Roon 1.7 and Roon live radio released

I have been noticing for the past week or so, that the Roon Radio feature was working very well for me, providing music in the background that is compelling enough that I get up from my work desk to see what is playing. According to Roon announcement, they have much improved the radio function in 1.7 calling that update “Valence” and more importantly, been testing it with 1.6. So I suspect strongly that I was getting the benefit of the “Valence Roon Radio”. I must say that for me, its really working. Its a big upgrade. If I start with an MQA classical album, it seems to only seek out MQA classical all day long. If I start with an MQA Country album, it does the same. And yes, to my ears, MQA is a big upgrade over Hi Rez. For those that prefer Hi Rez, I think it will give you only that.
Thank you Roon.

1 Like

I doubt that Meridian, you invented the MQA process, would produce a dac which is better on hires vs mqa, specially the top Meridian dac you have.
I don’t know however if other MQA dacs are also better sounding on mqa files vs hirez.

Hello FR–yes that is a good point. Some day I might demo an M scaler and DAVE and compare. Right now the audio fund is depleted. So as an old boss once told me: “If you can’t stand the answer, don’t ask the question?” I am happy where I am, and in theory, mqa should be better based on the papers I have read describing the options. It might be different for different ears, rooms or equipment or even IC’s as we are seeing on the other topic. In fact, I am about the order BJC to install the EtherREGEN, which should be here soon.

It will be interesting to know how you compare it to the 2960. :sunglasses:

Martin Smith of Audiostore was extolling it’s virtues this week. His stock has sold out, none available until late December. I look forward to your feedback.

Roon 1.7 server software now loaded up on the Prestige 3, with 1.7 Control app on the ipad.
No idea how the server software updated itself from 1.6 to 1.7, as I’m pretty sure that I didn’t manage to do it manually despite several efforts to do so.

Anyway, initial impressions are a big thumbs up :+1: If anything, sound quality has improved a bit, though I could just be convincing myself of course.

Roon Radio has definitely homed in on my preferred music styles more accurately, while still bringing new music for us to hear, so whatever big data analytics it is doing behind the scenes seem to work well.

Meta data seems more complete and accurate too. All the artists in the index now appear to have the same or better pictures, with no more grey/blanked out images.

So far, so good.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

I was pleased too that my Prestige black box updated itself yesterday. But I still have to reboot it from time to time when an album won’t play.

Have they restored tha ability to view Qobuz purchases/favourites not in your library?

İt suggested Me Celin Dion!!

Over my dead body

4 Likes

Although I normally love Roon (but reverted via Time Machine to the first Qobuz enabled version), I’m finding I’m using Audirvana more and more recently, it just sounds good, and now plays fairly reliably.

I used to use Audirvana when I had the MM+Hugo, but since I switched to the Linn Klimax DSM, I can no longer use Audirvana since it is incompatible to the Linn DS in UPnP mode.

Another new feature I’m loving is the play artist, which goes to local and streaming services to play a mix of tunes. It also finds appearances on charity albums etc. which is a nice bonus.

So now on the artists page one can play now which is what I refer to above or select Roon Radio which will play music “similar to” the chosen artist.

Currently “playing” the Felice Brothers in preparation for a concert in January.

.sjb

3 Likes

No, but why would you have a Qobuz purchase not in your library though? The way it is makes sense to me just the streaming service and nothing to do with purchases. If you have bought it it’s downloaded and part of my library and Roon sees it as local files.

…this upgrade is SQ wise outstanding! My first impression was right- much more dynamic, less “backround noise”, much clearer…I love it! Roon was a metadata music engine but now it’s really a non-compromise SW even for high-end fans :wink:

2 Likes

Simply because we don’t all do things the same way, and I happen to like seamlessly accessing my Qobuz purchases direct from Roon as I can with Audirvana or the Qobuz app - I can buy on Qobuz and play almost immediately in Roon without having to download the TAR file of a GB or more, decompress, organise/move items to an accessible storage device/NAS. I don’t have all my purchases on a single device either, and some I’ve not downloaded in full (thinks huge Maria Callas bargain).

I also like the fact that I can access my Purchase history easily without fiddling with filters (even if it would work), whereas the library includes content from all sources - ripped CDs, iTunes/7Digital/Qobuz/Amazon purchases etc - I don’t always want to be browsing a huge library.

Some will run Roon on laptops/Macbooks with limited internal storage too, and if away from home Roon would provide access to purchases so long as ou have decent internet - admittedly you may be away from a decent audio device.

It just strikes me that it would be a trivial task to implement a Preference for merging accessible purchases available online with local media - if duplication annoyed you turn it off, if it didn’t leave it on, or just don’t merge purchases by default and retain the ability to stream purchases over the internet from the Qobuz section.

Does Audivarna link your purchases in its Qobuz section to the downloaded files in your library? Qobuz app is a closed system and its tracking all its files downloaded within it so it’s easy for this to work no so for third parties.

Personally I had no issues with how they launched it but many where very confused.

I’ve been using this feature today quite a bit and really enjoying it. However, I have a strange problem with the feature that I have reported to Roon Support on the Roon Community forum.

It appears to be the case that (on every second track that Roon Radio Selects), no album/track details are available when I select the ‘Details’ screen. Every other track displays correctly.

A very strange pattern! I take it you haven’t experienced any similar problem?

No, I haven’t seen that but it’s not a page I navigate to a lot anyway so could miss it. Is it no information or just no artwork. I am having some issues with artwork not appearing and having to flush the cache.

.sjb

1 Like

It’s both - no information and no artwork. So, for example there is no way to add the album to one’s library.

The problem has been intermittent though, and the last dozen or so tracks selected by Roon have been fine with both information and artwork present.

1 Like

Roon 1.7 is a festering pile of streaming crap for me playing Qobuz. It keeps advancing the the next track before the current track finishes. Looks like others are having this problem too. Now I am playing Qobuz by chromecasting it to my NDX2 from the Qobuz iPhone app.

2 Likes