Roon 1.7 and Roon live radio released

I prefer 1.7 to 1.6, though please don’t ask me to explain all the hifi speak differences. I’m just enjoying the music more.

Hope this helps, BF

2 Likes

Currently up to date on Roon 1.7, build 505.

Roon has sounded very good indeed since the upgrade to 1.7, but it had also sounded pretty good before the upgrade. Any improvement I perceive could simply be put down to day-to-day variation in sound quality due to any number of environmental factors.

However, I can say that it certainly sounds at least as good as before.

2 Likes

I’d demand a refund immediately!

@emrei Your heart will go on… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do feel that the native Linn Kazoo for the Linn Kilmax sounds better than Roon, but the Linn Kazoo GUI sucks big time.

No difference that I can tell.

3 Likes

Not sure why it would it’s sending it via OpenHome the same as Linn does.

Yep, there must be something in there, even I make sure that I disable Roon DSP.

What’s your core running on?

4 different devices at diiferent times:

2 devices with Intel i7 with 32 G RAM
1 MM (2016) with 16 G RAM 512 G SSD
1 QNAP NAS with 8 G RAM

Roon sounds inferior to Linn Kazoo on all these 4 devices (all of these are hared wired to a Cisco switch, and optimized for Roon), and I do not think a Roon Nucleus would make any differences.

I think the Linn top of the line streamer is very sensitive to the inputs.

Whats the server and music on when streaming from Kazoo same system as Roon? I hear no difference between UPnP and Roon on my system. Maybe its a compromise on having to use OpenHome and not RAAT as they would not go for that being Linn.

For the listening tests, I always stream identical pieces of music from Qobuz.

I had the same opinion before. I wasn’t happy with my SQ with NUCi73BNH (Roon Core). Flat, no dynamics vs Audirvana 3.5 by UPNP. Unfortunately, Audirvana is buggy, I didn’t want to play with computers, but simply listen music. So, I bought a Nucleus. Wow! There is a difference. A big one. Why? I don’t know, but I don’t care. The music is back! It’s all that matters : )

1 Like

Cool, good for you.

I am currently relatively happy with the Roon sound, I just wish it is better than Audirvana and the native Linn Kazoo, and I think it is getting there eventually (given time).

Right now, I do not need a Roon Nucleaus or anything, I just want Roon to stream lossless music, no add or subtract anything from the original source, no dsp whatsoever because I think the Linn Klimax DSM/3 is supposed to do rendering and it is very good at that.

I’m using a NUC8i7BEH and it sounds great. Today I swapped my 282 for a 252 and now it sounds even better, fantastic. In any case, I certainly have no desire to swap out my NUC8 for a Nucleus. It’s the same damn thing at 1/4th the cost of a Nucleus Plus or less than half a Nucleus (actually better, since I have 1TB internal SSD for my file library). The Nucleus is a ready-to-go out-of-box appliance with support. That’s what you get for the massive extra cost but I don’t see any additional advantage, IMO.

A very nice custom design the and passive case. Nucleus was built to be a silent device for the rack and it has the extra bits in the os to deal with no fan as they know exactly how it all works and the heat it can dissapate. Rock on the other hand is not built for fanless use and had nothing in the OS to deal with it. Its expects fan cooling and as a result may in the end cause damage to your NuC if your using a third party silent enclosure. Roon have said this and actually don’t recommend it especially for the i7.

… which leads you to the middle ground of a purpose designed & built, silent, fanless server with similar processing speed to the Nucleus+: the Audiostore Prestige 3 or SonicTransporter (as sold in N America).

Best regards, BF

1 Like

When I ran Roon on a fanless QNAP I found SQ could be improved slightly by shutting down any other music servers and redundant processes.

That said, the Nucleus still sounded better.

hth

Mike

My local dealership, which sells many $250,000 and up systems, did audition Roon extensively and decided to adopt it as their in-house system. They sell it, but they can’t make much money selling a few $500 Nucleuses vs. $100,000 Magico and Rockport speakers etc etc etc

1 Like

This isn’t what I have found. On my system Roon replay sounds every bit as good as that of Kazoo (possibly better - but that may just be deficient audio memory recall or ambient environment changes) through my Klimax DS/1.