Roon Nucleus+

i think it’s a mac mini…very probably

1 Like

Looks like a Devialet remote control unit from here, or a Mac mini with an extra special vibration damping widget on top for technical reasons…

Nucleus need 19 volt that PSU only goes to 12v

yes, the uptone can’t power the nucleus. Mac mini, unitserve…all devices from 5v to 12v. I wrote a bit quickly.

A question for anyone who runs a Nucleus, or any other dedicated device as a Roon Core. If you use local storage, either internal or USB, on that device, is it readily discoverable over your network. I guess it must be, as Roon is not a ripper or downloader, so you must be able to access the music store from a computer on your network…can you also, should you feel the need, point a UPnP server at it, for example?

I’m probably not sufficiently qualified to answer all your points as I’ve not been using computer audio long but here goes (be gentle)…
I have a UK version of Sonictransporter i7 (called a Prestige) and it uses the same SGC Linux software OS as the Sonic… it has 2tb internal storage for my cds. When I trialled roon my tablet found it on the Prestige as roon core very easily and played to my microrendu, which roon saw as an endpoint.
As it happens, at the end of my roon trial I decided not to subscribe ( for various reasons but may go back one day). Instead I use my core currently as an LMS server and this equally feeds the rendu. So yes, my core found roon very easily using a tablet on my network but I dont have a Nucleus which personally I think is rather expensive for what it is.
I have no idea if this answers your query…sorry
Steve

1 Like

Yep - it just appears as a network share. I point my Sonos system at it so I don’t see why it couldn’t be used as a network share to a separate UPnP server.

1 Like

Thanks James, just mulling over a few options at the moment. Still not convinced that I actually ‘need’ Roon, but running it on a MacBook isn’t ideal, so if I may look for a dedicated box of some sort to run the Roon Core.

1 Like

Yes, i didn’t think i needed Roon either :grinning:

I’d recommend if you do go that route moving the Core to a dedicated box. I ran the trial on my Macbook and found the responsiveness and increase in SQ quite noticeable when moving to the Nucleus. I’m putting this down to the dedicated box (for responsiveness) and the wired connection (for SQ) rather than anything else.

2 Likes

I found an increase in quality moving from Roon Core on a wired NAS (with no responsiveness issues) to running it on a Nucleus. I think the dedicated box improves SQ too.

2 Likes

Actually, I find the Macbook runs it with no trouble, it’s just that an ‘always on’ box hidden away somewhere seems like a better idea to me. I think a wired connection still sounds a little better, but it’s a bit of a faff.
As for ‘need’ - I keep using Roon, then happily drifting back to the Naim app, which really does everything I want, and I guess I’m just very familiar with it. I may trade my NDX for an NDX2, though, in which case being able to use Roon on that too might swing the balance.

3 Likes

I built my own out of an Intel NUC and Roon Rock.

2 Likes

Yes the Nucleus or ROCKS music store is available over smb share so can be accessed via a pc or nas, so yes it could also be used to feed upnp server on another device.

I would get a NUC or similar install ROCK and get a silent case and your away, dedicated Roon core no maintenance required as it will update itself and works best for Roon. The music store can be accessed by Asset or other UpnP if you wish to still run that on your nas or other such device just need to mount ROCKS smb share,.

Thanks, I assumed this wouldn’t be a problem, but just wanted to check. For now, it runs fine on my MacBook, just checking out my options.

Sounds like a plan, one that I may adopt too.

I have the N+ and a linear PS from MCRU.co.uk running with my ND555 and Uniticore. Plug and play from day one, found my two NAS drives, Synology and WD, without a problem. The only issue I’ve had is that it didn’t/doesn’t like the CISCO Catalyst 2960 8TC switch that I use to isolate the Naim geat from the network so it has to operate outside that. Both the LPS and the 8TC made a significant, positive, improvement to the sound.

I’m curious as to your comment about your Nucleus doesn’t like the Cisco switch. I have the same setup of Nucleus and Cisco switch and they play nicely together. What’s the issue with yours (i take it you are running the latest Core SW on the Nucleus) ?

Due to STP on the Cisco it does cause DNS resolution errors when it is first booted as it takes up to 30secs for the Cisco to actually allow a connection as its checking all is ok. During this RoonOS reports errors as Tidal or Qobuz can’t connect to servers and even when network is fully connected RoonOS would still not connect still giving DNS resolution errors. This has been sorted as far as I know in the last OS Upgrade for ROCK (not sure this went out for Nucleus or not). This allows it to keep attempting to connect and will do so after the internet connection is established.

Presumably it’s only necessary to keep the switch powered up so that on connecting the Roon Core, it already has a live network connection and doesn’t have to wait for the switch to complete post checks?