Roon 2.0

Main Q’s for me re ROON ARC:
Cost
Will it work with Apple CarPlay
Will it work with the new “Dynamic Island”

Oh well, that was a great start as the download link downloaded 1.8.

So I have a copy for posterity I guess, I would simply have preferred to do a clean install of 2.0 without having to upgrade.

Is it just mobile listening? I dont need that, so no other change i can see. At least i can still play music on 2.0 same as I could yesterday.

Free I assume apart from any costs for mobile data usage. Downloaded the iOS app.
Apple CarPlay will be quite handy assuming it works.
The dynamic island looks like a gimmick to me, but it might be handy in practice assuming Roon support it (I assume later rather than now). Still on an older iPhone here.

1 Like

Doesn’t Roon allow you to just turn off automatic updates and stay with a version?

So far I haven’t seen anything about Roon 2 and improving the SQ. Pretty uninteresting update if so. Just more “lifestyle” stuff. I would at least expect them to fix the dithering on the auto-leveling feature.

Hi… nothing complicated. I mix and master in my music studio… however I like to play back my trial masters and mixes on different systems and environments, and I make notes. Roon is simply a tool that makes that easy for me which is why I use it(though don’t tend to use Roon in the studio itself). I just point Roon to my project shares… et voila the tracks appear in Roon… to play back on any Roon enabled system in my house… and I can even play back on my hybrid Naim system.

If mobile I could hear in the car or mobile headsets etc… when out and about and not have to faff about by copying or uploading files… and with meta data it’s easy to catalogue versions….

It works for me…

1 Like

Went for the update … server updated, control points more of a hassle as had to delete them and reinstall them (6th gen iPad and iPhone 8).

1 Like

Yes, it does:

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 17.30.42

I’ve been migrating my computing over to an M1 Mac Mini in recent months, and my 2012 Mac Mini was previously the ‘Roon core’. I just deauthorised the 2012 machine for Roon.

As announcements were up I assumed the downloaded Roon app would be 2.0, typically when it opened it was 1.8. 2.0 will run better on the M1 Mini as older versions required ‘translation’ software to run the Intel app on the Apple silicon based platform.

In a way I’d have preferred a ‘clean’ install of 2.0 which is not what I got. It may not matter at all of course.

1 Like

Yes - same here. All done and all working. I’ll have a proper play later.

1 Like

Can’t really figure it out how to download music on my iPhone in Roon ARC app… Any idea guys?

Thanks, I missed this. I am still trying to find some use of my Roon license :slight_smile:

And it is great they (or the Microsoft tools they use) now support Apple Silicon.

1 Like

On my Zen Mk.II I can’t see my Roon in > SERVER > SETTINGS > INTEGRATIONS.

Unless I’m being thick I believe you can only download local files e.g. CD rips to a HHD

I don’t think you can download streamed files from Qobuz / Tidal etc… which IMO makes it pretty pointless.

On another note I’m stuck in a loop and can’t log into my account despite the ROCK being on 2.0.

1 Like

Just noticed, it says “unable to securely access your Roon Core” :confused:

Try deleting the Roon app, then reinstalling. You’re probably out of sync between the Core on 2.0 and app still on 1.8.

3 Likes

Awesome, why didn’t I think of this !!!

All fixed. Many thanks.

1 Like

I’m really pleased with this update. I use my phone or Sony Walkman for music while away and this will allow access to so much more with an almost identical interface to local Roon.

Hopefully they change it to allow downloading to SD storage on Android devices for offline listening. I’ve voted for this feature request as the Walkman only has 16gb of internal storage and I have a whopping Micro SD card that’s crying out for downloaded music.

2 Likes

CarPlay is not fully functional yet it seems:

1 Like

Native M1 support for macOS and .NET on Mac instead of Mono (i.e. the Roon app and Roon Server, not the ARC app). Should put performance limitations on macOS to bed

Indeed, it can display on the car screen but interaction is through the phone (and hence not allowed when driving). CarPlay support is officially on the roadmap for a future ARC update. Android Auto as well.

3 Likes