RIP Panasonic Plasma

Hi, there is no setting, it’s part of the TVs core design.

Contact a professional TV/monitor calibrater. They use a spectrometer on the screen (and different parts of the screen) and adjust settings including grey scale, colour densities and gamma amongst others to the specific modes of operation (video encoding formats) using calibrated control signals. It usually takes a couple of hours… as there is some iteration and finding best matches/compromise settings, depending on the degree of granularity of the TV. My LG model gives you a fair amount of control on the ‘User’ modes of operation.

3 Likes

My gut feeling was that was the case , mine has a variable refresh rate which I assume locks on to the incoming signal when engaged or possibly it’s the default setting. I’ll look into this more . I watched 20 minutes of the football last night with the OLED motion pro ( BFI) set at Auto and the motion overall was very good indeed . I didn’t notice any drop in picture quality either . I’m waiting for a Sky Q Ultra HD box to be fitted which will no doubt outperform my 10 year old Sky HD box on every level .

Interestingly when I watch local content on Netflix or Prime some picture settings are preset by the provider and vary by the programme. In fact some of these new settings especially in the motion realm cannot be altered .

I’ll keep researching and playing around but I am very impressed with the LG OLED so far .

1 Like

Ok - on my LG model I can adjust the inbuilt Netflix and Amazon image and processing settings on my LG - although they are the same groups settings for the internal smart TV application channels. So, yes as always motion processing off!! Its nasty nasty nasty… :slight_smile:

The TV will detect the encoding optimisation format - and will assign the appropriate decoder such as HD, HDR, Dolby Vision etc - my model pops up for a couple of seconds a message on the top right of the screen to say which decoder has been selected by the TV.
Netflix for example uses several formats across its catalogue including HD, HDR and Dolby Vision.
Dolby Vision is very impressive for dynamic range management and allowing the MP2 material to retain detail in very low low luminosity material… on a large screen this makes a massive difference… more cinema like

1 Like

I have LG OLED’s at home and can’t fault them for picture quality and features. We also have a range of TV’s at work for reference used in interop testing and video quality comparisons and I tend to find the LG OLED’s do the best job overall. Their WebOS is stable and well featured as well. I use the built in apps primarily as well as a DVB-S input for live TV.

2 Likes

Yes I use the DVB (user) as one of my calibrated channels. This is set as a common profile to all my HDMI inputs. Agree the WebOS works well.

I have a 49" LG Smart TV 2 years old, generally excellent VFM .

The picture quality is very good, FreeSat & SmartTV apps are supported well, and no lip-synch issues into my TT2 DAC using Toslink, BUT…

I have had to replace the network card already because the ethernet link and the bluetooth remote kept dropping and eventually stopped working. The replacement card also frequently loses the bluetooth connection with the remote. Using your favourite search engine reveals this is quite a common problem and LG do not provide good support.

I would buy again if it wasn’t for this.

I’m going to find a way to negate the Netflix presets . It’s hidden deep in the Settings somewhere… One thing I have noticed with Netflix presets is the OLED Light is set very high , usually 90-100 . I’m with you on motion settings , always leave them off but BFI proving interesting for now .

There’s a what I think is a new option called ‘Real Cinema’ . This apparently converts 24 FPS to 120hz by playing each frame 5 times . I can’t comment on its effectiveness but this option is usually locked on with Netflix and Prime . I have it switched off as my default.

I am considering calibration once my Sky Q is here and things have settled down . Have to say though , some of the 4K content is just stunning on picture settings I’ve picked up from the web .

Indeed… BTW as in audio, a good video often looks impressive and realistic without it needing to look stunning.
Some of the stunning presentation modes are sometimes referred to as Display Room modes… to grab your attention, at the expense of accurate portrayal.
When accurately rendered without auto balancing and colour, then you can pick up far more the colour temperature used in different films to portray a feel and emotion, or even to exaggerate slightly tongue in cheek in some films between locations. Like rainy London with a deliberate blue hue, compared to sunny Florida with a greater red balance… but you need your TV optimally set and fixed to appreciate these aspects of cinematography.

1 Like

I wish rainy London had some Blue hue today … that’s for sure .

I used the calibration discs that came with my Oppo 83.

If it’s a calibrated DVD/Blu-ray player and spectrometer you are using, you can indeed do yourself.
However the outlay is quite significant, so if only doing every time you buy a major TV I find it easier and hugely more cost effective to hire a calibrater.

I have calibrated my film scanners, printers and iMac screen using my own calibrated targets and spectrometer … and that was sufficiently expensive enough… but I calibrate them more regularly.

We’ve had a couple of Panasonic plasmas I was very happy with, first 42” then additional 50” with freesat.

For a while mire recently we had an LG 32” smart TV in the small lounge, tge 50” in big lounge. Two things I disliked about tge LG: firstly they lied about the thickness (not mentioning that at the bottom it sticks out about 2 or 3 cm more at the back + their specs only quoted the panel thickness above that) and secondly aftef only about a year the. ‘Smart’ apps one by one ceased to be available any more.

The 50” plasma has taken its place, with smart box attached (but not using freesat as I haven’t got around to installing a dish in tgd present house). A bit on the bulky side for the room, one day we’ll replace with a slim frame thin panel, probably OLED, but only when the pkasma dies (which experiences cited in this thread suggest might not be that much longer, now being about 11 years old).

Otherwise for movies we now use a projector, liking a truly big screen (12 ft wide: equivalent to a 165” 16:9 screen) viewed from about 11ft distance. Only HD, and not a particularly expensive model, it is still fully immersive and a true home cinema experience compared to TV (at least any TV I have seen or could afford!)

Though even if not calibrated, simply adjusting by eye to natural saturation and skin tones compared to people in the room makes TVs so much more pleasant to watch.

We have 2 Panny Plasmas. A 37" that is 12 years old and a 50" at around 9 years old.
Both still going strong (touch wood!!) I used the Spears and Munsil Blu-ray calibration disc, this had an amazing result on the pitcture quality. It takes time and is best done in your normal viewing conditions, with all extra processing turned off. This disc also lets you know how good your player is too, as it has to handle all the graduations in colour and contrast etc.

Before 1st lock down my Sister in law asked if the 50" was a new type of 3D screen where you don’t need glasses, because to her the picture was so real.

I have Sky Q, It’s brilliant, so a new telly is on the horizon. I see Panasonic have some well regarded OLED sets around now, I am not sure whose panal they use, but I do know they will spend the time to get the best out of it. So maybe before Christams I’ll take the plunge and go 4K.

1 Like

Ok guys thanks for the advise/insight and after much deliberation I think I have narrowed the short list down to two.
Either a Sony Bravia KD49XH9505 at £849 or a Samsung QE49Q85T at £899, the Samsung Q85T range is exclusive to Curry’s PC World and seems to come with more knobs and whistles than the Sony but as such has not been independently reviewed although other models in the range below seem to be well received.
The Sony on the other hand has been well reviewed independently and always seems to come out on top.
My problem now is that I am reluctant take the plunge and spend this sort of money without seeing them physically and asking a few comparison questions first hand which in the current climate could be a few weeks off at best!!

FWIW I’ve owned 3x Sony TVs including last yrs version of the one you are considering and I’ve been very happy with all of them. I had a top of the range 4k Samsung and didn’t particularly like it. I also have a 2 yr old LG OLED and that is fantastic.

And you could often change the channel by tearing a sheet of paper :wink:

Clanging coins together used to work!

Indeed… sure