Roon 2.0

Not yet but it may well come in the future if enough request it. They may come up with a way to cast to Roon Endpoints who knows. You can use AirPlay when using ARC using system AirPlay, I assume Chromecast to on Android.

If you had your Roon backup on a portable disk, you could take that to the second location, or run a second backup disk to run with Roon on the second system.

Running the Roon Core on a laptop takes care of this for me. With my local music stored on a USB drive and the rest from Qobuz, my location becomes irrelevant and Roon just works.

1 Like

Just installed ARC. It was probably the easiest set up ever. Everything just worked and the app looks fabulous. Nicely done, it must be said.

2 Likes

As I was part of the discussion above that had the angle your comment is against, if it came across that I am trying to be a scaremonger, that is not the intention. I am a web developer, not a security expert, and have concerns for myself as a Roon user that I seek answers to. So yes I certainly do not know the ins and outs of network security. I also agree that the chance that a hacker comes after a single Roon user is small.

However, even the link to the UK Gov Cyber guidelines suggests using 2FA (two factor authentication which is stated on the website as 2SV), which would be the one thing with ARC that would have put my mind at ease. The government websites from the UK around best practices online, be it security or accessibility are certainly some of the best you can find, so thank you for sharing that.

Another point to note is that my router log reports daily port scans so it is not not always true that the ISP blocks it.

For me the current implementation is not enough to put my mind at ease so I won’t be using ARC for now.

Again if it came across that I am here to misinform that is not the intention.

1 Like

Many thanks!

yes.

I blocked internet acecss to my Roon server for a while to see what the experience was like.

It seems to allow local playback of music, albeit with some limitations.

• Search doesn’t work but filters do.
  • The home page doesn’t fully draw as most of the content comes from the web
  • The albums and artist pages allow access to your music. It’s a bit slow to draw the graphics
  • Music playback of local files works fine, albeit it can take some moments to start playback

It’s certainly a degraded experience but probably wouldn’t have me starting up my QNAP to use Asset/Naim app instead.

1 Like

Apparently it does, eventually, after maybe a few hours, stop…

I gather it’s unpredictable, but I guess in most instances shortish glitches won’t be a problem.

Roon could just add a certificate based authentication method using SSL/PKI relatively easily, it seems that the trust is established using username and password alone and the access is created by port forwarding setup either automatically using UPnP or manually by the end user.
The authentication hash could also be based on a UID from the iOS/Android OS application as well to establish further levels of trust granularity.

1 Like

Plex has offered the same outside access for years and I have not heard of anyone being hacked because of it. I myself have used it for many years. Maybe I am lucky or hackers really are not interested in video collection.

Plex themselves did recently get hacked mind and got off with usernames and passwords, password are encrypted but I guess they will try and get them. Changed mine and plex does have 2FA which Roon should be using these days as standard.

1 Like

As I mentioned above, the install went well on my server, and iPhone and iPad after a restart; however, my MacMini (2014) was problematic. I had to down load 2.0 several times over a couple of days before it would eventually load up. The MM was only a control point but useful for viewing details when working in my study.

I’ve downloaded ARC and am waiting for a trip to my brothers to try it out over his WiFi. I’ve only downloaded one album so far but will do some more today.

1 Like

Just turn off your Wi-Fi and try it in 4g… that’s what I did today

Well I went ahead and got Arc working, pretty cool so far👍🏿

4 Likes

I’ve been listening via ARC all day. Set of a Roon mix of Yo La Tengo on the way in to work, it’s been on radio since then and chosen the best mix, it’s been truly on song and one of my best adhoc sessions. Was hard to focus on work. Love ARC !!! Just want to be able to change playing to normal Roon when back home. Soon perhaps.

1 Like

Would a Tidal/Qobuz mix of Tengo not be similar? I have ARC setup but not sure why it’s any better than existing options like Tidal etc.

Not necessarily as it uses my own rips as well that not all are on those services. Also it mixes that up with stuff I don’t have from either service. Qobuz mixes are crap and they don’t have a decent radio to play afterwards. Tidals My Mixes are ok but they don’t always deliver; Roon radio doesn’t either sometimes but of late it’s been better for me than any service.

A couple of things, now that I am away from home (work) I am using Arc, but it says cannot find core…or poor connection. Now we have Wifi here, so I have been switching that on and off to try and reach my home library.
I have not managed to play anything from my own music yet, just music from Tidal, which is my playlists, so that’s cool.
It seems like Arc is just working like the
Tidal App, but I do get the Roon interface.
I am across the city, maybe 10 miles from home, but also inside a building.
Maybe if I walk outside later and use my cellphone data, it might work…not sure yet?
At the very least, I have Roon on the go with all the cool features I guess.
Will the Arc App work on its own, without finding my Core? Not sure what I am actually using at this point.

Hi - I was not inferring to anyone on this forum specifically - I was referring generally about scaremongering by some.

In short the method of communication Roon uses is no better or worse than many domestic internet applications, but yes when you connect to the internet, and more generally the web unless you specifically trust your target site for it not to be compromised or malicious but your are exposing your browser and its OS and ultimately your home network to a risk.

You manage that risk by the effort required by an attacker for a given return or gain… hence why regular web hygiene functions and consumer firewalls are generally fine. Sure if you are protecting high value assets then you would have a different level of security management such as for a largish commercial operation - and in which case you would run something like Roon Core in a DMZ, and you would likely use certificated wifi account management rather than username and password but remember many consumer protocols and applications are not designed to run in this way.

Yes where you are protecting access to sensitive and.or high value data on a server - and where there is a chance a username and password could be compromised to a remote service - multi factor authentication is recommended - but without resorting to certificates and private keys machine to machine communication will be limited here.
Roon does advise you if its see a new or unexpected source IP address using your account.

But yes ultimately the use of the internet has to be assessed by understanding the risks associated with using a public network… just like the risk of driving down a public road. Generally it will be fine - but occasionally accidents happen through no fault of your own - so you ensure you have the appropriate insurance and backups.

4 Likes

Not had any issues in over 2 weeks. Not sure why it would cause that unless your isp uploads are not great. Streaming services go direct I have been led to believe from them to ARC so not through the core or your home network. So this may account for that?