Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

Just listening to this SACD remastered album and I love it, love it, love it!

I’m embarrassed to admit it’s the first “Stones” material I have/own :see_no_evil:

So, calling out to all ya Rolling Stones fans, if I’m loving this album, what should I be looking to get next?

Thanks in advance

5 Likes

Indeed, it is a great album, and the DSD reissue was really good.

Next you could try Aftermath and Beggar’s Banquet. Then Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers.

8 Likes

@Richard.Dane , many thanks

Or, a sample menu.

2 Likes

My favourite is Sticky Fingers. Next is a compilation album - in that respect it is not really like the discrete albums, though to me it is, I guess because it was the first Stones album I heard, way back in about 1968 or 1969: Through the past, darkly.

If you just want to hear the Stones, rather than experience albums, there’s a mammoth compilation called Grrr with 50 tracks.

5 Likes

I second both Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers.

3 Likes

Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out

4 Likes

I agree with recommendations of Beggars Banquet, Sticky fingers. Exile on Main Street is also very good. One latter day 70’s album worth trying is Some girls.

3 Likes

Many thanks for all of your recommendations.

I have ordered the remastered SACD versions of:

Beggars Banquet
Aftermath
Out of Our Heads

The others will probably follow :+1:

Didn’t realise Ronnie Wood joined later. Thought I was going mad reading the liner notes and couldn’t see him mentioned. :joy:

1 Like

You can’t always get what you want?

1 Like

Ha ha, great track on Let It Bleed. I was surprised how many tracks I was actually familiar with.

I listened to it 4 times yesterday!

2 Likes

Being more of a classical music fan - but one who dips his toe into everything else - You can’t always get what you want - stood out for me since it has that choir and a nice french horn solo.

It gets a spin here now and then. I only have Let it Bleed and Goatshead Soup.

Nice fridayafternoon work slowdown music I’d say.

1 Like

Big classical music fan here too. Probably 1/3 of my library belongs to classical. :musical_score: :grin:

1 Like

‘Stripped’ and ‘Blue and Lonesome’ are a good later supplement to the earlier classics mentioned.

I also have grown fond of ‘Bridges to Buenos Aires’ as a good late live album, nicely recorded. It’s no ‘Leeds Lungs Out’, but a great ‘greatest hits live’ set.

G

2 Likes

One thing to be aware - recent masterings of the albums on The Rolling Stones label, going back to Sticky Fingers, are often dreadful. Check the DR Wars database.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up!

The ones I have ordered are on the “ ABKCO Music And Records, Inc” label as you probably know.

Let it Bleed is phenomenal. I just played the CD layer ripped to WAV on my main system. Wow! The guitars, drums and vocal are fantastic. You would think it’s a HD recording.

I’m praying the other ABKCO albums are just as good.

1 Like

Just about to post about later editions of the albums released on Rolling Stones Records, but
@jegreenwood has beaten me to it. If you wish to try the albums Sticky Fingers through to A Bigger Bang try and source those distributed by either CBS and Virgin. Essentially avoid anything with a Polydor label imho, they are the dirrect opposite of what you are enjoying with the sacds.

4 Likes

For the Live experience … incl visuals … how about “Totally Stripped” - a 4-disc Blu-Ray set (also on DVD I believe) … output channelled through your Naim system natch … these are 3 x “Back To Basics” concerts performed at Amsterdam, Paris, and London … the Amsterdam stage version of Gimme Shelter is utterly, utterly, utterly … sensational! Disc 4 is a standard audio-only CD with highlights from the 3 concerts … (But … don’t ignore “Ya-Ya’s” … it’s one of the best live albums of all time, great sound and performances).

3 Likes

This is great.

The depth of knowledge displayed here is awesome. I knew I’d be in safe hands.

Many thanks folks.

2 Likes

Beggars Banquet
Sticky Fingers

1 Like