RME V Chord Qutest

Yes, just go to settings/choose server integration on the Innuos and enable Roon experimental mode.

That’s what I thought. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @mikehughescq I see that you are using a ‘Zenith’, can you say what the Zenith does in the chain? I am looking for a streamer to go with my RME DAC

Well early days for it in its new home but I’ve heard it in four demos now. Zenith as server into NDX2 twice at different sites. First time with my amplification abd secund with a Supernait 3. Then Zenith as streamer/server into Qutest and then into the Hugo 2 TT.

First demo also used a Zen mini so there was an opportunity to hear any difference as a server. I wasn’t expecting any. The difference was, for my family, noticeable. We’d all describe it in different ways but once heard we all agreed the Zenith even as a server improved the NDX2. All the usual areas. Bass more defined; instruments more natural blah blah blah.

Adding the Qutest into the chain produced a sound signature arguably more Naim than Naim. Better PRaT than the NDX2 but, for us, a little too much in our faces. The Hugo 2 TT was a whole different ball game. Not as immediately impressive as with the Qutest but very natural.

Having worked through those scenarios we concluded that the streamer element of the Zenith did all the NDX2 did albeit minus a screen and some user friendliness. However, it’s worth noting that Tidal and Zenith won’t work without a hi-fi sub and is a bit of a kludge albeit that Tidal Connect is coming.

The server element I would say is superb. It simply gives you what is there. Very natural and very relaxed. Timbre and sound stage are especially strong. Sound stage was never a big deal for me but having heard it this big and natural it’s a thing I am rapidly learning to love when it’s there. The big gain for me has been vocals abs especially lyrics. My tinnitus since lock down, and too many virtual meetings in a study shared with Mrs. H. and the 15 year old, has deteriorated with headphone use. Now some of this may be the DAC but I suspect the Innuos is making a big contribution as vocals with the NDX2 were also clearer and more natural. I’ve never been able to pick out lyrics so clearly in years and the quality of vocals is superb. I find myself lost in music late at night when I’m not even a week in and fully burned in.

Above all else I think the Innuos is neutral but gives you everything your music and your DAC has. If you like the RME now then you will likely like it even more with the Zenith. If there’s some element of the RME you’re not 100% on and it’s been nagging away then the Zenith will likely not hide it.

Thanks Mike that’s a detailed view on what the Zenith does for your sound, so if I have got this right, it’s able to replace a generic NAS to store ripped music, allowing a dedicated streamer such as the NDX2 to play over its network connection.

What I am less sure of is how it works directly into a DAC such as your Hugo2, it sounds like the Zenith is able to act as a server and a streamer linking to the DAC via SPIDIF or USB and the Zenith has its own dedicated user interface. Have I understood this correctly?

I have checked their web site but found it assumed you knew what they were selling rather than explaining what their products could do.

If it can work as a streamer can I ask how does the user interface compare with the Naim app?

I’m off to YouTube now to see if they can shed some light on the Zenith product range!

Their web site is going to get a revamp. At present it isn’t great and they’re quite up front about it.

So, yes, you’re right. You can use the NDX2 as the streamer and just use the Zenith to store ripped music from CD, NAS, USB etc.

You can also, as I am, use the Zenith as both streamer and server. It links to the DAC via USB.

The big differences between the Naim and Zenith as streamers are that the Naim has wi-fi whereas the Zenith is ethernet only, and, Naim has the one app of their own whereas Zenith users are reliant on using MyInnuos.com for ripping and setup and a 3rd party app for browsing/playing. They recommend iPeng, which I’m currently trying. It does the job but is nothing special. There are other options. Their own app is due in about 2 months and by all accounts it allegedly has Roon like levels of integration.

I think the Naim app is okay but nothing special. I emailed to ask to become a beta tester back in mid October. Heard nothing.

The 15 year old uses it for his QB and accesses Tidal and the Zenith relatively painlessly. However, it’s worth emphasising that MyInnuos, which is just a web site, is superb. It’s logical, accessible and, like the Zenith itself, it just works. I love it and that’s something I rarely say. If their new app in any way reflects the quality of MyInnuos then there is much to look forward to.

