Roon 2.0

Ok I just walked outside to the middle of our parking lot. Switched to cellular and was able to play an album from home…COOL, like this a lot!

2 Likes

My first attempt on 4G mobile was a complete failure, couldn’t play anything :flushed:

My first attempt on a low quality network went fine. I really dig the potential of this upgrade. Listening to a few tracks that are only in my local library! I did have to use port forwarding on my pfsense firewall/router but that was super easy

2 Likes

What happened, did a Kangaroo swipe your phone out of your hand?:kangaroo::kangaroo::kangaroo:
Just joking Mike, I was having a real hard time yesterday too. I ended up deleting the Arc App from my phone.
Also I deleted the Roon desktop icon from my Laptop (uninstalled it) and downloaded it again, everything worked like a charm since I did that.
Not saying it is necessary, coz I don’t really understand any of this stuff, but it worked for me.

1 Like

I agree with you Roonlabs did a bad (even naive) job with the security. That other manufacturers also do a bad job is no excuse.

But I think the number of roon-users are far too small to interest the professional hacker groups. And they are the ones building the tools & libraries that others then use to break in (a port is enough) and do the real damage (like infecting/encrypting the clients on your network).

So if you need the feature have a go at it. If your neighbor teenager hacks your password what can he/she do? Fill your server with Justin Bieber songs :slight_smile:

It really isn’t, else the whole internet would be permanently compromised

1 Like

Did it not connect or refused to play?

What settings do you have set? Wi-Fi I am on original and balanced for cellular but if worries about data usage and have low bandwidth as well bandwidth optimised is a good option.

One thing did you check in the main Roon apps ARC section so we if t can connect from outisde? If your on you home Wi-Fi it will work without the port wiring as it connects locally you need to check it’s configured ok.

1 Like

Yes it is good isn’t it … and with a 4G/5G access it works sublimely … using it in this way yesterday… playing some of my CD rips remotely via my smart phone.

1 Like

Indeed the thing to look for is the port address used on your Roon Core for ARC is the same as used on the remote ARC app… I did notice I had to watch this when setting up… perhaps Roon could improve the software here in the next revision.

As long as Roon Core ARC self test works out positive (settings/Roon ARC) … I would then hit reset config on the remote ARC app on your phone etc and get it to reconnect and synchronise

Roon ARC just works perfectly for me when I am driving around town, I can stream Qobuz and my local lib seamlessly.

Exactly… totally agree… I think if that was your mentality I would not use public networking and COTS software full stop…… and limit yourself to a private networking and a walled garden, with bespoke software… so you would wave good bye to the internet and the World Wide Web.

There does seem to be a lot of misinformation, outdated thinking and naivity about this sort of thing (which in itself is a kind of security vulnerability) … we are not in the 2000s now… I am curious where it comes from … perhaps social media… which using from a security perspective is higher risk in itself.

My recommendation is as before where you can, is follow the UK government NCSC guidance for individuals and families where you can, much of it is common sense,… those are more likely and common threats you need to mindful of in using public networks and services accessed via public networks. The gamut of protection and good practice advise goes far beyond internet connectivity itself.

It showed my library okay, but wouldn’t play anything. I’ll check the settings in the Roon app on my iMac.

i was the same - work wifi , no joy but on 4g all good

1 Like

Your work wifi… assuming it a commercial setup likely has web hygiene including firewalls that will limit the data flows… perhaps it only allows by default http/https ports to be open.
Think of your home router port forwarding, but in reverse………

1 Like

Yep most likely. We have three networks at work, normal Wi-Fi is for workers and clients
Phones etc and is not facing our internal working network, one locked down Wi-Fi for those that need to work on laptops and be mobile around the office and our hardwired locked down network. Both the working networks do not have front facing to the internet all goes via a secure locked down proxy that you can’t download files via or go to certain sites. Any files needed have to go via secure io channels only.

My (ex) work network wouldn’t allow media streams. Led to some interesting conversations with IT when senior management wanted people outside the network to be able to view video hosted inside.

‘work wifi’ was always an issue. Many conversations started with "it works at home - why can’t I… "

Oh - yes :slight_smile: but there are solutions to deal with that - and typically these days you would use a CDN service provider for that - rather than host locally.

indeed many commercial secure network gateways will allow web based traffic (subject to certain content themed exclusions or inclusions on the web http/https ports) - but anything not web based on the internet will likely be blocked unless it specifically has a policy assigned for it. You would typically find a policy for Microsoft Teams for example which requires a number of ports and transport protocol combinations for various addresses and subnets - or use a corporate ExpressRoute(s)

I think what @jan is saying is that a single port exposed on a server to the whole of the Internet with a vulnerability that can be remotely exploited could potentially lead to losses/damage on your internal network…nothing incorrect about that statement. That’s not the same as the whole of the Internet.

As others have pointed there’s also a risk in using your web browser to access the Internet. Each use case will have a different risk profile, some you can accurately quantify others you cant. You make your own choices.

Exactly right - its about risk and loss/impact. Its just for many the whole area of web/internet/online/cloud/email/hacks/backdoors/malcious software etc is strewn with scaremongering and mis information which makes it hard for many to do a proper risk assessment or gauge the risk and perhaps equally worrying make wrong judgements and false securities based on outdated thinking. Perhaps not helped by some of the media / social media that often seem to over sensationalise the sinister aspects of such things - with a sinister sound track to make the viewing more compelling… and drive the add click revenue up…

Real advice such as on the NCSC guidance pages is hardly a compelling page turner… but is balanced and in my opinion sound and everyone who uses the internet (at least in the UK) should follow or be mindful of it.

It is the same as stepping out of your house, driving your car, getting in an aeroplane, using a credit card etc - you make a risk assessment - but occasionally sh*t happens - however we are not limited to driving at 4mph behind a man waving a red flag anymore.

1 Like