Roon 1.8

Thanks!

Just confused myself by having a look at the ‘Colors’ file on my PC, and not being able to reconcile what I see in my file with the posts of the file on the ‘Tinkering’ site.

Then I realised I was looking at the ‘colors’ file from version 1.7 because I haven’t ‘upgraded’ yet! I take it that the ‘colors’ file in 1.7 is completely different?

You can change the fonts by renaming them to what the old ones were (i.e. tricking it). Resizing is more tricky, and doesn’t work that well imo. I’ve settled on SF Pro Regular for text and Franklin Gothic Book for titles.

2 Likes

Could I ask you where it is, and what you actually edit in order to change the fonts? I would be very happy with the fonts you have used in this screenshot.

From the various threads on the Roon forum I am aware of the ‘Color’ file (and its location on a Windows 10 PC), but I am not aware of the file (or its location) that needs to be edited in order to change fonts, nor the one that can be edited to replace the constricting circles around artists with the original rectangles.

I haven’t ‘upgraded’ from 1.7 to 1.8 yet so I can’t just have a dig around on my PCs.

One final question for now - is it possible to change background and font colours on an iPad Air?

Best to sit down with a cuppa and have a long read of the customizing themes over on the Roon forum under the Tinkering category.

But in a nutshell, on a Mac (I don’t use PC’s) if you right click the app icon file and show 'package content’s, the colors file is in Resources> Themes> Dark or Light The fonts are under resources as well. Lato Regular, Bold and Medium are for text (I replaced with SF Pro Regular, the Apple iOs font) and GrifoS and GrifoM for the headlines. Just change the name of the font you want to replace any of those with the original name - in other words, you are tricking the program to read what it thinks is GrifoS but is actually Avenir (I can’t recall if I’m using Avenir to Franklin Gothic Book now for titles). Be sure to check the file type - if it’s an otf for example, Roon won’t open if it’s supposed to be a ttf file. You can just rename the file type no problem.

No, nothing to be done about phones or tablets.

1 Like

Just a quick note here … I changed over unfortunately this coincided me changing my NUC for a powerful mini HTPC … so there was allot going on change wise… initially I thought MEH … then I followed Simons advice and changed the render from 32bit to 24bit … this definitely was noticeable… more depth, details etc … (apparantly this trick works on the latest Naim streamers…). Next thing change out the cheap Chinese switch mode PSU for a decent powerful LPS…

Always best to try, it is easy enough. (Might also depend on whether you use volume leveling or not). Though as far as I know, later experiments by Simon showed a difference for different devices. I had seen the same advice, so I asked him when I found this in another thread:

and he kindly clarified if he still preferred 24 or not:

1 Like

Indeed it has alternated, as it seems to depend on the DAC for me… but right now with HMS and Dave I leave it at 32 bit… and with 1.8 it really sounds pretty awesome… I am listening to Carla Thomas compilation album‘Carla’ in 192/24… and it is fantastic… certainly worth taking an afternoon off work for :grinning:

I also read Roon has improved its dither algorithm in 1.8… which is very likely relevant here.

3 Likes

Always left at 32bit for me on the Atom, it’s only changing the bits form 24 or 16 if you use DSP. But even when I was using convolution it didn’t make any discernable difference to me so stuck with 32.

I always use lossless, and let Roon figure out the best sampling rate and bitwidth for me. For the Linn Akurate, it figures out that the defaul (max) is 24 bit and max. sample rate is 192 kGz, for the Chord Hugo 1 I think it is 368 kHz/32 bit

Thanks for your help!

I decided to bite the bullet yesterday and ‘upgraded’ to 1.8 despite my reservations. The update was quick and flawless, and haven’t experienced any real issues so far. Performance in 1.8 is on a par with that of 1.7 for me.

I am very happy that Roon appear to have resolved the issue in respect of intermittent missing metadata in the Roon Radio display. I have been playing Roon Radio constantly since upgrading without a single issue, and the selections offered have been excellent.

Whilst I still prefer the aesthetics of version 1.7’s UI, i have been playing about with some of the colour themes from the ‘Tinkering’ section on the Roon forum. These have certainly toned down the stark black on white and white on black screens and introduced a little subtlety to the colour scheme.

One question for you - I have tried out the theme you came up with in the Roon forum. I like it it a lot, but have one issue with it. For some reason, I am unable to replace artist and composer circular borders with rectangles when using your theme. On any other theme I have tried, I don’t have a problem changing to rectangles. Have you tried to replace the artist circles?

1 Like

yes, sometimes I have a feeling that I am looking at webpage of a tabloit magazine instead of my music manager software.

I did. I’m on a Mac. I was sent a png file by David Nightingale who has been spearheading this over on the Roon forum. Just put ‘old-…’ in front of the native frame file and dragged and dropped the png into resources to replace it. Not sure how to help beyond that!

1 Like

Yes - it’s strange!

As you can see I have managed it with a different theme. Your theme worked for me on its own, but, when I tried replacing the png file whilst using your theme the default theme was displayed.

It doesn’t make any sense, but it was very late at night last night and I probably got it wrong. I’ll give it another try sometime this evening.

1 Like

This may have been covered above (635 posts and counting).

I have found that if I use roon 1.8 to play to my NDX2 it is then ‘locked’ to roon; previously in 1.7 I could switch back to control via the Naim App by just selecting and playing another source (radio, local file, Qobuz) in the naim app to the NDX2, Atom etc… Now I have to ‘disable’ the NDX2 in roon settings/audio to get it to ‘release’ the device.

Not impressed.

I have been a big fan of roon’s usability for the last two years, but now I have standardised onto the Naim platform across 3 devices I am using roon less and less - relying on Radio Paradise streams and Qobuz prompts to discover new music (which I did before roon), and getting a better sound quality in my setup than with roon, even using my Atom as the ‘server’ with a SSD attached, then playing the selected music on the NDX2 - not the greatest user interface, but it works surprisingly well.

Just tried your use case with my ndx2 and roon 1.8 and it is working fine for me. I use an iPad for roon and the naim app.

Not happening to me either, Android 10

Fine for me, part of the Roon Ready programme is convenience switching from Roon control to device control. I have no issues with this on 1.8 I suggest a reboot of both core and streamer. Roon also sounds the same as UPnP on the Atom I hear no differences with either.

Fine for me on my Nova switching from one source to another either within Naim app, Roon on iOS/macOS or using Nova as an Airplay endpoint for AppleTV.

‘Lockout’ issue now resolved through a reboot of the NUC running roon, probably first one since 1.8 upgrade.
Not quite an ‘appliance’.

Roon have just posted an update, it addresses some of the complaints that they have seen.

Not available on ios but a Core update is available and I have installed it and so far all is well.

7 Likes