Roon Nucleus+

This is nothing to do with powering on the switch although it happens with that also. If you powered of the Nucleus then turn it on, it will take the switch 30 secs to check all is ok before it will give it full access. This is the issue. Nucleus sees it has a network connection as soon as its up and running which is about 10 secs and attempts to connect to services, but it cant at this point as the switch has not allowed it full network access or internet. Its the same for my Atom, TV and Nvidia Shield TV, I have when first powered up from cold they take ages to establish full connection. When its up and running its fine, its only from power cycle its an issue. Until the fix though Roon OS just timed out and would then not connect to the streaming services, you would have to restart just the Roon server software part to kick start them back (this is not a full hardware reboot)

I use internet over the mains with Devolo 1200 units. One of these feeds the Cisco 2960 and my naim nd555, uniticore are connected via the switch, so isolated from the LAN. If I connect the N+ to the 2960 it cannot find the naim units. If I connect the N+ to the second port on the Devolo then connection is fine.

Can you log into the Nucleusā€™ web UI when its connected to the switch?

Custom HiFi Cables (http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home) make excellent power supplies and are located in the UK.

i had an israeli one before, for around 300GBP. I found the improvement little on my unitserve. I think that the nucleus, like the unitserve, must have a big linear ps to really hear the upgrade in sound.
My uptone js2 done the job very well. I donā€™t know how this custom ps is effective. Donā€™t try it or heard aboutā€¦

CHC make, among others, custom power supply units. The man behind the company is Sean Jacobs. He has designed the PSU of the InnuOS Statement. I have bought their power distribution block and I can warmly recommend them. I also have a JS-2 and it is a great PSU. But its output is max. 12V.

1 Like

Did you compare the performance of the Nucleus with its stock PSU vs. the MCRU and, if so, what did you find?

To be honest didnā€™t bother with a direct comparison. The primary reason for installing the MCRU was to remove the standard noisy switch mode supply to get noise off the mains spur that feeds my music room/system. In my experience using linear supplies has always resulted in a lower noise floor and greater dynamics but Iā€™m not sure that is as detectable when using a software control system as opposed to with hardware in the system. Hope that helps.

Thanks. My SMPSUs are isolated from my audio gear, but Iā€™m curious whether putting the Nucleus on a linear/regulated PSU might improve sonic performance

Michael, there is a thread on best linear ps for roon nucleus, on roon community forum.
I am very happy with my linear ps on my unitserve ( 12v). But the nucleus needs 19v.

Thanks. Yes Iā€™m following that one. Cheers

Doubtful, I noticed zero difference adding one to my Roon server running ROCK. If your using direct usb connection to a DAC then likely more benefit but over the network itā€™s unproven. YMMV of course and my Atom may be less susceptible to such things but others also report it has no effect, whilst others do. Like all things only you can vouch for it in your system.

Thanks. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m holding off, aside from having to find space for yet another boxā€¦

I am considering Roon. Is there any advantage in Nucleus+ over Nucleus? I will only be using it in one room together with Naim Core and Linn KDS.

Best regards

Hans

You almost certainly donā€™t need the + version. If you intend to use Roon with multiple devices simultaneously, use the DSP functions heavily such as digital room correction, and use upsampling, it may be useful to have the extra processing power, but otherwise, I donā€™t think itā€™s worth paying extra for.

1 Like

Thanks

Mr V? Itā€™s Carden. Great to see you on here! Are you still working at the same place?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.