.

1 Like

Agree entirely Simon re input Refresh rate sync but I havenā€™t found that setting yet , I havenā€™t looked too hard tbh but the BFI kind of mimics this it seems . I usually have ( with Plasma) everything motion related turned off and match refresh rates with great results. Iā€™d appreciate any tips in finding that setting.

Peter .

What does this entail?

.sjb