I’ve gotten round the lack of wi-fi by initially using a cheap wireless bridge.

If you have already the Ndx2, I would recommend Melco servers, which have a dedicated and isolated Ethernet connection with the streamers.
A lot here with Nd555 use Melco with their Naim streamer, because of a great synergy.
I use mine Melco n1z2 with Nds, which uplifted very clearly and nicely my Nds.
Innuos is of course well to consider too.

The Melco is interesting. I didn’t there would be much between them and Innuos but it’s a very different presentation.

It does the same as Innuos, but has not inbuilt ripper. It’s a streamer, Nas, server, with 2 Ethernet imputs.
We use it as audiophile Nas only ( we as Nd555, Nds users here).
So having both Innuos and Melco is probably too much. But all is possible…
It has also a screen, which makes it nice to my eyes.

Thank you Mike, your explanation is perfect.

I agree with you, the Naim app is ok, but no better and it is the reference point by which I judge others!

It seems these companies are good at getting hardware off the ground and yet the user interface is so often lacking and for me feels like an afterthought.

It is interesting, I did start out ripping my CD collection, then streaming from a NAS,but since subscribing toTidal HiFi I rarely use the NAS, in fact it hasn’t been switched on for months!

I think a Melco would be wasted on me, but a nice streamer, well I could do with one of those. :0)

If Tidal was sounding as good as streaming from Melco with the Nds, I would stream Tidal instead, save money on downloads, and some space.
But the difference, for me at least, is very significant unfortunately.

Hi all
I had NDX with 555ps and the unity serve
Following long term home demo
I went for Innuos Zenith with a chord Dac
Zenith used as a streamer / ripper
Using USB into Chord Dac
For me in my system and my room it was a completely different positive level
More musical and natural sounding with more detail and very enjoyable.

For me no need of a dedicated Naim ND
What for?
And I am rid of the Horrible Naim app

Using iPeng at the moment until Innuos brings out their app- probably early 2021

NDX / 555ps and Unity serve
All sold

For me one of the best things I did👍

4 Likes

It is interesting isn’t it? I’ve been very cautious to not fall into the predictable language of stuff being a “whole new level” as our ears and desires are all different but…

I have tried a fair few up grade combinations over the last couple of years and yet I have found none which I would describe as a big jump. At one point I had a greater value of kit on lone than my system is worth in total.

I am grateful to my local dealer and friends for allowing me to try these combinations out at home and in my system.

Right now I am looking for a new streamer, I don’t expect ‘whole new level’ like changes, but a better user interface would be nice and the ability to use WiFi as a means to connect to my network would be a pleasant flexibility which I don’t currently have.

The RME allows USB connection so the Zenith is a possible option, just one thing which I have yet to establish from this thread, which Zenith model are we talking about? There are a few on their web site.

The RME deserves a Zenith.

1 Like

What are you using currently for your RME?

Hi @Naim_The_Dragon I am currently using my Naim SuperUniti. And I really have no idea if any of the newer offering would sound any better feeding my RME.

I would like the option to use Roon, but I would settle for something a little slicker than the Naim app and the option to use Qobuz. Something like the native Tidal site would be fine. Perhaps I need a dedicated audio PC!

I you don’t store downloads, don’t rip cds, why buy an Innuos ? It’s a bit waste of money.
A streamer only is what you need, with usb or spdif connection to a dac.
DCS bridge or less expensive like Auralic or Lumiin transport come to mind.
The Mosaic app of the DCS is very good. And Roon Ready.

Oh but I do rip and store music from CDs,I just don’t access it very often, and I didn’t suggest an Innuos, I had to ask what one was a just a few posts back.

If the Innous does the job with a great user interface I will be interested in giving it a go.

I have tried a DCS network bridge in my system, with Chord, SU and metrum DACs, but at the time the DCS didn’t make a significant SQ difference, if any, to my ears. Some might say that my system isn’t resolving enough and others will tell you source first, but we can’t have it both ways can we? At the time I was told the standard DCS user interface wasn’t all that great and I only tried it using a temporary loaned Roon licence. (A friends unit).

As I have said, for me it’s mainly about the user interface.

1 Like