Roon, NAC 272 and Muso Qb2

In the past I used an Allo Digione (that was before the Signature Digione was released) into an ND5XS – this worked a treat too. And as you note, this doesn’t cost the world – certainly not by Naim standards…

So I received the señore upnp. Loaded roon.
The sound is dramatically reduced. It’s like some one putting a plastic bag over speakers .
To make sure it’s not the internet I listened to the same song on the Naim app which is far better.
Any suggestions?

Ricto

Sounds like the power supply to the Sonore UPNP might need revision.

I had to put an apple usb plug on end of cable as it came with USA plug connectors.
What would be a better power supply?
The quality has down graded at least £5k it could be Roon or the señores?

Richard

Can’t be switch?

I use lms-to-upnp with no issues (on a Mac, can run on a suitable NAS). Details here…

Those Apple chargers are pretty noisy things, so I don’t think it’ll be helping.
Roon have never claimed that their transport sounds any better than UPnP, but I do think it can sound as good. Worth persevering, I would say.

Thanks for that. I am not looking to improve sound with Roon but definitely cannot live with the sound reduction I am receiving comparing like for like with Naim app.

This Hifi thing can lead you to despair!!!
I’m going to try a better Ethernet cable not sure I want to waste any more money on power cables but at least I know it can be as good as Naim app.

I have read the post suggested but that did not really explore the issue of sound reduction but just how to set Roon up in the first place.

My thoughts are just to get a dedicated source like the nucleus but worried now it will sound crap.

Richard

Just fired email of to Sonore to see what they suggest.

Tried an ifi plug and it made a big difference

I would expect that to be a bit better than an iPhone charger, although it may be worth experimenting with some other PSUs if you have the patience and can demo them with the option to return.
Rather than focusing exclusively on power supplies, it might be worth checking your Roon configuration. It’s easy to change the Roon Core settings on their app, and generally I find it best to keep things like DSP turned off.

Nucleus is an expensive solution for a roon core.
I have changed over to using an Innuos Zen Mini MkIII. I did have firstly an nucleus+, then an Intel NUC7i5 for my roon core.

Can you plug a usb SSD drive into the Sonore upnp bridge USB port and this acts as core? Just thinking might be another option rather than a NAS drive which i use at the moment.
Also the sound quality has picked up, not sure why. The volume going to full volume is very very annoying to.

You should have the volume at fixed 100% on the bridge I believe which is likely why your experiencing sq issues. Or your getting attenuation before it reaches the preamp. @simon.pepper might be able to help you here and advise.

No you can’t use the bridge as a core in any way.

Have you checked that the spec of your NAS is OK to run Roon?

I notice the Sonore UPnP bridge has 4 USB ports, but no explanation of their purpose as far as I can see. Maybe you can use them for music storage?

It is small computer with sonores os on it so likely a biproduct of that what purpose they serve other than perhaps service I don’t know . He has asking if it could be used as a core which was what I was saying.

Hi,
Not sure of your configuration, but I have the Roon ‘Audio Source’ for the SonoreUPnP Bridge set at 100% and use the volume control on my amp to control output levels. Effectively I using my Streamer as a CD player with a fixed output.

In terms of inputs to the SonoreUPnP bridge, this is just the Ethernet connection carrying the stream from the Roon Core.
If you wish to mount external USB discs, then I would suggest building a ROCK server using a NUC.

In terms of the USB ports on the SGC SonoreUPnP Bridge device, I think they are there as they are using a RaspberryPi as the board to run the software. What options do you have the configuration page for this device. If all it can do is run the SonoreUPnP Bridge, then I doubt it has the drivers and sub-systems in the OS to support the USB ports, mounting drives etc. Just treat that device as an input enabler for your Naim streamer, providing Roon capability.

I was just mildly curious as to why the box had 4 USB ports on it. SGC make no reference to them on the product web page. If you want music storage of course you can attach it to your Roon Core device, so no need for that on the UPnP bridge box.

How would you rate the 3 of them in terms of effect on SQ?