RIP Panasonic Plasma

There are some caveats with most tvs like the latest samsung qled can have washed out colours in games mode. Also samsung do not have official hdr or hdr 10+ they supposedly do their own internal hdr which doesn’t match the official hdr one. And the blacks on some models can look like dark grey and not true black which is a general fault on nearly every lcd tv. FALD tv get around this to some extent but will never match the inky black contrast of an oled. Do your research before you buy and buy for your best case scenario ie the optimum use you’ll use it for such as dark room viewing or gaming or maybe daytime viewing with the curtains open in direct sunlight. FOMO on tech is a good ytuber explaining the many caveats of certain tvs just as hdtv test is as well.
If you’re a gamer hdmi 2.1 would be essential especially if purchasing a ps5 or series x console. It can be a real minefield out there as most tvs are definately not the same and so to choose wisely with research and patience.

I’m now about 6 weeks into life with the LG CX48 OLED and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve finally quit faffing with any motion settings and they are all OFF as ever . The motion settings are good and no doubt sometime in the future some manufacturer will master them but not quite yet . Above all the picture quality is superb especially when you find a good 4K signal and the smart features are excellent. The jump from 42 to 48 is perfect , not too much nor too little . This model is selling like hot cakes and for good reason . I’ve pasted a link below with some good info and the best picture settings I’ve found on the web so far .

tftcentral.co.uk

LG CX OLED Review - TFT Central

I’m afraid I couldn’t stretch to the LG OLED but it does seem to be well reviewed I have however plumped for the Sony KD 49XH505 and a new Sony sound bar to go with it and I’m a very happy bunny.
A standard hi def 1080p signal looks pretty good and feed it a 4K signal from say Netflix and wow I thought the old Panasonic would take some beating but this set tops it and then some.

I bought an LG CX 55 in 2018, and shortly after i bought a 4K laser beamer. When i realised 6 months later that i hadn’t turned on the LG once since i got the beamer, i unplugged it and sold it to a friend…

I haven’t had any regrets getting rid of the LG, but apart from that it’s a really great TV. Wonderful image out of the box, even better with a bit of calibration. Highly recommended.

Which projector did you get? I’m still stunned by an old cheapie 1080p BenQ, but suspect laser is the way to go in the future.

1 Like

I decided to take a risk and bought a Xiaomi Mijia UST directly from China. UST stands for ultra short throw, which means you place it directly in front of the screen and it beams upwards with a wide angle. I’ve had it for about a year now and it has been really great, especially for the price (i paid $1650 including shipping). It did come with a 2 year European service warranty.

Laser has “OLED-like” qualities including very good contrast and vibrant colors, i think it’s one the purchases i’ve been the most happy with the last few years.

1 Like

Can’t go far wrong with Panasonic or Sony at present.

I’m not sure that’s a widely-shared opinion Mike. The people I know in the broadcasting research business (who are the nerd’s nerd when it comes to actual picture quality) say that both Sony and Panasonic have gone off some time ago and that LG is by far best, with Samsung second best.

Best

David

1 Like

The only company that produces commercial OLED TV panels is LG.
It’s kinda up to all the Tv manufacturers how they incorporate the displays and what they wish to do with them using their inbuilt processors.
I’ve got the Panasonic TX65HZ2000B. I wanted it as it has the upgraded panel and less likely to have screen burn!

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying @davidhendon but I remain unconvinced. The Samsung OS is not great and there are ongoing security concerns. Their picture quality is also remarkably variable. The best are superb but there are really poor ones at all their price points.

Panasonic picked up Pioneer engineers and had a purple patch for a few years after Pioneer pulled out. Then they slumped badly and LG made huge progress. LG are very good. Similarly, Sony after years of consistently excellent sets (arguably their only consistent product line for many years) plummeted badly. They have recovered well these past two years and are now beginning to get consistency once again.

Yes LG have come from nowhere and in the past 5 years become the best TV manufacturer. 2015 was the crunch year and 2016 sealed it. Panasonic lost it years ago and Sony even earlier.

My month old Samsung 55 LED has now developed streaks on the screen. On a white image a faint rainbow like line come across diagonally.
Have tried a few screen burn test runs. Guesss I’ll speak to the dealer in the new year to sort out hopefully a new one.

I bought a Sony 4905 this year too, @Hanumike, and I’ve been very happy with it too.

Can I ask what you’ve done with it in terms of picture settings? I’ve used my trusty Spears & Munsil disc and got it looking good, but there are many more tweakable parameters than I’ve been used to on previous sets and I ended up in a bit of a ‘I could spend the rest of my life tweaking this back and forth, it’s time to watch a film’ state of mind and left it at the (admittedly fine) picture I’d got to by that stage.

I’m wondering whether a professional calibration would be worth the several hundred quid it would cost to make the picture into someone else’s problem.

Mark

They say there are 3 types of viewer.

1. Happy with it straight out the box
  2. Happy to set it how they think looks good.
  3. Happy to get it looking “True to life” as possible.
    A bit like hifi perhaps.

As a bit of a modern TV Luddite @Ebor I must admit that I find the range of adjustments available on the Sony a bit bewildering and I am currently watching it on the out the box settings which still look pretty good to my eyes.
I have however signed up to the AVForums XH505 owners forum and noted a number of posts regarding settings and the ratings website also has a section on settings under it’s review of the TV and I intend to have a bit of a play over the Xmas shut down.
I have only just realised (thanks to AVForums) that each of the hdmi inputs can be tweaked independently dependant on the source which adds another degree of complexity to the process as for professional calibration I don’t think I can justify another £250 on top of the purchase price no matter how good a picture it achieves.

My recently bought 43” Samsung TV (QLED) has a “normal” mode which is bright and rather heavily saturated. I changed that to “natural” when I got it and haven’t changed it since. It’s still quite heavily saturated but it’s OK.

I’m lucky enough to still have a Panasonic plasma (VT50, 2012 vintage) performing perfectly. I use the picture presets contained in the menu which work perfectly for me. I think, as with hifi, it’s very easy to over complicate everything in the search for ‘so called’ perfection!

Similar picture here (apologies for the pun) with my long-in-the -tooth Pioneer Kuro. It’s the 50" (or so) model that came with a separate monitor and tune box.

The picture quality is excellent.

I hesitate to mention mine in case something goes wrong.

2 Likes

Please don’t Mike !

You might have to move your “End of my tether” thread over to here !! :sunglasses: