RME V Chord Qutest

Ah ok, didn’t know you have tried the DCS already. I thought it’s what is one of the best actually, but only by reviews. Have not tried it personally.
Some here use Auralic transport with Chord dacs.
But if you rip sometimes cds and want to store them, Innuos is probably the best solution.

My wife insists on playing CDs in her car, so we have to buy them from time to time. I dutifully rip them and save them to my NAS, but they don’t get much play at home where we listen almost exclusively to Tidal Streams.

I have tried an NDX2, it’s a nice little lift from the SU, but not £5k worth in my household priorities as I have limited resources. So my gains are sought where ever possible and at the lowest cost I can.

Why not keep the Superuniti and buy the best dac you can. The SU has a digital out ?

Not exactly, but I’ve had a 2Qute, Hugo 2, and now the RME. I couldn’t hear much difference between the latter two, so I would advise you to buy based on features, looks, and price.

1 Like

It has been my experience that the SQ between competent DACs is small.

Same here! My Hugo 2’s power supply died, so I ordered a Topping D10 to tide me over while the Hugo was being repaired. Imagine my surprise when I didn’t miss the Hugo at all!

I still have the D10 and would have just continued using it, but the RME came out and it’s such a well-engineered piece that I had to have it…

1 Like

My understanding has always been that the dac is the most important part. But it’s a general point of view.
Don’t know what is the best solution for you.

Indeed, that’s why I bought the RME ADI-2, it’s SQ is excellent, but it’s feature set is exceptional. I use the EQ all of the time.

I would just like to move up from the Naim streamer app of the SU. The Tidal app running on a PC would be good,but without the PC. :0)

1 Like

Ho Ho Ho!

:santa:

.sjb

2 Likes

I am using an Allo USBridge Sigature (plus Nirvana power supply) as Roon endpoint into my Hugo 2 — quite happy with that set-up.

If you prefer BNC, the USBridge can take a Digione Signature hat, and that is what @suzywong uses happily into their Naim DAC, if I am not mistaken.

Obviously there are “posher” solutions, but Allo products are well regarded, and offer good value for money, I think.

Another VFM solution is SOTM’s sMS 200 (standard version). Ed Selley reviewed quite a few streamers, but bought the SOTM for his own systems. Sadly, it’s the wrong colour for a Naim system… :wink:

2 Likes

Denafrips dacs have very good reviews and feedbacks actually. Can be an alternative to RME or Chord.

1 Like

2 years ago I was hesitating between both, but finally choosed Melco because I use an Nds. I feel that Melco has an advantage in Ethernet connection, with a direct isolated network imput.
I can’t be 100% sure on that, but here on the forum, most Nd555 or Rossini users choosed Melco instead of Innuos.
In usb connection, with a separate dac, Innuos seems to be preferred.

Depends what you’ve heard I guess. I’d not make generalisations based on forum posts as people only tend to post when they need help. Many happy users of both Melco and Innuos are likely nowhere near this forum.

Not sure I agree re: the differences between DACs. With the Innuos as the common feature my recent demo of NDX2, Qutest and then Hugo 2 TT showed easily discernible differences identifiable by both myself, my wife and son albeit that we’d describe them in different language.

Indeed, I’ve always read that a DAC would make a big difference in SQ, but have been listening to the Chord Qutest this week and I can’t tell the difference between it and the DAC in the SuperUniti. After a week listening back and forth, I don’t know what the deal is. When I switched from Tidal streaming via the SuperUniti and using BubbleUPnp I noticed an immediate improvement, so it can’t be my ears :grin:

What i can say is just see what people are using here on the forum with their Nd555 and Rossini. It’s Melco.
I am not saying that Melco is better however, but mostly used with Naim streamers in Ethernet mode.

Maybe give a Roon server (start with it on any PC and consider moving to a NUC with Rock as an appliance) plus a Raspberry Pi4 running RoPieee as the endpoint into your RME. Works well for me, via USB with no hats… but the world is your oyster for upgrades. You could do the free demo with minimal cash investment (just the Pi) and see how you go… Lots of benefits beyond the Tidal (and AirPlay, etc if you install RoPieeXL) connectivity longer term if you like the Roon interface - including Quobuz, local streaming, auto-ripping, etc.

Good luck exploring stuff and taking time to decide!

Regards alan

John Darko has today posted his review of the RME on his YouTube channel. He of course compares it to the Qutest.

It’s fair to say he does enjoy the RME (& the Chord).

1 Like

I was going to start a new thread, but wondering about replacing my UQ1 with an RME. It would be fed by a microRendu 1.4 for the streaming part and act as a pre for a NAP 110. The UQ sounds pretty great with the 110 (and Ls50’s) but the screen is almost dead and figuring the DAC could be bettered. Any thoughts?

It’s great that you like your UQ1, it is one of the chord DACs that I haven’t tried, I think it is similar to the original Hugo 1 which I did like, but in my search for a portable DAC I bought the Mojo instead.

For me the advantage of the RME is the array of functions the RME has and I have found that it drives my nap very well indeed.

I am currently trying a Bluesound Node 2i as a source, into my RME feeding my NAP300 DR directly using the RME volume control.
I like the BlueOS app but I have it mainly to access Tidal Connect as I find the ‘Native’ Tidal app. nicer and more comprehensive in use than either the Naim or the Bluesound apps.

The plan was always to move the Node 2i and RME upstairs to work with my office active monitors, but so far it has stuck in the living room in the main system. In fact, for the first time since I bought it my SuperUniti is sitting in a box under the bed.

2 Likes