Roon 1.7 build 571

So what’s happening it won’t login at all?

Logs in. If you check in settings/services it shows as signed in. Very odd

And then it just won’t play? What messages are you getting ?

What’s your core running on, try setting you router to use Google’s dns servers 8.8.8.8 and cloudflare 1.1.1.1 sometimes ISP dns are a bit rubbish and cause some issues.

Currently getting no messages. It just hangs. DNS server s already 8.8.8.8.
It’s a bit odd, as it was all working up until last Wednesday. My money is currently on my ISP. There is a lot of latency when loading a me images for m some sites.

Who you with? My Virgin connections been up and down during the whole lockdown.

This was something that Roon recommended to me when I reported metadata problems with Roon Radio after the 1.7 release last year. Unfortunately, some ISPs (including my ISP - Sky) completely lock down DNS lookup, and so it wasn’t possible for me to make the recommended change.

I was never really convinced that the issue was related to DNS, but I had resigned myself to living with the problem up until the release of build 571 last week. Following the 571 update, the Roon Radio metadata problem has completely disappeared, and Roon Radio once again for the first time in over 6 months presents me with the appropriate metadata and artwork flawlessly.

A local ISP that go from copper to a fibre box in the village. Normally ok.

It is interesting to read the Roon COO’s roadmap with regard to the ARM-based Macs. You need to go over to the Roon site to find out what it is.

No No … this is just such bad generalised advice - sorry. You should use your ISP DNS always as that is optimised for your ISP and will be significantly more performant - only use a third party DNS in a disaster scenario or there is some specific reason - but do expect a performance hit.
If you want to understand how and why please read the DNS RFCs

BTW not saying that is causing the Qobuz issue here - I have had no issue at all with the latest Roon and Qobuz… I obviously do use the ISP DNS for optimum performance.

@Simon-in-Suffolk, is local ISP DNS really better than the Google one? I find it the other way round, at least with my local ISP.

Your comment prompted me to do some research, and it turns out the Google DNS is 45% faster than my local ISP DNS.

There are many freely available tools that can be used to measure a DNS’s response time.I use Namebench from the Google developer code archive.

Sorry that’s a complete opposite to everything I have read, also Virgins are notoriously bad and where dreadful when I used them. Switching to using Google’s and Cloudflare improved everything.

Yes, of course if you have poor ISP you might be saddled between a rock and a hard place… and you may need to use DNS resolver like Google… but there will be a performance hit compared to using a quality ISP.

Your ISP, if a significant quality ISP, will provide a network of DNS resolvers that will cache the values of the authoritative name servers. The bigger your ISP is the more likely the larger it’s cache system is, and so the greater probability your ISP DNS recursive resolver will hit a match without needing to recursively forward the request. Google operates a network of DNS recursive resolvers too… and simply relies on its size like a large ISP.

The next consideration is the performance to your ISP recursive resolver DNS. This DNS almost certainly will be in your ISP administrative domain and put simply there will be less hops or routers to it than external DNS resolvers. What this means is that resolution will be quicker… typically a lot quicker, where authority’s name server info is cached.

So yes you can hopefully see that unless your ISP operates a small DNS recursive resolver, then the majority of lookups will be quicker, sometimes significantly if using your ISP DNS.

There does seem to be much mis information or in my opinion mis leading information aimed at the novice or consumer about DNS on the web without being substantiated…and described as the general case.

So let’s look at some A record resolving examples…

A record: qobuz.co.uk DNS query flags qr rd ra

Using my ISP (BT) router (SmartHub2) as default DNS

9.3 to 16 mS

Using my ISP DNS recursive resolver (62.6.40.178 ) bypassing my ISP router DNS

11.9 to 16.3 mS

Using Google DNS recursive resolver (8.8.8.8)

42.5 to 56.5 mS

All flags and resolved names remain the same, and these timings are made using wifi. In this example using BT, google is four to five times slower. (400 to 500% slower)

This is interesting info, so your local DSN performs much better than the Google DNS!
The Google “namebench” tool is fairly comprehensive and I have no reason to doubt the output stats results from it, if it says it is faster than my local DNS (in this case Comcast/Xfinity) by 45%, it would believe it.

Recommended configuration (fastest + nearest):

nameserver 8.8.8.8 # Google Public DNS
nameserver 75.75.75.75 # Comcast DNSSEC US
nameserver 216.83.236.227 # NetworkTel US

Mean response (in milliseconds):

Google Public DN ## 50.57
SYS-2601:644:8b0 ### 72.07
OpenDNS ### 78.01
Hurricane Electr ### 79.79
DynGuide ##################################################### 1888.95

In this test, Google Public DNS is 42.5%: Faster

I guess the acid test is to run a tool on your LAN, which is what I did. LAN Analyzer on iOS can do this… and you can control records and flags. Here we want the A name record resolution and nothing else.

Anyway,…an update of sorts.
Roon asked me to put a core on another PC. Which works fine.
So, I formatted the SSD that was attached to my NAS, reinstalled the roon app on the NAS, and rebuilt the core in the SSD.
Same fault. Locally stored content runs fine via Roon, but Roon will not play qobuz.
Qobuz plays fine from the Naim app or, via a pc.

So the Nas is the likely issue then if it worked on other hardware with Roon. Was there any firmware updates to the NAS during this period. The Nas version is not maintained by Roon themselves but a member of the Roon community. Have you dropped him a message?

It’s not always speed though, that makes your use others. Virgin my providers dns used to go down regularly so things just stopped. Streaming from Tidal also was bad and this is pre Roon constant dropouts. I changed dns and everything just worked as it should. Your lucky perhaps with BT having better resources, but Virgin keep over utilising their entire network adding more people without the infrastructure behind it. Last time I tried their dns a year a go it was still crap and unreliable. I can’t change as they are the only fibre provider in my area and I am not going back to ADSL.

Not contacted the NAS software person yet. I sort of assumed I’d not be the only Synology / Roon user! But you do not know.
The last Synology update was about 3 weeks ago, some before I had issues. I’m struggling a bit with this now as I’m in the hands of Roon/ qobuz/ Synology/.
It does work fine using a core on a W10 machine. So I guess I can continue my trial on that. But then it would commit me to turning on my PC ( as well as all my hifi gear) to listen to music. The NAS turns itself off at night. And being a NAS just sits silently ready to serve.

I am sure I read somewhere else on the Roon forum somebody having issues with Synology and the had to turn something off. Cant for the life of me remember what it was but it was network firewall related.

Gosh I’m starting to feel grateful that all this stuff just works for me with no issue(s)